IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Clear Bra & Detailing Price Quote

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 06:48 AM
Rsnic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on long island and got a quote at Detailing Dynamics for $1400 with the X-pel Ultimate which includes Full hood, fenders, wheel arches, front bumper, headlights, and mirrors.

I went in with the intention of seeing how much it would cost to opti-coat the car which i was considering because its black but i was advised against it because it wont prevent swirl marks and rock chips and it will have to be reapplied every year or 2. So their reasoning was that in the long run its cheaper and will look better to clear bra the car and get it detailed once a year instead.

What do you guys think? because this is the first time owning a black car and getting any sort of paint protection.
Old 12-04-13, 07:52 AM
shreddog
Driver

Originally Posted by Rsnic
I'm on long island and got a quote at Detailing Dynamics for $1400 with the X-pel Ultimate which includes Full hood, fenders, wheel arches, front bumper, headlights, and mirrors.

I went in with the intention of seeing how much it would cost to opti-coat the car which i was considering because its black but i was advised against it because it wont prevent swirl marks and rock chips and it will have to be reapplied every year or 2. So their reasoning was that in the long run its cheaper and will look better to clear bra the car and get it detailed once a year instead.

What do you guys think? because this is the first time owning a black car and getting any sort of paint protection.
They told me the same thing about opti-coat. Wasn't surprised about the rock chips. Opti-coat is not meant for this purpose, but was completely shocked about the swirl marks given all the positive feedback the product receives on these forums.
Old 12-04-13, 11:28 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
If think that would be a very good option if I was doing all the work with single installer but since I'm working with multiple installer for PPF and Coating cost will be more than I want to spend with this approach.

I still haven't ruled out trying to do the detailing on my own with Opti-Coat 2 but it definitely isn't ideal situation.
^If your only option is to do them separate, have your car properly detailed and coated prior to having clear bra installed. If you have a clear bra installed over paint that has not been polished to perfection, the defects will be trapped beneath the clear bra and will degrade the appearance of your vehicle.

Originally Posted by Rsnic

^The installer must be severely misleading you, so let me clear some things up. Opti-Coat (or any other paint coating) has never been marketed to prevent rock chips OR swirl marks. They are, however, harder than your vehicle's clear coat therefore they will resist light swirls and scratches.

Clear bra WILL NOT prevent swirl marks either!!!! The clear film can be scratched, swirled, etched, etc just like your paint. In fact, the clear bra will be damaged EASIER than your paint AND it will not be easily corrected like paint can be with polishing.

The following photo shows a section of a Pontiac G8 hood and mirror that are covered with clear protective film. Notice how awful it looks due to the swirls that have been instilled.

Paint Coatings vs. Paint Films

Paint coatings are meant to act as a "second clear coat" to put it in layman's terms. These coatings provide a sacrificial barrier in which environmental contamination is prevented from reaching your clear coated surfaces. Surface defects such as swirls and scratches can be instilled in these coatings, but the coatings can easily be polished away as needed to reveal a like new, perfect surface beneath them. The coatings can then be reapplied for many more years of protection.

Opti-Coat Pro is a permanent coating - it will not degrade, and will provide durable protection for a VERY long time. It certainly does not need to be applied every year or two, however should your vehicle need to be polished, the coating would be removed during the polishing process due to the abrasives and a new coating would need to be applied. *It is considered routine maintenance to have your vehicle polished every 1-3 years as needed to maintain a perfect finish and brilliant shine.

Paint Protection Films are meant to be applied to areas that are prone to impact such as bumpers, hood, mirrors, etc and provide a sacrificial layer of protection against defects such as chips. As I mentioned - these films CAN AND WILL show swirls, scratches, etching, etc just like your paint, however they simply provide protection from rock chips. Now, some more expensive film can self level, however that is not a perfect system. Overtime, defects will remain and the film will need to be replaced for a perfect looking finish.

The key to maintaining a defect free surface is following proper washing and drying methods. CLICK HERE to read about the 3 bucket wash method. This will help to prevent swirl marks and scratches in your paint/coating/whatever is on your car.

Originally Posted by shreddog
They told me the same thing about opti-coat. Wasn't surprised about the rock chips. Opti-coat is not meant for this purpose, but was completely shocked about the swirl marks given all the positive feedback the product receives on these forums.
^Once again, Opti-Coat (or any other coating) has never been marketed as a product that will "prevent swirl marks". With proper care, however, you can prevent swirl marks with or without a coating. See the link above for proper washing and drying practices.

