IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why no memory feature and cooled seats on F Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-13, 01:57 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome

When your car has been parked outside in the hot day even here in MN seats get very hot and just sittling on it while the car gets cool can make you very uncomfortable and even sweaty. I have black leather interior and I really wish I had cooled seats!
Tint the windows with that uv blocking stuff so the car never gets hot even in 100 degree weather.
Old 09-09-13, 02:10 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

get tint and a windshield sun screen, they help a lot. Cracking the window slightly helps too just make sure its not going to rain that day
Old 09-09-13, 02:14 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhoenixOne
@ Glashub, another SWEEEEET ride. AND you had a posi on it. There was pride when you left 2 burnout tire tracks instead of one.
Okay. We were really young and didn't know any better but we'd put a little oil on the street to get the wheels spinning and just smoke the heck out of the tires.

That car was a true sleeper. We'd put Brillo pads in the exhausts to quiet it down and then I'd find a Vette or Boss 302, etc. and challenge the driver to a drag race -- $10 a gear. Man, I made money and left a lot of guys feeling duped. As soon as I jammed it off the starting line the Brillo pads would blow out of the exhausts and the car would make a fearsome roar.

Drove that old Chevy across the country doing that.
Old 09-09-13, 02:27 PM
PhoenixOne
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
Okay. We were really young and didn't know any better but we'd put a little oil on the street to get the wheels spinning and just smoke the heck out of the tires.

That car was a true sleeper. We'd put Brillo pads in the exhausts to quiet it down and then I'd find a Vette or Boss 302, etc. and challenge the driver to a drag race -- $10 a gear. Man, I made money and left a lot of guys feeling duped. As soon as I jammed it off the starting line the Brillo pads would blow out of the exhausts and the car would make a fearsome roar.

Drove that old Chevy across the country doing that.
LOL!!!!! Oh...wow! Nice!!!! HAHA!!!
Old 09-09-13, 03:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by SimTide985
lol, people should stop throwing this term around "luxury" as if it means that the car and its driver is entitled to something arbitrarily specific. Luxury has around a dozen different layers to it and it can't always be generalized into one thing. It's the same with how people use the term "sports sedan" or "performance sedan". It's not always so cut and dry.
Sure, but there are market demands at work here, buyers at this range do feel entitled to a certain level of content. and buyers don't like to move to a car with less equipment than they have now. The question is how many buyers like the OP will be turned off by the fact that these features are missing, and will the loss of those sales hurt worse than losses from people feeling the F Sport was too expensive? I personally think the F Sport's a pretty doggone good value and it could be maybe $1,000 more with some of these missing features. We'll have to wait and see.

I personally think this is a mistake on Lexus' part.
Old 09-09-13, 04:15 PM
PhoenixOne
Rookie

I'll admit. First time going to see the '14 IS, we kinda held our breath wondering what was not going to be available and what was. This is what the car manufacturers do, as stated above. They got their think tank that estimated how many will buy the car with the missing "desired" options and how many will not. And they go with the best course. Same thing Apple does with their iPhones. If they threw all the desired features in one phone release, they won't have anything else to wow the world and their stock price/revenue will sink faster than the sales projections for the Pontiac Aztec.
Old 09-09-13, 04:27 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Sure, but there are market demands at work here, buyers at this range do feel entitled to a certain level of content. and buyers don't like to move to a car with less equipment than they have now. The question is how many buyers like the OP will be turned off by the fact that these features are missing, and will the loss of those sales hurt worse than losses from people feeling the F Sport was too expensive? I personally think the F Sport's a pretty doggone good value and it could be maybe $1,000 more with some of these missing features. We'll have to wait and see.

I personally think this is a mistake on Lexus' part.
You said it well. I'm not turned off but it's making me consider different options since I really wanted cool seats in my next vehicle. I have memory feature now on my current vehicle and don't want to lose it since my wife and I like that feature when we have to switch cars. For those who buy a new car every other year may not care but if you think in terms of keeping car for longer, which with Lexus' reliability you should be able to keep it for 8+ years, than you may see this differently.

Thank you everyone for your inputs.
Old 09-09-13, 06:57 PM
jagged
Driver School Candidate

I have the IS350 F-sport with memory and cooled seats for 3 months now.

I can say that memory seat feature is very important as it controls the powered steering column and seats for ease in getting on and off the car especially since the F-sport has sport seats.

As for the cooling seats, I use it for less than 5 minutes upon start up even though its 35 C all year here in South East Asia (that's 95 F for your guys in the US). With good window tints, I don't mind not having this feature and often forget to even turn it on.
Old 09-09-13, 07:09 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jagged
I have the IS350 F-sport with memory and cooled seats for 3 months now.

I can say that memory seat feature is very important as it controls the powered steering column and seats for ease in getting on and off the car especially since the F-sport has sport seats.

As for the cooling seats, I use it for less than 5 minutes upon start up even though its 35 C all year here in South East Asia (that's 95 F for your guys in the US). With good window tints, I don't mind not having this feature and often forget to even turn it on.
Thanks for your feedback on these. Where are you located? Could you post some interior pictures of these features? Just curious where they have these controls located? Is it same as regular IS350 here in US?
Old 09-09-13, 07:29 PM
damtachoa
Pole Position

In US, Lexus cut these three features:

1. Memory Seat
2. Power Mirror
3. Fog light
Old 09-09-13, 07:52 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by damtachoa
In US, Lexus cut these three features:

1. Memory Seat
2. Power Mirror
3. Fog light
I wasn't aware there was no power mirrors either.
Fog lights I would think could be done aftermarket easily.
Old 09-09-13, 08:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

He means power folding mirrors. The mirror adjustments are power.
Old 09-09-13, 09:47 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

He means power folding mirrors. The mirror adjustments are power.
Thanks for the clarification. I was beginning to think that Lexus really removed a lot of basic features for the same reasons they remove the memory feature.

I just love the interior design of this IS F Sport, especially with that TFT instrument cluster. Is it true that interior for the F Sport is not leather? Any information on quality and durability on what ever they used?
Old 09-09-13, 10:27 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
. Is it true that interior for the F Sport is not leather? Any information on quality and durability on what ever they used?
Its NuLuxe and is just as nice if not nicer than leather. Real leather wrinkles over time and gets old looking. NuLuxe stays pretty and feels just like leather.

Id suggest checking one out in person.
Old 09-09-13, 11:02 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Do us all a favor and if you see this topic...just stay out of it if you can't handle it.
Not at all appropriate. Sw13gs, please exit this thread.

Quick Reply: Why no memory feature and cooled seats on F Sport?