IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Interesting Little Details Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-14, 12:43 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 397 Likes on 241 Posts

Got a great one, get out of the car and put the alarm on as usual..... It doesn't beep and the door locks keep clicking. Wish I knew what's it doing. I wait a little keep trying, then try unlocking, turn off position of key fob and drivers door doesn't work. I go passengers side and it's open. I manually unlock the drivers door, get in drivers seat, restart car and back to normal.... And this happened twice. Weird
Old 04-20-14, 11:03 AM
Rsnic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if its been said, but today i found out that if you turn the car off while in drive it will keep the car in accessory mode, so you'll still be able to charge your phone/listen to music even though the engine is off.
Old 04-20-14, 11:57 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

that also allows to to continue a bluetooth call
Old 04-20-14, 02:10 PM
kidfsport
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rsnic
I don't know if its been said, but today i found out that if you turn the car off while in drive it will keep the car in accessory mode, so you'll still be able to charge your phone/listen to music even though the engine is off.
I was wondering how to do that, really annoying when you want to sit in the car with the radio after driving, but what do you mean by while in drive? Like actually turning the car off with the gear selector in D?
Old 04-20-14, 03:47 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kidfsport
I was wondering how to do that, really annoying when you want to sit in the car with the radio after driving, but what do you mean by while in drive? Like actually turning the car off with the gear selector in D?
Anything but P will do.
Old 04-20-14, 04:34 PM
Rsnic
Rookie

Yeah, if you press the engine start/stop while the transmission is in D it goes into accessory mode which it will say on the dash. After that you can go ahead and put the car in park. Once you want to shut the car off completely just hit the start/stop button again.

I've been trying to figure it out for the longest time and just assumed that with the push button start it was impossible. Good thing i was in a rush today and forgot to put the car in park before turining it off.
Old 04-21-14, 08:19 AM
nayuta
Driver

^ That. I always assumed that I couldn't go to the accessory mode directly from drive.
Old 04-22-14, 05:11 PM
kidfsport
Driver School Candidate

^^ thanks , 1st time I've ever seen a car allow you to turn off the engine with the tranny in drive. great find!!!
Old 04-22-14, 07:53 PM
VGer
Rookie

^^ thanks , 1st time I've ever seen a car allow you to turn off the engine with the tranny in drive. great find!!!
They probably added that "feature" after the great gas pedal sticking fiasco that killed a few people.
Old 04-23-14, 10:35 AM
bstriks
Driver School Candidate

....if you hold down the phone button for approx 2 secs, it will redial the last number you called.
Old 04-25-14, 11:46 AM
craigsager
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rsnic
Yeah, if you press the engine start/stop while the transmission is in D it goes into accessory mode which it will say on the dash. After that you can go ahead and put the car in park. Once you want to shut the car off completely just hit the start/stop button again.

I've been trying to figure it out for the longest time and just assumed that with the push button start it was impossible. Good thing i was in a rush today and forgot to put the car in park before turining it off.

So there's no way to engage accessory mode from a cold state? I'd have to power on, switch gear to drive with brakes engaged, turn off engine, then put gear into park? Seems so odd.
Old 04-25-14, 11:54 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by craigsager
So there's no way to engage accessory mode from a cold state? I'd have to power on, switch gear to drive with brakes engaged, turn off engine, then put gear into park? Seems so odd.
From a cold/off state, to access accessory mode, just push the start button without depressing the brake pedal. A second push (without brake) will put you into what would typically be the "ON" position. Push it again and it will turn off, or push it with the brake pedal engaged and it'll start the engine.
Old 04-25-14, 12:22 PM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What happens if you press the start/stop button while driving? Does it blowup? I have a very imaginative mind
Old 04-25-14, 12:30 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by sternb818
What happens if you press the start/stop button while driving? Does it blowup? I have a very imaginative mind
Apparently you do!

From the manual:

If you want to stop the engine in an emergency while driving the vehicle, press and hold the engine switch for more than 2 seconds, or press it briefly 3 times or more in succession.

However, do not touch the engine switch while driving except in an emergency. Turning the engine off while driving will not cause loss of steering or braking control, but the power assist to these systems will be lost. This will make it more difficult to steer and brake, so you should pull over and stop the vehicle as soon as it is safe to do so.
I gather this to mean nothing happens unless you hold it for 2 seconds, or press it multiple times, which will turn off the engine.
Old 04-28-14, 08:51 PM
Kimchiguy
Pit Crew

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Finally figured out where to put the owner's manuals - something my dealer failed to mention.
Attached Thumbnails Interesting Little Details Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-img_20140428_233803.jpg  

Quick Reply: Interesting Little Details Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)