Fun Fact: Swirl marks are caused by improper washing and drying!! If you take your vehicle through an auto wash, you're most likely causing damage to your paint. If you hand wash your vehicle on your own, but use inferior washing and drying products/techniques, you are damaging your paint. No coating or film will prevent this damage - you must learn to take proper care of your vehicle to help keep it looking its best.

Hopefully that helps,

-Zach
Old 12-04-13, 06:41 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
^If your only option is to do them separate, have your car properly detailed and coated prior to having clear bra installed. If you have a clear bra installed over paint that has not been polished to perfection, the defects will be trapped beneath the clear bra and will degrade the appearance of your vehicle.

^The installer must be severely misleading you, so let me clear some things up. Opti-Coat (or any other paint coating) has never been marketed to prevent rock chips OR swirl marks. They are, however, harder than your vehicle's clear coat therefore they will resist light swirls and scratches.

Clear bra WILL NOT prevent swirl marks either!!!! The clear film can be scratched, swirled, etched, etc just like your paint. In fact, the clear bra will be damaged EASIER than your paint AND it will not be easily corrected like paint can be with polishing.

The following photo shows a section of a Pontiac G8 hood and mirror that are covered with clear protective film. Notice how awful it looks due to the swirls that have been instilled.

Paint coatings are meant to act as a "second clear coat" to put it in layman's terms. These coatings provide a sacrificial barrier in which environmental contamination is prevented from reaching your clear coated surfaces. Surface defects such as swirls and scratches can be instilled in these coatings, but the coatings can easily be polished away as needed to reveal a like new, perfect surface beneath them. The coatings can then be reapplied for many more years of protection.

Opti-Coat Pro is a permanent coating - it will not degrade, and will provide durable protection for a VERY long time. It certainly does not need to be applied every year or two, however should your vehicle need to be polished, the coating would be removed during the polishing process due to the abrasives and a new coating would need to be applied. *It is considered routine maintenance to have your vehicle polished every 1-3 years as needed to maintain a perfect finish and brilliant shine.

Paint Protection Films are meant to be applied to areas that are prone to impact such as bumpers, hood, mirrors, etc and provide a sacrificial layer of protection against defects such as chips. As I mentioned - these films CAN AND WILL show swirls, scratches, etching, etc just like your paint, however they simply provide protection from rock chips. Now, some more expensive film can self level, however that is not a perfect system. Overtime, defects will remain and the film will need to be replaced for a perfect looking finish.

The key to maintaining a defect free surface is following proper washing and drying methods. CLICK HERE to read about the 3 bucket wash method. This will help to prevent swirl marks and scratches in your paint/coating/whatever is on your car.

^Once again, Opti-Coat (or any other coating) has never been marketed as a product that will "prevent swirl marks". With proper care, however, you can prevent swirl marks with or without a coating. See the link above for proper washing and drying practices.

Fun Fact: Swirl marks are caused by improper washing and drying!! If you take your vehicle through an auto wash, you're most likely causing damage to your paint. If you hand wash your vehicle on your own, but use inferior washing and drying products/techniques, you are damaging your paint. No coating or film will prevent this damage - you must learn to take proper care of your vehicle to help keep it looking its best.

Hopefully that helps,

-Zach
Zach,

Thank you for the great information. If a lot of these swirls are caused by incorrect washing would it be better to just only use touchless car washes and air drying? I'm assuming if I only do this from new there shouldn't be any swirls. In MN these might be the only options during winter to keep your car clean.

Also my dealer told me they buff the car to get it ready for the customer and it would seem they could also cause some damage if they didn't take appropriate precaution with the materials they are buffing. I'm not sure if this is being done by professional detailer.

Just to be safe I've asked my dealer to not buff but only do touch-less wash and air drying. I'm not sure why a brand new car would need to be buffed any way.

How much prep is needed to Opti-Coat a brand new car if no one has done any hands on touch washing? Would it be reasonable to expect that paint and finish should be in decent condition with minimal prep before doing opti-coating? What polishing material and pad should be used for this prep?

