Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Trunk Organizer

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-13, 09:16 PM   #1
G8rGirl
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 88
Default Trunk Organizer

I love the envelope cargo net that my car came with. However, I also need a trunk organizer/box for a few pairs of shoes and a few car cleaning/maintenance supplies. I couldn't find anything in the Lexus accessories online. Is there anything at the dealership that I haven't found online? I don't want to take up all of the trunk space. Just a small area.

Something like this would work, but more box-like: http://www.drivergear.vw.com/vw10/SK...7P61166469.asp
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
G8rGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 09:38 PM   #2
KeyserS
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rGirl View Post
I love the envelope cargo net that my car came with. However, I also need a trunk organizer/box for a few pairs of shoes and a few car cleaning/maintenance supplies. I couldn't find anything in the Lexus accessories online. Is there anything at the dealership that I haven't found online? I don't want to take up all of the trunk space. Just a small area.

Something like this would work, but more box-like: http://www.drivergear.vw.com/vw10/SK...7P61166469.asp
That looks cute, but it isn't tall enough to hold much of anything. What I use in the truck of the car is one of those plastic crates with the hinged sides that collapses in a neat way, with the sides folding into the interior. These are great for a couple of reasons. There are light and about the right size to set your groceries in, and in the event that you find yourself out somewhere and needing all of the trunk space, you simply collapse them. Very handy. But they are prone to slide around, however you could fix that easily if it mattered a lot to you.
KeyserS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 07:01 AM   #3
magne
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
magne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: norway
Posts: 413
Default

I just use a bag like the one in the link. I holds on by velcro, so it does not move around.
It is big enough to fit most normal stuff people keep in their cars.
I know the link is in a foregin lanugage, but look at the pics.

http://www.jula.no/bagasjeromsveske-619235
http://biltema.no/no/Bil---MC/Bil-ti...msveske-39336/

If you want something with compartments something like this maybe?

http://biltema.no/no/Bil---MC/Bil-ti...omsboks-39631/

I'm sure also US stores for car supplies have similar china made item
magne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 07:13 AM   #4
redcupr
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
redcupr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: WA
Posts: 157
Default

This is what we have in the back of our SUV, I'll probably get one for the trunk of the IS. Holds groceries and other items scored at the mall. The bottom is rubberized so it' doesn't slide around.

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/...nizers?mid=426
redcupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 07:25 AM   #5
Dark9t316
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Dark9t316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ca
Posts: 371
Default

I just get the free boxes from Costco, they come in different sizes too :-)
Dark9t316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 09:19 AM   #6
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
AndyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserS View Post
That looks cute, but it isn't tall enough to hold much of anything. What I use in the truck of the car is one of those plastic crates with the hinged sides that collapses in a neat way, with the sides folding into the interior. These are great for a couple of reasons. There are light and about the right size to set your groceries in, and in the event that you find yourself out somewhere and needing all of the trunk space, you simply collapse them. Very handy. But they are prone to slide around, however you could fix that easily if it mattered a lot to you.
Hi KeyserS, I think I have the similar box as you do.

I have one in the trunk of my 2IS and will probably use it in my upcoming 3IS. One concern I had is since it slides around or when you have to manipulate it to squeeze some space for other stuff, the plastic edges will hit and mar the trunk passthrough cover (in 2IS, it has a trunk pass through and no fold down seats). So what I ended up doing is to put the weather stripping with self-adhesive to cover all the edges of the box.
__________________
2014 IS350 AWD non F Sport, Xpel Ultimate
2011 RX350 AWD, Ventureshield Ultra
AndyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 03:17 PM   #7
G8rGirl
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
Hi KeyserS, I think I have the similar box as you do.

I have one in the trunk of my 2IS and will probably use it in my upcoming 3IS. One concern I had is since it slides around or when you have to manipulate it to squeeze some space for other stuff, the plastic edges will hit and mar the trunk passthrough cover (in 2IS, it has a trunk pass through and no fold down seats). So what I ended up doing is to put the weather stripping with self-adhesive to cover all the edges of the box.
That's my concern. I would like something more box-like than the link I posted, but shorter than what KeyserS uses, so it is less cumbersome and less likely to scratch the inside of the car. I would also like something specifically made for trunks so it already has the no-slide feature. I was hoping for a Lexus product too. I will keep looking and check out the U-Haul product as well. Thanks everyone.
G8rGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 03:20 PM   #8
G8rGirl
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magne View Post
I just use a bag like the one in the link. I holds on by velcro, so it does not move around.
It is big enough to fit most normal stuff people keep in their cars.
I know the link is in a foregin lanugage, but look at the pics.

http://www.jula.no/bagasjeromsveske-619235
http://biltema.no/no/Bil---MC/Bil-ti...msveske-39336/

If you want something with compartments something like this maybe?

http://biltema.no/no/Bil---MC/Bil-ti...omsboks-39631/

I'm sure also US stores for car supplies have similar china made item
I like the "Bagasjeromsveske"
G8rGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 01:13 AM   #9
magne
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
magne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: norway
Posts: 413
Default

It means trunk bag

I have one of these attached to inner wall in the trunk. It uses velcro to attach.
Fits a warning triangle, first aid kit, snow brush, emergency brakedown kit, and some other bits and pieces I have just in case

Click the image to open in full size.
magne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 06:49 AM   #10
KeyserS
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
Hi KeyserS, I think I have the similar box as you do.

