IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why no memory feature and cooled seats on F Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-13, 04:55 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
Owning a luxury car is about having options, not being forced to take whats only available on the lot.
I definitely agree. Most luxury car buyers want quality options that add a lot of convenience and pleasure to owning that car. That convenience and pleasure will vary by each person but most would agree that they would want options than be force to take what is on the lot.
Old 09-10-13, 04:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

To be fair to Glashub, his post is the text from that C&D article he posted...C&D is totally wrong IMHO...but those are their words not his.
Old 09-10-13, 05:23 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Thats just not at all true. Many people, myself included, lease because its the most economical way for us to drive the cars we want to drive, and to replace those cars as often as we want to. Many of us can also deduct business expenses for vehicles, and that makes leasing even more attractive.

I could pay cash for a car, but why would I want to have $50,000+ in cash tied up in a depreciating asset when I can lease it for very little interest and write the entire cost of that lease off of my taxes? I don't care about "owning" the car, because I'm just going to replace it every 3 years anyways. If I ever did decide to buy a car and keep for a long time, I'd buy. Leasing saves me money and it makes the whole process of driving, expensing, and replacing my car much simpler for me. I know MANY people who lease, people who make 7 figures a year and lease. Its a financial management tool, thats all.

Leasing has been around for decades and decades. I remember my Dad leasing cars when I was a little boy, its not a product of the recession, if anything leasing kind of died down during the recession and has picked up a lot here recently.
That is what I understood to be the benefits and reasons someone may choose to lease. Most people won't be able to write it off so for them it could turn out to be more expensive option than owning but you get the benefit of having a new car frequently without much hassle of having to sell it or put up with costly repair bills.

I've always owned my car since I can't write it off and I don't put a lot of miles on it. My current car, Acura TLS is 12+ years old and has 120k miles and it still runs great without any issues. Car still doesn't feel outdated because I added cool options (at least back then) like navigation system which now days every car has.

I'm hoping to have very nicely optioned IS F Sport or another car I choose to hold me over for next 8-10 years. I could probably give it to my daughter or son at that time since they'll be at driving age. Interior of IS is so modern and nice I don't think it'll ever get outdated and that cool TFT instrument cluster is years ahead by other car standard in it's class. In 10 years every car will be having that like navigation systems is now. If Lexus will add few more luxury options available like memory and cool seats it'll make my decision that much easier, perhaps they'll add those options next year. My dealer said he should get some F Sport in by next week for me to test drive so I'm looking forward to that.
Old 09-10-13, 05:45 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Glashub
"Leasing is pretty much a tactful way of saying, “I’m driving a car I can’t afford to buy,” but without having to swallow your pride. It makes for a great show, but when all is said and done, you own nothing. Hence, lease rates are carefully crafted to be attractive in the short term while not enticing enough to deter potential buyers from the benefits of new-car ownership. If you have the means, it’s almost always better to buy as you end up owning the car. But that delicate balance was shaken when automakers (and creditors alike) were making something of a last-ditch attempt to combat a collapsing economy a few years back. Leases were absurdly cheap, and even if your credit was bad, you were in."

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...pping-websites
I can see this being applied to some buyers. I always choose to buy and try to pay cash or use home equity loans. Not everyone can write off their car payments!
Old 09-10-13, 05:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah overall leasing is going to me more expensive than buying a car and keeping it until its depreciated. But, for those of us who enjoy having a new car every few years and understand the expense...you only live once...
Old 09-10-13, 06:03 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014IS350
AMEN BROTHER!

i probably paid more in taxes last year than Glashub earned all last year!
Wow that is an offensive assumption and it is a post that only someone who hasn't made a lot of money or has recently come into some money would make. Old money vs. new money thing -- ya feel me, bro.
Old 09-10-13, 06:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

To be fair...you did just post that everybody who leases "can't really afford to buy the car". Thats a pretty offensive assumption too.
Old 09-10-13, 06:08 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

To be fair to Glashub, his post is the text from that C&D article he posted...C&D is totally wrong IMHO...but those are their words not his.
Thank you SW13GS. My point being that a car manufacturer can juice sales figures with leases and that the Germans are masters at it -- not a commentary on owning vs. leasing. Personally I paid cash for the IS350 Fsport even though I know I could write it off a lease as a business owner. Why? Because I'm old school and like to have a title in the safe and because I'm paid on performance. I can easily and unexpectedly lose a $100,000 revenue generating deal overnight and close one the next week.

It kind of messes with the mind that.
Old 09-10-13, 06:10 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

To be fair...you did just post that everybody who leases "can't really afford to buy the car". Thats a pretty offensive assumption too.
I quoted from an article -- it's part of the public domain and it's the authors opinion. I'm was just trying to make a point about how to juice auto sales by making it easy to get into a lease and to make them affordable.

I truly didn't mean to offend anyone.

