IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Interesting Little Details Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-13, 08:49 AM
iamthafeez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that I barely use the speedo/taco to the right. Most of the info on there is pretty useless for the everyday drive. It doesn't show the song title for radio and the bluetooth song titles are mess throughout the system. The ONE cool feature about the speedo moved to the right is when you're en route to a destination, the nav screen will show you turn by turn directions.

Anyone have any cool reasons for moving the speedo that I'm not aware of??
Old 12-26-13, 11:00 AM
abcsoup
Driver

Originally Posted by iamthafeez
I noticed that I barely use the speedo/taco to the right. Most of the info on there is pretty useless for the everyday drive. It doesn't show the song title for radio and the bluetooth song titles are mess throughout the system. The ONE cool feature about the speedo moved to the right is when you're en route to a destination, the nav screen will show you turn by turn directions.

Anyone have any cool reasons for moving the speedo that I'm not aware of??
I'm the same as you; I use the screen centered 99% of the time. To me, it just feels better that way. The asymmetry bothers me a lot.

When I do use it shifted to the right, I'm typically driving with nav enabled. This way, I can see the (first few letters) of the song/artist while keeping the nav screen map fullscreened.
Old 12-26-13, 01:59 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the rear brake of the 3IS is bigger than the 2IS. It almost looks like they used the 250 front brake for the 350 rear
Old 12-26-13, 04:59 PM
ddb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLiCkFX
So I was driving when my nav/radio froze. I was unable to control the volume or anything else. The only way to get it back to normal is to restart the car. I didn't feel like stopping to restart the car. So I put the car in neutral, accidentally hit reverse (oops) and the rear video camera came on while I was still rolling forward. Good to know the reverse won't full engage until you are at full stop.

I did put the car back in neutral and you have to hold down the starter to turn the car off when in motion. A message pops ups to tell you that.

I find it hilarious I have to reboot my car when it freezes.
Please please PLEASE never ever do this again on any vehicle unless you have no other option.

Once you turn OFF the engine, you only have one time to use the power assisted brakes, after that, you are on your own as you need to pump the pedal to brake. Same thing with power steering, you have to put some muscle to steer.

Turning OFF your vehicle while driving should ONLY be done in case of an emergency where you have no other option.

Based on your description on how this whole thing happened, I can tell you got a little bit "altered" by the Sound System issue, and I can tell because you shifted to Reverse while driving. You are lucky most new vehicles won't allow it to engage if you are going forward, as you would have blown the transmission.

In 99% of the cases, you should be able to reset the Navigation/Sound System by holding down the Power button for 3 seconds or more. If that doesn't work, and you must use the system, you need to stop when it is safe to do so, and cycle the Engine power. Never do this while driving, please, for your safety and for those around you as well.

If the problem with your Audio System persists, take it to Lexus so they can check it. They will probably update the Firmware on the system if is not at the latest version.
Old 12-26-13, 10:44 PM
DreLo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Glashub
Oh we are so aware of what it doesn't have thanks to the dedicated efforts of the 3IS sucks crowd. Can you tell me what it does have that no other car at this price point has? Hint: I spent the weekend driving Hwy 1 between Cambria and Big Sur. Know the road? I had a blast and am amazed at the tech and engineering put into the ride/handling. Hit 105 going through a few curves in Sport+ (early morning -- no traffic on the 2 lane) but slowed down out of fear of some small animal crossing the road.

What a driving machine!!!

Want a cool fanny, a rear shade, 429hp, and a bunch of tech -- buy a Genesis -- there's nothing for you here. But do be aware that your cooled fanny will be sliding on the flat drivers seat as the boat rolls through curves. This car is a throw back to when cars were meant to be driven and had a fun factor rather than a pamper factor.
I couldn't agree more! Too many people seem so focused on what is missing and are forgetting how great the car is. Sure there are things that I would like to have changed but in the end, no car is perfect for everyone. I drove lots of different ones and I instantly fell in love with the IS. I absolutely love this car!
Old 12-30-13, 01:17 PM
albino1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In an effort to solve the "where the heck am I supposed to put my phone" issue, I went and purchased
Jelly Sticky Pad by HandStands Jelly Sticky Pad by HandStands
on Amazon ($6.99 w/ Prime shipping). I measured it out, cut it with scissors, and put it in between the heated/cooled seats buttons:

Interesting Little Details Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-1abrblz.jpg

I put my iPhone 5 on it and it seems pretty stable. I have an OtterBox case, so maybe that helps. I slammed the brakes a bit a few times, and took some hard turns, and it never moved, so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone in a similar jam.
Old 12-30-13, 03:29 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know you are from CA when you are rocking the butt cooler in December lol.
Old 12-30-13, 03:35 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Prepboy607
Not only does the headrest go up and down but it can go forward as well. There are 3 setting. The trick is to pull from the bottom.

Top pic is all the way back and bottom pic is all the way forward.
That's actually pretty cool. I had no idea
Old 12-30-13, 03:54 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

@Slust thanks for posting the info about the digital clock.

But what I cant seem to figure out is if the digi clock remains up at all times or only when I go to this screen, I really want to see the digi clock time at all times. Not just when I go to the settings menu to look it up, by the time I do all that I could just look at my phone. Lol
Attached Thumbnails Interesting Little Details Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-lexus149.jpg  
Old 12-30-13, 03:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^^ Headrest: I second that! I had posted some good ones as well as many other discoveries contributed by fellow CL members but Prepboy607's headrest fore/aft motion is my favorite discovery as of this writing. I had to try it for myself to believe it!
Old 12-30-13, 04:02 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
@Slust thanks for posting the info about the digital clock.

But what I cant seem to figure out is if the digi clock remains up at all times or only when I go to this screen, I really want to see the digi clock time at all times. Not just when I go to the settings menu to look it up, by the time I do all that I could just look at my phone. Lol
It is only on that screen which is why I'm annoyed by it. They are clearly getting the time from GPS and know how to display it in their software, but they're only doing it on that stupid screen stuck deep in their menu system.

If I'm on a trip where I need to know the time often and don't want to mess with picking up my phone than I will leave it on that screen and then control the radio through the steering wheel buttons. Which obviously annoys me since everything else in this car is modern tech (or future tech compared to the competition) but they can't include a digital clock at least on the two most common screens - Nav and Radio. Even if it was on the main menu I'd be ok with that since I could just hit the Home button.
Old 12-30-13, 04:14 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I took a trip over Christmas to another time zone and a window pops up that you have entered another time zone and asks if you want to update the clock to the current time zone. For what? It doesn't benefit me in any way as I have to manually change the clock that I can see.
Old 12-30-13, 04:32 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I took a trip over Christmas to another time zone and a window pops up that you have entered another time zone and asks if you want to update the clock to the current time zone. For what? It doesn't benefit me in any way as I have to manually change the clock that I can see.
I can think of a reason: when you program your nav, it computes time to destination. If you change the system clock to synch with a different time zone you'll arrive at the time appropriate for that zone. It has nothing to do with the clock on the dash. The nav on my Mustang GT doesn't even ask the question--it changes the system time automatically when I drive into a different time zone.

Last edited by UncleSpud; 12-30-13 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 04:35 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Car icon is not centered. It's the same when tire pressure is showing on F-Sport gauge.

Last edited by dojoman; 01-01-14 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 04:43 PM
albino1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slust
You know you are from CA when you are rocking the butt cooler in December lol.
Haha, you got me there. Gonna be 70's and 80's all week!

Quick Reply: Interesting Little Details Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)