IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Motortrend "First Test" & their comment on turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 07:46 PM
LSIII
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW/Mini has used a similar setup for their turn signal and wiper stalk for a few years now. I had read about it somewhere and thought it was strange and that I wouldn't like it, but when I test drove a Mini about two years ago I had no problem adapting to it. Used it on my sister's new GS a few months ago and it was easy to use. The three blink one touch feature is one that has been around for even longer and Toyota/Lexus is late to the game by introducing it just now. Keep an open mind and don't resist change.

Last edited by LSIII; 08-30-13 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-29-13, 08:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by KeyserS
The turn signal in the new IS350 is a bad, bad design. There just isn’t any getting around this, and it is just plain silly for anyone to assert otherwise. It is a bad design, and it is just that simple. Say it to yourself, and if it bugs you, repeat it until you can say it with flinching or wanting to punch someone. Bad design. Bad design. Bad design.
I think what you need to do is understand that your opinion is just that...your opinion. You're exclaiming on here that you're so frustrated with people reacting so negatively when you disagree with them about the attributes of the car they've just purchased when in reality you're behaving the same way...just from the other perspective. You have your opinion...you need to let other people have their opinions too. Your opinion is not fact, and someone else is not "silly" for disagreeing with you.

I've had the same turn signal stalk on my 4GS for 9 months and 12,000 miles. I don't feel strongly about the way it operates either way and do at times engage the other signal trying to cancel one side...I don't consider it a "Bad design, Bad design. Bad design" as you do. It took a little while to get used to it...but quite frankly...I don't really give a crap about the turn signals...and now I don't even think about how they operate...I just operate them. I do like the slight slide for a few blinks to switch lanes and have mine set for 5 blinks. So, obviously your assertion that this will be an issue for "every buyer and it will haunt them from the time they drive off the lot until they sell the car" is just not accurate.

I'm all for frank discussion and I've gotten into it on here a couple times from both sides of the subject. As others have said, if you dislike the 3IS please purchase a competitors product and darken the doorstep of their forum. You come across as negative, argumentative and quick to take offense. This is an IS forum...running around complaining because the people here are pro IS and are really happy and enthused about their new cars is whats "silly".

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-29-13 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-29-13, 08:53 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I also should throw in that the mercedes stalk doesnt all you to cancel the 3 signal when you activate it. pushing the stalk in the other direction simply turns it on in the other direction
Old 08-29-13, 08:53 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Wow lol. Yes, the new indicator is new and has a small learning curve but it is so convenient when you know how it works. I find it hilarious that someone took so much time and effort to complain about this, especially given the fact that it is NOT NEW and has been implemented on competitive car manufacturers. Was it a topic of concern on BMWs or was it a moot point like it really is with the Lexus?
Save the spam for the can.
Old 08-29-13, 08:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I mean...there are a lot more frustrating things that Lexus is doing nowadays than the turn signal stalk lol. To me I would rate deletion of the sunglass holder as what frustrates me every day...but even then at the end of the day, who cares? I mean...to write so dramatically about it....

have been right about a lot of things in my life, and wrong about a lot of things, but I am absolutely certain that I am right about this. I have rarely been more certain about anything, nor more right about anything.
I mean...seriously?!? We're not testifying in front of congress here.

Is the next step to run out to the backyard, throw his hands up in the air and scream "WHYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! LEXUS.....WHYYYYYYY!!!!!"?

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-29-13 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-30-13, 01:11 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I also should throw in that the mercedes stalk doesnt all you to cancel the 3 signal when you activate it. pushing the stalk in the other direction simply turns it on in the other direction
Same with Audi since 2005.
Old 08-31-13, 04:36 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Wow lol. Yes, the new indicator is new and has a small learning curve but it is so convenient when you know how it works. I find it hilarious that someone took so much time and effort to complain about this, especially given the fact that it is NOT NEW and has been implemented on competitive car manufacturers. Was it a topic of concern on BMWs or was it a moot point like it really is with the Lexus?
Save the spam for the can.
Yes, as Shakespeare might have said, this entire turn signal flap is " a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
Old 08-31-13, 05:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Originally Posted by KeyserS
Motortrend's just-published "First Test" of the 2014 IS350 F Sport:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt_first_test/

“What did get old was the one-touch turn signal stalk. It was too sensitive, and when trying to cancel the signal, I would often activate the turn signal for the other direction.”

Over the past 15 - 20 years I have observed a repeating pattern whenever any new car or motorcycle first comes out, in the way that early buyers who rushed out to buy it, react and behave on Internet forums. There is a gamut of behavior, with two extremes. At one extreme, there are people who nitpick and whine over every damn thing that they can think of. I think that they are distraught over the amount of money that they know that they just spent, and can’t get over it. They imagine that there are mechanical issues that are not even real. This is particularly true with motorcycles. At the other extreme of the gamut, there are people conduct themselves in an angry, aggressive, HOSTILE manner toward anyone who has the audacity to say ANYTHING even remotely negative about the car. Why do they behave this way? Do they really believe that their new car is absolutely perfect in every way? If so, they almost certainly defended their previous car in the same manner right up until the day they traded it in, and will almost certainly change their tune about their brand new car the day they trade it in. Why is it exactly that people behave in this way? Evidently, they derive so much of their sense of self-worth from their new purchase that whenever anyone points out that it is flawed in some way or another, it is much the same as telling them that their entire ancestry consists of people who are genetically inferior to the rest of the population.

The turn signal in the new IS350 is a bad, bad design. There just isn’t any getting around this, and it is just plain silly for anyone to assert otherwise. It is a bad design, and it is just that simple. Say it to yourself, and if it bugs you, repeat it until you can say it with flinching or wanting to punch someone. Bad design. Bad design. Bad design.

I have about as much use for a turn signal (setting) that automatically turns off after a fixed number of blinks (3, 5 or whatever it is) as I would have for an engine that automatically turns off after it has been running for 10 minutes. I just am not able to see any genuine, sincere purpose or value in that particular capability. And if you set aside that aspect of it, what are you left with? A turn signal that immediately returns to the middle position each time you set it, which means that turning it off manually is going to be a nuisance.

Several people here have identified various things that they would like to see Lexus change whenever they get around to changing stuff, be it the 2015 model, or in three or four years, or whenever. That is all fine, and I would not object to an extra 50 hp. But to my way of thinking, this stupidly designed turn signal is the thing that Lexus really, really needs to fix on this car. As soon as possible. And although I know that I am going to get flamed for this, probably by a lot of people, I just do not care. I have been right about a lot of things in my life, and wrong about a lot of things, but I am absolutely certain that I am right about this. I have rarely been more certain about anything, nor more right about anything. This turn signal is a really, really stupid design, and will be an annoyance for the driver from the day he/she drives it off the lot until the day he/she trades it in.

I want for lots of people to agree, so that Lexus will clearly understand that it needs to be fixed, as soon as possible. If people are unwilling to agree and insist that there isn't really anything wrong with it, Lexus will have no reason to fix it, which will be unfortunate. Lexus needs to be sent a message, loud and clear, that this is a bad design and badly needs to be fixed.

But, Internet forums being what they are, and human behavior being what it is, the only likely effect of my doing this is that a bunch of people are going to strongly disagree and call me all sorts of bad stuff, which they will do because their priorities are screwed up.

Let the flaming begin
If you start threads with the intent of inflaming and insulting others for expressing their opinion even before they post, that is what you will (and did get) in reply. Everything in bold is problematic

Please don't take this tactic again in future threads. This link is in the 2is forum but it applies equally here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-is-forum.html

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-31-13 at 05:26 AM.