Last edited by Glashub; 09-10-13 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-10-13, 06:14 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow that is an offensive assumption and it is a post that only someone who hasn't made a lot of money or has recently come into some money would make. Old money vs. new money thing -- ya feel me, bro.
quote: Leasing is pretty much a tactful way of saying, “I’m driving a car I can’t afford to buy,” but without having to swallow your pride."

is a pretty offensive assumption to me as well. you called me out first! if you cant stand the repercussions you should choose your words more carefully, or just because its someone else's statement doesn't make it any less offensive!

and FWIW I just sold this car online my MSRP was over 90K
I've had 2 of these over the past 4 years as daily drivers.
trust me when i say i could buy a pair of IS350's for what i sold this car for!
however i did not lease the vette i wrote off another car i leased.
only reason i am coming BACK to the IS-350 (i used to have a 2007) is because for my 3 mile commute i feel the IS makes more sense from a practicality standpoint. plus the fact i can actually take it places and park it where i don't need to worry about people coming out and posing next to my car to take pictures to pretend they own it.

Last edited by Bass Mech; 09-10-13 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-10-13, 06:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It took me a minute to realize that was the text from the article myself, which is why I think you've ruffled some feathers here.

You have to remember though, 70%+ of luxury cars are leased. They aren't "juicing" sales figures by offering strong leasing deals. When a vehicle is leased, its sold, its simply sold to the leasing co. BMW and to a lesser extent, Mercedes have known for years that their typcial consumer wants to lease, and they have offered high residuals and low money factors as well as rebates to give their leases great value. The result is they don't make much profit off the servicing of the lease...but they sell the cars.

Lexus is realizing this too, and you see great leases on the GS and it will get there on the IS.

Not that long ago, you paid a real penalty as someone who leases when you got a Lexus, now you don't as much. Audi still hasn't figured it out. The whole reason I have a GS instead of an A6 was Audi had a crappy lease. Same MSRP and sales price as the GS, Audi's lease was $200 a month more.
Old 09-10-13, 06:17 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=2014IS350;8134056]quote: Leasing is pretty much a tactful way of saying, “I’m driving a car I can’t afford to buy,” but without having to swallow your pride."

is a pretty offensive assumption to me as well. you called me out first! if you cant stand the repercussions you should choose your words more carefully.

only reason i am coming BACK to the IS-350 (i used to have a 2007) is because for my 3 mile commute i feel the IS makes more sense from a practicality standpoint. plus the fat i can actually take it places and park it where i don't need to worry about people coming out and posing next to my car to take pictures to pretend they own it.

That is a quote. Read the post. Okay. So what? Big deal. A tricked out Corvette. That won't get you into heaven and it doesn't make you a good and worthy person.
Old 09-10-13, 06:23 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

It took me a minute to realize that was the text from the article myself, which is why I think you've ruffled some feathers here.

You have to remember though, 70%+ of luxury cars are leased. They aren't "juicing" sales figures by offering strong leasing deals. When a vehicle is leased, its sold, its simply sold to the leasing co. BMW and to a lesser extent, Mercedes have known for years that their typcial consumer wants to lease, and they have offered high residuals and low money factors as well as rebates to give their leases great value. The result is they don't make much profit off the servicing of the lease...but they sell the cars.

Lexus is realizing this too, and you see great leases on the GS and it will get there on the IS.

Not that long ago, you paid a real penalty as someone who leases when you got a Lexus, now you don't as much. Audi still hasn't figured it out. The whole reason I have a GS instead of an A6 was Audi had a crappy lease. Same MSRP and sales price as the GS, Audi's lease was $200 a month more.
i agree i think most of Lexus lease deals have better then 58% residual after 3 years. if you lease a domestic you are usually about 48% of msrp. the good news for domestic buyers is that there is a WAY bigger markup verses imports. so dealers can usually suck up a lot of negative equity in someones upside down trade in and roll their negative equity into the next car to get the sale. plus all the incentives they offer. right now you can get a 2013 Corvette for about 15k off sticker without even asking.
Old 09-10-13, 06:30 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=Glashub;8134065]
Originally Posted by 2014IS350
quote: Leasing is pretty much a tactful way of saying, “I’m driving a car I can’t afford to buy,” but without having to swallow your pride."

is a pretty offensive assumption to me as well. you called me out first! if you cant stand the repercussions you should choose your words more carefully.

only reason i am coming BACK to the IS-350 (i used to have a 2007) is because for my 3 mile commute i feel the IS makes more sense from a practicality standpoint. plus the fat i can actually take it places and park it where i don't need to worry about people coming out and posing next to my car to take pictures to pretend they own it.

That is a quote. Read the post. Okay. So what? Big deal. A tricked out Corvette. That won't get you into heaven and it doesn't make you a good and worthy person.
well actually its not tricked out, its totally stock and very rare! they only made 194 of them in 2012.

and I am certain i will be going to heaven
because actually am a very good person. I protect peoples assets, income and retirement and make sure that when bad things happen the rest of the family can live a life of dignity rather than a life of poverty.
i make sure your kids get a college education, I make sure there is a dress for the prom, I guarantee a widow wants for nothing even if bad things happen unexpectedly.
I would say that makes me a pretty good person and if you crash your car and get sued for a million bucks you'll be glad you met me.
Old 09-10-13, 06:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That is a quote. Read the post.
You don't put quotes in your posts properly. Its hard to understand that its a quote.

Quick Reply: Why no memory feature and cooled seats on F Sport?