Standard Audio upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-13, 10:06 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Standard Audio upgrades

guys,

Anyone updated their standard audio? Any tips on the setting up the Bass, Mids and Highs?

I thinking of a front speakers swap with Focal PS165. but would prefer if nothing is changed from stock 8 speaker setup

i listen to adele, metaliica, and white stripes.

thanks!!

sorry if this is a duplicate post.
Old 09-03-13, 08:40 PM
LexFather

I might be going its Hertz soon... I'll keep the forum updated
Old 09-03-13, 09:14 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I might be going its Hertz soon... I'll keep the forum updated
which model or series are you looking at?
HERTZ MLK165?
Old 09-03-13, 09:51 PM
F350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you planning on adding an external amplifier or just swapping out the current speakers ?
Old 09-03-13, 11:19 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Originally Posted by F350
Are you planning on adding an external amplifier or just swapping out the current speakers ?
Just swapping out speakers.

I read somewhere, that swapping out is the cheapest and fastest way?

I might be wrong though.
Old 09-03-13, 11:26 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jennypenny
Just swapping out speakers.

I read somewhere, that swapping out is the cheapest and fastest way?

I might be wrong though.
It is. But there's not much gain with that. You are unable to balance the new speakers right for the best sound.
Old 09-04-13, 01:19 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

how would you recommend? because i dont mind spending a lump sum than to slowly improving.

any advice?
Old 09-05-13, 01:39 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Keep to the stock, or build a proper audio system. Just speaker swap just makes a small improvement.
Old 09-07-13, 10:21 AM
rvpps2roks
Driver School Candidate

the "easiest way" would be to get a sound processor, AudioControl makes some good ones. I would then mount your apps under your driver or passenger seats. That way youll get the most out of your speakers. The space under the seats is pretty big. I fit an ID Q 1200.1 and ID Q 700.2
Old 09-07-13, 11:37 AM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan on adding a small JL amp and sub in the trunk. The stock audio is actually really nice. Just needs that little extra bass knock.
Old 09-16-13, 06:52 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

i read somewhere that the stock Lexus Premium audio has a Subwoofer.

cant seem to find where its located?

Lexus premium audio has 8 speaker setup.

3 speakers on the dash (left, middle and right)
2 front door speakers
2 rear door speakers
1 rear speaker (which is located near the centre rear seat), which doesnt seem to be a place for the sub?
Old 09-17-13, 03:26 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

anyone can confirm where the Sub woofer is?
Old 09-17-13, 06:22 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

In the shelf behind the back seat.
Old 09-17-13, 06:46 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

swapping out speakers will be a total waste of money.
the factory system has everything crossed over and eq'd for the speakers that were used in the car. also the factory speakers are actually better quality in a lot of ways than anything aftermarket because they use light weight efficient cones and neodymium magnets.
also the factory head unit will attenuate bass when the volume is turned up to prevent it from distorting the free air woofer. so even if you upgrade the components without replacing the head unit is a waste of money.

you can get around it by installing a digital signal processor and setting everything up for 1 volume level but then youll need to adjust the volume externally and that would be a royal PITA.

i think the ML system is quite good. my only complaint is the center dash speaker is a little too loud for proper imaging and i noticed this in my 2007 IS350. so i installed a resistor in line with that speaker to attenuate it a little worked like a champ!

keep in mind this advice comes from a guy who has been into car audio for the past 25 years. before most of you had a drivers license i was doing high end systems for the denver broncos football players at 30k a pop!

could it be improved? sure! but how much is it worth to you just to make it a little louder and a little more bass to **** off the neighbors?
if you want a loud car then why buy a lexus? the lexus is a car for grown ups! after you get out of high school and your friends disappear you'll find that nobody is impressed with how loud your stereo anymore.
why spend all the money to get a car as refined and quiet as a lexus just to put a booming system in? might as well do that to a civic!
trust me, nobody appreciates a good system much more than i do. but you would be surprised at the different genera of music out there you never know existed beyond rap and hiphop if you just give it a try!
i listen to everything from 80's rock to country and rap. but i find myself listening to more music that sounds like music rather than some ghetto raised hoodlum who all they have to talk about is how much money they have, the girls they screw and treat like prostitutes and the cars they drive.

as you get a little older you start to see that life is about being happy. not bragging about what you have! and the sad part is those same rappers that talk all about the money they have do so because people are dumb enough to buy their albums to make them rich!

sorry end of rant!
Old 09-17-13, 08:37 AM
mattding
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2014IS350
if you want a loud car then why buy a lexus? the lexus is a car for grown ups! after you get out of high school and your friends disappear you'll find that nobody is impressed with how loud your stereo anymore.
Some of us grown-ups like to hear the full range of a song. There's bass out there that I can't hear on a factory system, but after adding an amp and sub, comes alive. It's not the volume but more so hearing the whole sound spectrum.

Quick Reply: Standard Audio upgrades