IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Bad news on my special order

Old 09-06-13, 04:28 PM
bshaw777
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bad news on my special order

I ordered on August 1st. Spoke with Lexus rep today who told me that the order was not "allocated" for last month or this month! Which means they will not start building until October. He said that it "should" take a month after they start building. I'm not sure I buy that it will only take a month after they start building, but we shall see. Damn this waiting period!!!
Old 09-06-13, 04:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Ahh that's too bad, I feel for you. I guess there's no flexibility on your part on giving up certain options/features if it means getting another one sooner...
Old 09-06-13, 04:49 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish someone could explain this "allocation" thing to us all. Appears to me, if you go into a dealer and sign a contract, put down whatever deposit they ask for, they should immediately be able to put that into a computer and it is immediately ordered. This whole thing sounds a little weird to me. As I too wait for what I don't really call a special order. Special order to me is something that is not offered on the options list.
Old 09-06-13, 05:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by moose66
Wish someone could explain this "allocation" thing to us all. Appears to me, if you go into a dealer and sign a contract, put down whatever deposit they ask for, they should immediately be able to put that into a computer and it is immediately ordered. This whole thing sounds a little weird to me. As I too wait for what I don't really call a special order. Special order to me is something that is not offered on the options list.
it takes 90-120 for the factory order to come in... so what they do is try to find you same car that is already coming in, this is allocation.

when car is new and sells well, then you got to wait more...
Old 09-06-13, 05:18 PM
bshaw777
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Ahh that's too bad, I feel for you. I guess there's no flexibility on your part on giving up certain options/features if it means getting another one sooner...
The interesting part about that is that I specifically special ordered because I knew there would be a wait (...and I wanted specific options/features) . I recently moved and not supposed to start new job until October. I figured the earliest that I would receive the car would be October and I would be able to afford payment. Well I guess it works out but was hoping to get it by October. Now the earliest will be November
Old 09-06-13, 05:19 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Nothing unusual there. That's the way Lexus special orders work. You ordered Aug 1, so that timeline he gave sounds exactly what should have been expected. Order cutoffs happen on the 20th of each month, you could have saved yourself a month of waiting by getting it in before that day.
Old 09-06-13, 05:51 PM
greggy23
Rookie

Originally Posted by bshaw777
I ordered on August 1st. Spoke with Lexus rep today who told me that the order was not "allocated" for last month or this month! Which means they will not start building until October. He said that it "should" take a month after they start building. I'm not sure I buy that it will only take a month after they start building, but we shall see. Damn this waiting period!!!
That's a bummer.

I ordered mine July 15th before the July 20th cutoff. I checked status and it's currently in production being built. I anticipate another 45 days before it reaches the port of Long Beach and then HQ here in Torrance where I pick it up and take delivery.
Old 09-06-13, 05:56 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

I think what you're saying is that you missed the 20th of the month deadline. Evidently, and from what I can tell, the 20th of the month is when Lexus receives all special orders. If you come in on the 21st, the factory doesn't see your order until the 20th of the next month.

Then it seems within a week or two from this date the factory officially accepts or approves the order.

This applies only for a special factory order, not an allocation order.

Last edited by azmojo; 09-06-13 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-06-13, 06:08 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel for you. The wait is killing me. I ordered on 8/23 so is it possible my order wasn't allocated for this month? I better call my rep.
Old 09-06-13, 08:41 PM
TXDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bshaw777
The interesting part about that is that I specifically special ordered because I knew there would be a wait (...and I wanted specific options/features) . I recently moved and not supposed to start new job until October. I figured the earliest that I would receive the car would be October and I would be able to afford payment. Well I guess it works out but was hoping to get it by October. Now the earliest will be November
You ordered a +$40K car and you don't have a job. I hope there is no problem with the job in Oct.!
Old 09-06-13, 11:22 PM
bshaw777
Driver

Originally Posted by TXDriver
You ordered a +$40K car and you don't have a job. I hope there is no problem with the job in Oct.!
LOL! I know that sounds bad. But, I was hired already and requested to start in October so I'll be good.
Old 09-07-13, 12:44 PM
anhzie
Pole Position

awww so sad!!! i ordered mine already, and it on the way from Japan to USA took 3,4 weeks...I cant wait to get it now!!! I order same as ur car 2014 Lexus IS 350 F-Sport Ultra White/Rioja Red Interior
Old 09-07-13, 01:26 PM
jdot85
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by anhzie
awww so sad!!! i ordered mine already, and it on the way from Japan to USA took 3,4 weeks...I cant wait to get it now!!! I order same as ur car 2014 Lexus IS 350 F-Sport Ultra White/Rioja Red Interior
This is the same combination I got!! I ordered mine on Aug. 22 which I was dealing with the assistant sales manager. He said they had someone cancel their special order and he might be able to replace their's with mine. I got a call from him the next day and told me my order went through for the Oct. production and my car should be arriving in late Nov.

Last edited by jdot85; 09-07-13 at 02:15 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-07-13, 01:58 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdot85
This is the same combination I got!! I ordered mine on Sep. 22 which I was dealing with the assistant sales manager. He said they had someone cancel their special order and he might be able to replace their's with mine. I got a call from him the next day and told me my order went through for the Oct. production and my car should be arriving in late Nov.
Sure you meant Aug 22 . . . . . . Sounds like that is a popular combination. All of you guys are just falling into line! Whose going to be first? anhzie claims to be close. All the way from Japan!
Old 09-07-13, 02:08 PM
bshaw777
Driver

Originally Posted by anhzie
You ordered 3-4 weeks ago? Wtf!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad news on my special order