Thank you.
Old 12-05-13, 07:11 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Zach,

Thank you for the great information. If a lot of these swirls are caused by incorrect washing would it be better to just only use touchless car washes and air drying? I'm assuming if I only do this from new there shouldn't be any swirls. In MN these might be the only options during winter to keep your car clean.

Also my dealer told me they buff the car to get it ready for the customer and it would seem they could also cause some damage if they didn't take appropriate precaution with the materials they are buffing. I'm not sure if this is being done by professional detailer.

Just to be safe I've asked my dealer to not buff but only do touch-less wash and air drying. I'm not sure why a brand new car would need to be buffed any way.

How much prep is needed to Opti-Coat a brand new car if no one has done any hands on touch washing? Would it be reasonable to expect that paint and finish should be in decent condition with minimal prep before doing opti-coating? What polishing material and pad should be used for this prep?

Thank you.
There are pros and cons to touchless washes... what it comes down to is that these types of services never truly remove all of the dirt and grime from your paint - no question about it.

A great option for winter washing and routine maintenance washing is a process known as Rinseless Washing. This is how I maintain my car, however I use a modified method known as the 'Gary Dean Wash Method'.

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, EVER LET THE DEALER TOUCH YOUR PAINT! I don't care if they are simply offering to wash your car - politely tell them they are not allowed to "detail" the vehicle in any way. I promise it will save you a lot of headaches.

The majority of dealership detailers are either untrained or improperly trained in the art of "buffing"... they will cause damage to the paint and often use a product known as 'glaze' to help fill in any buffer trails temporarily so your car looks good for a little while until the glaze wears off. When I go to my dealer for any reason, I always remind my service manager NOT to touch my car, and I put 5 signs all over my car that say "PLEASE DO NOT WASH CAR". I could rant for hours about dealership "detailers", but I'll just simply stop here before I get started. I guess it is OK because people pay me good money to fix the dealership's mistakes

Believe it or not, I have seen and worked on many brand new cars that need complete multi-step paint corrections even though they are coming right off the showroom floor. On the other hand, I have seen some new cars that look great (although this is much less common unfortunately). Every car is different - your best bet is to demand that your car be delivered with the protective plastic still on it, and the dealership should not remove the plastic shipping protection until you are there to watch them do it. Afterwards they should not wash or prep the vehicle in any way! If they do, I would threaten to refuse the vehicle (yes, it sounds extreme, but I have seen some horrible things coming from dealerships even after a simple car wash).

Long story short, every vehicle needs to be handled as a unique case and the detailer would have to assess each car individually. Polishing pad & product can vary greatly depending on vehicle condition, make, and color... again, the detailer should be aware of proper processes to determine the best product/pad combination that is deemed the 'least aggressive approach' to producing the desired results.

At the very minimum, it is recommended by Optimum (manufaturer of OC) that the car is thoroughly washed, decontaminated, lightly polished, and then coated.

Hope that helps,

-Zach
Old 12-05-13, 11:03 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Hopefully that helps,

-Zach
great information but want to add something you are missing. With paint protection film there are two films out that are self healing; Suntek and Xpel Ultimate. Swirl marks will self heal when the car is parked in the sun. The hotter it gets the faster it heals. So with any other film you are correct about swirl marks. That is why we recommend these two films.
Old 12-05-13, 11:09 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by PTmobile
great information but want to add something you are missing. With paint protection film there are two films out that are self healing; Suntek and Xpel Ultimate. Swirl marks will self heal when the car is parked in the sun. The hotter it gets the faster it heals. So with any other film you are correct about swirl marks. That is why we recommend these two films.
I did in fact mention these types of films...
Now, some more expensive film can self level, however that is not a perfect system. Overtime, defects will remain and the film will need to be replaced for a perfect looking finish.
... but thanks for sharing.
Old 12-05-13, 12:45 PM
JANDE314
Driver School Candidate

I took delivery of 2014 IS350 AWD F Sport last night, and wanting to install clear bra on front end asap and tint windows. I have read all the clear bra posts hre and other places.
I am in the St Louis area, have talked to 3 local shops, and now am more confused.
I want good tint jod and clear bra on front end, entire hood, rocker panels, mirrors,
center pillars, door edges and top of back bumper.