I have one in the trunk of my 2IS and will probably use it in my upcoming 3IS. One concern I had is since it slides around or when you have to manipulate it to squeeze some space for other stuff, the plastic edges will hit and mar the trunk passthrough cover (in 2IS, it has a trunk pass through and no fold down seats). So what I ended up doing is to put the weather stripping with self-adhesive to cover all the edges of the box.
That is a good idea, to use weather-stripping with sticky back to cover the edges. However in my trunk this isn't a problem. It doesn't slide all the much, and the interior of the trunk is fairly well protected with plastic panels that can withstand a good deal of abuse before showing any sign of wear.

We might not be talking about the same thing, but probably something similar. The thing I use is this:
http://www.movingauthorities.com/fol...lastic-crates/

But there are other variations in different dimensions, including some shorter:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25124
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25124
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25124
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=98086

I like the idea of using velcro tape on the bottom to prevent sliding around, but then it might be a hassle to move it when you want.

At one point and for a while I was using some dense foam mats to prevent sliding. I used the interlocking square pads that you see sold in stores for kids to play on:
http://www.greatmats.com/products/fo...FY2Z4AodoQgA7Q

This worked well, but this stuff typically is made from a type of rubber that smells bad. After I had had it in the trunk for a long while, one hot summer day I was really noticing the bad smell, but because it had been so long since I put the mat in the trunk, I didn't associate the small with the mat until sometime later when I opened the trunk and realized that was what was causing the unpleasant odor. That was unfortunate, because other than the odor, it worked very, very well indeed. I think I had four of them in there, interlocked, covering the floor of the trunk. You could possibly try the same thing using a rubbery yoga mat, but without as much cushioning it would not grab nearly as well. The dense foam mat was perfect, and it is too bad that it smelled bad.
KeyserS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 07:55 AM   #11
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
AndyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserS View Post
That is a good idea, to use weather-stripping with sticky back to cover the edges. However in my trunk this isn't a problem. It doesn't slide all the much, and the interior of the trunk is fairly well protected with plastic panels that can withstand a good deal of abuse before showing any sign of wear.

We might not be talking about the same thing, but probably something similar. The thing I use is this:
http://www.movingauthorities.com/fol...lastic-crates/

But there are other variations in different dimensions, including some shorter:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25124
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25124
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25124
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=98086

I like the idea of using velcro tape on the bottom to prevent sliding around, but then it might be a hassle to move it when you want.

At one point and for a while I was using some dense foam mats to prevent sliding. I used the interlocking square pads that you see sold in stores for kids to play on:
http://www.greatmats.com/products/fo...FY2Z4AodoQgA7Q

This worked well, but this stuff typically is made from a type of rubber that smells bad. After I had had it in the trunk for a long while, one hot summer day I was really noticing the bad smell, but because it had been so long since I put the mat in the trunk, I didn't associate the small with the mat until sometime later when I opened the trunk and realized that was what was causing the unpleasant odor. That was unfortunate, because other than the odor, it worked very, very well indeed. I think I had four of them in there, interlocked, covering the floor of the trunk. You could possibly try the same thing using a rubbery yoga mat, but without as much cushioning it would not grab nearly as well. The dense foam mat was perfect, and it is too bad that it smelled bad.
KeyserS,

We are talking about the same thing. It is always good to share some thoughts on such things only owners care on the forums!

The only main difference is mine has two tone colors - black borders with grey vertical plates --- I am not particulaly fond or dislike the color scheme. It was available in Staples stores in my area and it is the right size.

Actually because I don't usually leave the box empty, it is actually not moving at all if you use the standard Lexus trunk carpet. The concern is when you have to push the box towards the rear seat where you might mar the plastic panels over a period of time. This is the reason why the weather stripping was added to the box that I used. When I applied the weather stripping, it is only the top edges of the box. I actually applied three of the edges (two short sides and one long side) so that I can spot which direction the box is placed in the trunk.

And the great mat -- I have a few of these but they are in much large sizes around the house and garage. They are very useful in many ways. But when feeeding the bottom of the trunk, it may be a bit thick for the limited headroom of the trunk.
__________________
2014 IS350 AWD non F Sport, Xpel Ultimate
2011 RX350 AWD, Ventureshield Ultra
AndyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 07:55 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
car, forum, lexus, organizer, trunk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discounts for Active Military and Vets Lil4X Great Deals 2 06-25-13 05:01 AM
Like Your Leather Interior? Amskeptic LS400 26 04-15-10 10:16 PM
VW CC: I want it with COLORS Coco-bun Car Chat 28 02-19-09 01:46 PM
Review: 2009 Volkswagen CC mmarshall Car Chat 50 02-11-09 12:36 PM
Volkswagen considering Beetle-based pickup? Gojirra99 Car Chat 3 10-06-08 07:21 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:41 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info