IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dings on black plastic trim -front windshield

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-13, 11:13 AM
blksolara
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dings on black plastic trim -front windshield

Anyone encounter this? i guess the material is too cheap - i have a very bad ding from most likely a rock from the freeway.

Wondering how much to possible replace it and in the future protect it?

I can see this being a big problem in the future.
Old 08-25-13, 03:14 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blksolara
Anyone encounter this? i guess the material is too cheap - i have a very bad ding from most likely a rock from the freeway.

Wondering how much to possible replace it and in the future protect it?

I can see this being a big problem in the future.
Just my cents. I don't think the material is considered cheap. Any surfaces on the front are subject to stone chips. You will get one or two dings on the black window trim but not too many down the road.

The black plastic trim is similar to what is on the 2IS. After 8 years, I don't think too many and it is not bothering me. I notice some other cars have that trim in painted or shiny black (say, some Mercedes) and I find them even worse. At least when you wash and wipe your windshield, you have one less thing to worry that is swirl prone.

If stone chips are a concern, the first thing is to make sure you have the clear bra on your car.

I believe the black matte plastic trim on each side of the front windshield are attached by adhesive and once you remove the trim, the adhesive cannot be reused.
Old 08-25-13, 09:34 PM
blksolara
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Just my cents. I don't think the material is considered cheap. Any surfaces on the front are subject to stone chips. You will get one or two dings on the black window trim but not too many down the road.

The black plastic trim is similar to what is on the 2IS. After 8 years, I don't think too many and it is not bothering me. I notice some other cars have that trim in painted or shiny black (say, some Mercedes) and I find them even worse. At least when you wash and wipe your windshield, you have one less thing to worry that is swirl prone.

If stone chips are a concern, the first thing is to make sure you have the clear bra on your car.

I believe the black matte plastic trim on each side of the front windshield are attached by adhesive and once you remove the trim, the adhesive cannot be reused.
Andy - thanks for the feedback appreciate it!

I would of prefer that chip on actual paint then on the black trim, it would of been easier to fix/conceal.

I would of just prefer if it was rubber vs plastic for bettet durability. Im going to check with the dealer how much to replace and gonna check on getting that clear bra after all.

Any idea how much to replace and how hard? Im worried they will have to remove panels.
Old 08-26-13, 05:47 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blksolara
Andy - thanks for the feedback appreciate it!

I would of prefer that chip on actual paint then on the black trim, it would of been easier to fix/conceal.

I would of just prefer if it was rubber vs plastic for bettet durability. Im going to check with the dealer how much to replace and gonna check on getting that clear bra after all.

Any idea how much to replace and how hard? Im worried they will have to remove panels.
Actually if you do replace the trims, it is possible to put a film on it. There are various matte films on the market including the Xpel Stealth which is a matte but clear film --- people put this on the matte paint cars.