IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Noticed Wrinkles in Driver's Seat Leather

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 11:19 AM
mimi1468
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noticed Wrinkles in Driver's Seat Leather

I purchased a brand new IS250 fully loaded in the luxury navigation package 2 weeks ago, which was delivered to my house following a dealer swap. The leather is in flaxen. That same afternoon I noticed that the driver's seat had wrinkles in the leather on the left hand side, and the foam felt less substantial on that side. I contacted my dealership whom hadn't noticed the wrinkles on inspection, but agreed that the seat was wrinkled when I took it in. They have gotten worse over the past week.

I'm not happy given that this is a new car that I purchased. The dealership has offered to swap out the seat for another one.

I was hoping someone could shed some light on the following:

Has anyone else had issues with the seats being wrinkled?

Will swapping the seat out potentially damage the car?

Thanks.

Last edited by mimi1468; 09-04-13 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Needed to add some details
Old 09-04-13, 11:30 AM
damtachoa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mimi1468
was delivered to my house
Never do that when buying a car.
Old 09-04-13, 12:19 PM
enoren
Pole Position

I haven't noticed any wrinkles or problems with the foam in my seats. I'm guessing it's unique to your car. I don't have any personal experience with it, but I'd let them swap out the seat. Give the dealer a chance to make it right.
Old 09-04-13, 12:22 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seem to remember this happening with another model Lexus. I am trying to remember where so that I can give you the link. I think the posters were provided with various methods for repair. Many of which received new seats and reported no issues. I'll see if I can find the thread. I'll post if I do. Good luck!
Old 09-04-13, 12:26 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The loaner 2IS with 13K miles had a lot of wrinkles in the seat. The Genesis and TL's I had all had wrinkles -- that is the beauty of leather. It wrinkles and ages and looks better -- on coats imo -- not so much in cars. But that's what leather does -- it shows it's age.
Old 09-04-13, 01:02 PM
blksolara
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
The loaner 2IS with 13K miles had a lot of wrinkles in the seat. The Genesis and TL's I had all had wrinkles -- that is the beauty of leather. It wrinkles and ages and looks better -- on coats imo -- not so much in cars. But that's what leather does -- it shows it's age.
I found winkles in my nuluxe a few weeks ago. its in the right side near the Center console. ill post a photo later.

do you send a photo too? i havent had a chance
to bug my dealer about it but if they are willjng to
switch the entire chair, i think that its a good deal.

just check how long they will keep your car.
Old 09-04-13, 01:20 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its brand new leather so once someones butt goes in it, it will start to stretch and wrinkle. It Happened in every other car that i owned. I think your just upset because it wasn't your butt that caused that wrinkle. lol

all jokes aside, its natural and it will happen whether now or a 10-100 seats from now, but if you buy a brand new car, you should be the first to wrinkle anything leather before anyone else. that's the joy of buying a new car lol
Old 09-04-13, 02:24 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Glashub
Maybe it was the Genesis (owned a 4.6 sedan before the GS450h) forum I used to belong to where this was an issue. I too experienced the leather "giving' is what someone called it. In other words, it stretched. Sort of odd though in a new car. Unless someone put a lot of weight on the seat. Say for instance, they put a fist or hand down on the seat and shifted all of their weight onto it. That would cause a stretch that would not bounce back for sure. Just a hunch.
Old 09-04-13, 02:37 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the 4.6 too and belonged to that forum. The leather sagged and butt imprints would show up in the leather. A number of guys had their seats redone.
Old 09-04-13, 05:50 PM
bayarea3is
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

since the F-Sport seats has a little bit of a side bolster, i carefully lift up my behind before fully hopping out of the car LOL.

but imo, im sure it'll wrinkle over time, so swapping it would only become a temporary fix.
Old 09-04-13, 06:42 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bayarea3is
since the F-Sport seats has a little bit of a side bolster, i carefully lift up my behind before fully hopping out of the car LOL.

but imo, im sure it'll wrinkle over time, so swapping it would only become a temporary fix.
Yep, a temporary fix for sure. But the issue really is that it was delivered that way. The a$$ prints aren't even the owners!
Old 09-04-13, 07:19 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

yea, i think pictures would be great.

i have some wrinkles on my CT. but that after 2 years. and its only a slight slight one.
Old 09-05-13, 09:10 AM
mimi1468
Driver School Candidate

These are pictures from the day of delivery (I feel like they've gotten worse since then). And yes, I'm annoyed because I didn't cause the wrinkles and I'm surprised that a new car would be delivered like that. Also, the wrinkles are at an awkward place - I didn''t think that they were caused by someone heavy sitting on the seat - as they're one-sided.

Noticed Wrinkles in Driver's Seat Leather-img_2248.jpg

Noticed Wrinkles in Driver's Seat Leather-img_2249.jpg
Old 09-05-13, 10:35 AM
John510
Lead Lap

EASY FIX

That is bent because you have your seat tilted up. Tilt it down and it will go away. This happens with leather. The NuLuxe wont do this. Your new seat will do the same exact thing if you tilt the bottom

Last edited by John510; 09-05-13 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-05-13, 12:06 PM
pianospike
Rookie

Originally Posted by bayarea3is
I do the exact same thing!

Quick Reply: Noticed Wrinkles in Driver's Seat Leather