Shop A - Does all the tint and clear bra work for the local Lambo/Aston/Bentley dealership.
Advises they only offer the best tint product and all options are ceramic, cost $450.
Clear bra as wanted would cost $1,800, 3M Venture or add $300 for expel ultimate.
They advise they mostly use patterns if possible, and din't remove bumper.

Shop B - Ultra high end custom audio place. Will not offer quotes until you schedule consultaton appointment, but rough costing is the same as above.
Advised that reception on some car radio's and cell phones are effected by ceramic tint.

Shop C - Located 1 block from my office. Shop looks busy with nice cars, but not the Lambo type. Jobs they were working on looked nice, entire clear bra new stingray, and tint M5.
Young owner seems eager. Qouted $1,000 for suntek clear bra as described.
Does not use patterns for clear bra and advised this will give more/better coverage.
$295 for best ceramic tint.

I realize that the most important things is a great installer, and confused on their different opinions on tint material and clear bra pattern or free hand.
Old 12-05-13, 01:15 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

I have 70% 3M crystalline installed for the front windows and I find that my face still is burning, even though they advertise ultra high heat blocking. There was a display at the installer with a window pane with 3M crystalline on it, competitor tints, and a plain window pane, behind was a heat lamp then you rotate through each one to test which blocks heat the best and I felt nothing from the 3M. But sitting in my car driving to work, my face still burns like heck.
Old 12-05-13, 07:42 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Oxytocin
I have 70% 3M crystalline installed for the front windows and I find that my face still is burning, even though they advertise ultra high heat blocking. There was a display at the installer with a window pane with 3M crystalline on it, competitor tints, and a plain window pane, behind was a heat lamp then you rotate through each one to test which blocks heat the best and I felt nothing from the 3M. But sitting in my car driving to work, my face still burns like heck.
How is 3M FX Premium tint? This is what my installer is recommending for tint, I think mainly he has it stock.
Old 01-16-14, 09:57 PM
skrules
Rookie

I am getting clear bra (Xpel Ultimate) on my IS350 tomorrow. What prep work should I expect the shop to do before putting the bra on. The car is only three weeks old. But I do see swirl marks and minor scratches on the finish due to dealer washing. Should I expect the installer to remove those before installing the bra?
Old 01-17-14, 07:44 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by skrules
I am getting clear bra (Xpel Ultimate) on my IS350 tomorrow. What prep work should I expect the shop to do before putting the bra on. The car is only three weeks old. But I do see swirl marks and minor scratches on the finish due to dealer washing. Should I expect the installer to remove those before installing the bra?
No - swirls and other surface defects should be taken care of by a reputable detailer before the car is covered with clear film. The clear bra installer will simply wipe the surface down to ensure it is clean...... this can lead to issues if the installer is not extremely careful. Paint is VERY sensitive... especially dark lexus paint. A subpar microfiber cloth can and will cause marring and scratches.
Old 01-17-14, 10:14 AM
Antnie2418
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
The shop that did my clear bra wasn't even able to do the headlights because there is almost no flat area, they are too round.

My buddy owns a detail / tint shop and we were able to put it on. It is very challenging, you have to put it on dry and start from the top working in to the center of the car.
Old 01-17-14, 10:34 AM
skrules
Rookie

No - swirls and other surface defects should be taken care of by a reputable detailer before the car is covered with clear film. The clear bra installer will simply wipe the surface down to ensure it is clean...... this can lead to issues if the installer is not extremely careful. Paint is VERY sensitive... especially dark lexus paint. A subpar microfiber cloth can and will cause marring and scratches.
Ah ok. I talked to the clear bra guys and they said they will buff and polish the paint before putting the clear bra on. This is from the dealer, so I asked my wife to stay there for the process. I will post pics when done.
Old 01-17-14, 05:18 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by skrules
Ah ok. I talked to the clear bra guys and they said they will buff and polish the paint before putting the clear bra on. This is from the dealer, so I asked my wife to stay there for the process. I will post pics when done.
Good luck As a rule of thumb.. I never let the dealership guys touch my car. They can cause tremendous damage with just one car wash. The guys they have 'buffing' cars are typically untrained and use the wrong tools, pads, and products for fine finish polishing. They also usually cover their buffer trails with glaze which could affect the bond of the clear bra over the years. Not trying to be a downer, just my experience as a professional detailer... I fix A LOT of damage dealership and body shop 'buffers' caused.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra & Detailing Price Quote