IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Get Golf7 R or keep IS350 F-Sport RWD

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-13, 08:38 PM
kilowong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Get Golf7 R or keep IS350 F-Sport RWD

hi everyone, i sold my golf 6 R and waited 3 months for my is350F rwd in ultra blue and grey interior. i have almost 800km on it now after delivery 1.5 weeks ago and soon will go to the 1000km service. This is my first IS and 2nd lexus, i had the RX450H for my wife.

i have immediately upgraded the 18in wheels to 19in with Michelin PSS tires because they are very good in wet as well as dry. my rays wheel is only 19lbs each and the difference is very noticeable. with stock wheels, my first impression felt not enough low end torque. after the wheels change, i think it helped with the engine under power.

my decision to get the 3IS was because it was not turbo like the rest of the new cars on the mkt. i was considering the A45 but that will take another 6 months to be delivered. it might be the car still need running in or oil change, but the car kinda feel heavy. i have read some where online that if want acceleration out of 3IS, u need to really floor it, maybe i am used to not wide open throttle flooring.

the ride quality of the 3IS is still super and the good chassis provide good confidence cornering. everyday use is very comfy but its just not as sure footed as my 4wd Golf6 R. maybe i still have not really starting driving it yet. i have been driving it softly and taking things easy the first 1000km, but i am very tempted to order the new Golf mainly becoz of the torque-vectoring e-diff package.

i know i might give up some ride quality but i will gain better corning [haldax 4wd] and power (after chip) [stock 290hp]. what do u guys think? what is ur impression on handling/power?
Old 09-09-13, 10:11 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

The IS can't hold a candle to the golf in the handling department. The IS handles very very well for its class. That's an important caveat.

I think it sounds like your heart is said on the Golf7R. I say go for it.
Old 09-09-13, 10:32 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Compromise. Buy a used Golf and keep the IS. Problem solved. I take donations via paypal

<------ Found the perfect Emoji for this thread.
Old 09-09-13, 11:21 PM
kilowong
Driver School Candidate

actually, as i was driving to work today, i tried the use the S+ mode a bit more. the personality of the car totally changed compare to what i have been using most of the time, econ mode. i have not finished my 2nd tank of gas, so i will keep on exploring the diff characteristics of each mode. the chassis and suspension are much much better than the Golf6R. the 8sp gear box in3IS is good and smooth but no way near DSG in terms of speed. the comfort factors in the 3IS is what like more, especially the AIR Cool seat, thats the best feature i like especially in avg 34C degree summer days.
Old 09-10-13, 01:00 AM
jdot85
Driver School Candidate

I just checked out lexus.com.hk and noticed that IS350 RWD F-Sport is listed at 710,000HKD. That's one expensive IS! Congrats on the purchase though. I'm sure you just need to drive it more in Sport+ mode to get used to it.
Old 09-10-13, 01:04 AM
kilowong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdot85
I just checked out lexus.com.hk and noticed that IS350 RWD F-Sport is listed at 710,000HKD. That's one expensive IS! Congrats on the purchase though. I'm sure you just need to drive it more in Sport+ mode to get used to it.
yes that's not cheap at all @ USD91000.
Old 09-10-13, 01:38 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't consider the new Golf R if i had a new IS350.

The Lexus is far superior in all but race track performance. The Golf R is, and will always be a hot hatch. It will never reach the luxury of the IS.
Old 09-10-13, 07:45 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

They're 2 different classes of cars. Lexus is luxury, while Golf is something I might have wanted in High school
Old 09-10-13, 04:37 PM
G8rGirl
Driver

I understand how you feel. Years ago when I first went from my GTI to a V-6, it felt like the new car I got was "slower" and under-powered even though it had MORE torque and MORE horsepower than my GTI. There's something about the DSG transmission that just makes everything feel "fun and fast" all the time. It took about 2 months for me to get used to the V-6 and really feel comfortable pushing the car to realize it's potential and to enjoy it. It is just a different feel and the power comes on in a different way. So I think you are just going through a normal transition phase.

Also, a Golf R is no cheap "high school" car...
Old 09-10-13, 05:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by kilowong
actually, as i was driving to work today, i tried the use the S+ mode a bit more. the personality of the car totally changed compare to what i have been using most of the time, econ mode. i have not finished my 2nd tank of gas, so i will keep on exploring the diff characteristics of each mode. the chassis and suspension are much much better than the Golf6R. the 8sp gear box in3IS is good and smooth but no way near DSG in terms of speed. the comfort factors in the 3IS is what like more, especially the AIR Cool seat, thats the best feature i like especially in avg 34C degree summer days.
For me, RWD is so much more fun... turn of VSC if you have ***** and have fun :-).

AWD is fast, but for me, it is never as fun.
Old 09-10-13, 09:33 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by G8rGirl
I understand how you feel. Years ago when I first went from my GTI to a V-6, it felt like the new car I got was "slower" and under-powered even though it had MORE torque and MORE horsepower than my GTI. There's something about the DSG transmission that just makes everything feel "fun and fast" all the time. It took about 2 months for me to get used to the V-6 and really feel comfortable pushing the car to realize it's potential and to enjoy it. It is just a different feel and the power comes on in a different way. So I think you are just going through a normal transition phase.

At it's pricing point, no normal kid will be able to afford it, so most will probably end up getting the regular Golf. When I was in high school, most kids were either driving or wanted to be driving a civic, integra, golf, or eclipse. I can't speak for others but when I think of this car, I'd always imagine high schoolers driving it.
Old 09-16-13, 08:43 AM
kilowong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by G8rGirl

tks gr8girl for understanding. the new golf7 r is going to kill the IS350 and i am sure about it in terms of performace. there is one thing that the other guys are right as the ride quality will also be better in the IS. the new golf R will have front and rear e-diff which is basically the same system as the porsche torque vectoring stem. it will always to be a hard to beat hot hatch. but i am getting more used to IS, one thing i have found is that the suspension setting might be little jumpy in the Sport+ mode. i like the steering tho.

as for the other guys, pls go drive a Golf R with DSG, its really good. agree on the high school car image but its the fun factor that counts.
Old 09-16-13, 02:20 PM
durps
Lead Lap

For speed, Golf R.
Everything else, IS.
Cant compare these imo. Its like comparing a 328i to a new Civic SI.