IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Interesting Little Details Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 10:08 AM
cpham4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SORRY IF THIS WAS ALREADY COVERED, BUT

I was driving home last night and I was the only one on the transition bridge so I gunned the car to 100 mph and I noticed that the speed indicator light that is generally yellow which I set to go off if I go over 80 mpg, turned red when I went over 100mph.

Nice surprise, but don't you all go out and try this! Wouldn't want you to get a ticket!
Old 02-26-14, 10:13 AM
sc00b
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doctorttt
At night time, you will see two stripes of white light on the mouse -

The clip that mounts the usb cable can actually fit two wires instead of one -

Looking at the rims, I see that there are like a few metal tags on each, and I have no clue what they are -

And I hate that annoying gracenote crap -
those metal things on your wheels are for balancing the wheels
Old 02-26-14, 10:33 AM
leoben
Rookie

I don't know if this is a problem just in my no nav IS300h or it's normal even for nav version.
In the steering wheel controls, there's something wrong. Look the picture:

The UP arrow change to the next radio station (but that one is down in the list.)
And the DOWN arrow moves the cursor to the previous station (up in the list)...
Old 02-26-14, 10:45 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in the US the down arrow moves you down the list on the NAV screen, which is up in number.
Old 02-26-14, 11:27 AM
leoben
Rookie

Originally Posted by carderoni
Here in the US the down arrow moves you down the list on the NAV screen, which is up in number.
Not in my car...
Old 03-03-14, 06:41 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

If you have the sunroof open to vent/popped up, then want to slide it back, you must first close it (using the button on the left) then you can slide it back (using the button on the right). This is the first car I've had where you couldn't go directly from vented to full open.
Old 03-10-14, 06:43 AM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OMVR
Maybe I'm a n00b but I didn't know there were 3 different viewing modes on the navigation as opposed to the standard 2 views. The 3D is bueno!
Help a n00b out... how do you enable 3d mode on the map? I went through all the settings while parked and couldn't find it?

Thanks.
Old 03-10-14, 07:08 AM
redcupr
Driver

Originally Posted by akshunj
Help a n00b out... how do you enable 3d mode on the map? I went through all the settings while parked and couldn't find it?

Thanks.
Good morning! Up in the upper left of the map screen there's a compass looking thing. Click on that with the mouse and it will cycle through the views (one of which is the 3D view).
Old 03-10-14, 07:38 AM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redcupr
Good morning! Up in the upper left of the map screen there's a compass looking thing. Click on that with the mouse and it will cycle through the views (one of which is the 3D view).
ahh thx!!!
Old 03-10-14, 07:55 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cpham4
SORRY IF THIS WAS ALREADY COVERED, BUT

I was driving home last night and I was the only one on the transition bridge so I gunned the car to 100 mph and I noticed that the speed indicator light that is generally yellow which I set to go off if I go over 80 mpg, turned red when I went over 100mph.

Nice surprise, but don't you all go out and try this! Wouldn't want you to get a ticket!
This is a customizable option through the speedo/tach display. You can have a speed warning display or not and you can customize at which speed it shows up. Mine is turned off since we have some highways here in Austin with an 85mph speed limit.

Originally Posted by dAiLL3sT
Does anyone know how to change the following? When I drive in sports+ mode and shift near to redline the needle drops to lower rpm but theres a fading effect from rpm i shifted from. That needle is blue but I want either white or red anyone know how to change that?
You can change the color of your needle in the customization options (when you move the tach to the right). The color of the needle will change the color of the RPM "limit" thing. That little ghost of a marker can also be turned off entirely. You cannot specifically set what color the shadow is, but I want to say with a red needle, the ghost is white or blue, instead of red with the blue needle. And actually, I could be dreaming and maybe it's always the same color, but I know you can turn it off and on for sure.
Old 03-10-14, 09:45 AM
phungy
Driver

Driving in D and the gear at the bottom reads 7. I decided to up-shift using the paddle shifter and the top reads D8 however the bottom stays at 7th gear. I also didn't notice the engine upshifting. I guess while in D, the computer/car decides when it is appropriate to shift and not the driver.
Attached Thumbnails Interesting Little Details Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-2014-03-05-11.06.56.jpg  
Old 03-10-14, 10:02 AM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phungy
Driving in D and the gear at the bottom reads 7. I decided to up-shift using the paddle shifter and the top reads D8 however the bottom stays at 7th gear. I also didn't notice the engine upshifting. I guess while in D, the computer/car decides when it is appropriate to shift and not the driver.
It's because you are in Sport +. It won't go higher than 7 in Sport + in D to maximize the RPM Range. If you put in S mode and Sport +, it will allow you to shift to 8 at 60mph.
Old 03-10-14, 12:30 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not sure if this was covered but I WAS SO HAPPY TO FIND THIS!

on the 3IS, as long as all doors are unlocked, you can open the trunk by pressing the button below the trunk without having the key with you, or without having to press the trunk open button to the left of the steering wheel.

on the 2IS, you either had to have the key with you, or press the trunk button beside the steering wheel.
So now, the 3IS treats the trunk just like a door! Which is MUCH more convenient like a hatchback!
Old 03-12-14, 04:32 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Hopefully it's better on the F Sport display, but on the non F Sport instrument cluster, the sun, coming through the sunroof, really washes out the display.
Attached Thumbnails Interesting Little Details Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-image.jpg  
Old 03-12-14, 05:20 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^

The good news is that's only a problem 3 months a year up in Seattle. Although Seattle days do seem to last 18 hours during those 3 months. (Sorry couldn't help myself -- having lived in the PNW 5 years).

Quick Reply: Interesting Little Details Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)