IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

If Lexus service people put swirls all over your car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 10:53 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't say I've ever paid more than $300 for all that, and the job was good enough that my hands would slip off the door as I tried to close it when exiting the vehicle.
Old 08-23-13, 12:45 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The lessons learned here is to never let your dealer wash your car.

Second, always have the service writer or porter document the condition of your car before you hand over the keys. This is a standard thing many dealerships already do, to prevent false claims.

Now that you are in a pickle, all you can do is go back to your dealership and plead your case. Most will want good customer relations after a sale and offer to fix the problem. If you get stuck there, go back to your salesperson and explain the story. After spending all that coin and giving the dealership good marks, mention how disappointed you are. If you had a decent relationship with him/her during the sale, the least he/she can do is have the service department buff out the paint. I've seen this offered countless times, because countless people have their cars washed and scratched. Your situation is quite common.

So forget about spending money. Go back and talk to your service guy and start there. You should be taken care of. And don't worry about the reduction of the clearcoat. They have detailers there who do high-end work on LS's and expensive cars.... they won't be doing a basic, cheap job like they did for your wash.
Old 08-23-13, 12:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
Can't say I've ever paid more than $300 for all that, and the job was good enough that my hands would slip off the door as I tried to close it when exiting the vehicle.
Totally depends on where you are, in CA detailers have a lot of competition. Here, $500 is not unusual for that work from a great detailer.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
So forget about spending money. Go back and talk to your service guy and start there. You should be taken care of. And don't worry about the reduction of the clearcoat. They have detailers there who do high-end work on LS's and expensive cars.... they won't be doing a basic, cheap job like they did for your wash.
The dealer WILL NEVER detail your car the way you want it detailed. Just look around on here and on detailing sites about horror stories about dealers detailing cars...ask bnlexus on the 4GS forum how it turned out for him when he let the dealer polish his GS against my and a few other people's advice.

Make the dealer pay for a professional detail using someone of your choosing.
Old 08-23-13, 02:15 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great advice everyone. I will keep that in mind, making sure that Lexus won't screw it up when it's time for service.
Old 08-24-13, 02:31 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The odds of a dealer giving you money to have your car detailed eslewhere are slim to nothing. They will offer to fix the problem, and should have the ability to do so. If they are selling LFA's, they should know how to polish a car. (Whether they can or not, I can't predict.) I've had good luck at my SoCal dealers with any cleaning service above the standard car wash.
Good luck!
Old 08-24-13, 07:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The odds of a dealer giving you money to have your car detailed eslewhere are slim to nothing. They will offer to fix the problem, and should have the ability to do so. If they are selling LFA's, they should know how to polish a car. (Whether they can or not, I can't predict.) I've had good luck at my SoCal dealers with any cleaning service above the standard car wash.
Good luck!
There are many instances where that has been done on the GS forum. A Lexus dealer gave me $400 to have my car professionally detailed one time when they swirled it washing it. They don't want to, but you have to insist. When I detailed cars professionally I repaired the paint on brand new cars from dealer prep and from courtesy washes ALL THE TIME, many times at the dealers expense.

You have to stay firm, if they cannot wash the car how can they possibly polish it? They use glazes and crap like that to make the car look good until they wear away and their hackery comes through. These things take real skill, just anybody with a buffer can't get your finish where you want it to be. Dealers do not pay enough to keep ANY competent detailer on staff. Its some kid back there and with a rotary polisher he can screw up your car I promise you. Good detailers are making $50-$60 an hour working for private clients, and finding clients isn't too hard actually.

You have to remember most clients don't care...so the dealer doesn't care. YOU care, so NEVER, EVER let the dealer touch your car's paint. If they screw it up, DO NOT let them fix it. I promise you they will make it worse.
Old 08-24-13, 07:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Read this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ealership.html

He didn't listen to those of us who urged him to force the dealer to pay for an outside detail when the dealer swirled his car up during a courtesy wash. This is what he said to my question as to whether I got to him in time:

Originally Posted by bnlexus
You did, but I still dropped the car off this morning. I feel that I can give them one try. The dealership is supposed to have excellent reputation and the advisor is very eager to have this fixed for me. After he gave me the loaner's key, he asked me to give him a few days (originally it was quoted at 6 hours). I replied, "take your time. I know it's not easy to fix." I think he knows what I'm after. I hope this will fix it. Thanks for the feedback. If you know someone in Houston area, please share. Thanks.
After they "detailed it":

The moment I saw my car, I had a very strange feeling that couldn't describe. I was rushing but now that I have time and think about it...

Where I work, the parking lot is lit with high power halogen light. I always enjoy looking at the car when I walk toward it at night when leaving the office. Last night I didn't have that feeling when I saw my car under dealership's light which is similar. The feeling I guess was like... "Is that my car?" The paint on the hood is smooth but I feel as if it lost its deep glossy look I have built onto this car. The NB Rx next to it way out shined mine. NB is a different paint but mine is supposed to give a wow when it's clean and shiny too.

Steve and Syd and others,
I would hate to find out you are right. I've been here long enough to not let this happen to me but one post here I read the other day about a "professional" detailer, well known dealership and all the hassle/time associated with outside detailers steered me to an "easy" choice. I'm going to request a voucher for professional detailer.
After he requested a voucher for a professional detailer:

They didn't even reject/question the request at all. I can go to the detailer of my choice. Phil recommended this one. I'll stop by for a quote. As some of you suspected, they put a glaze layer over my paint.
If you read on in the thread you will see that once the detailer got into it he found the damage caused by the dealer's "detail" was quite bad, and on the fender it was too deep to polish out safely and will have to remain:

This is after the detail, this is permanent damage:

This is what he said:

If I had listened to Steve, maybe I don't have to live with this scar.
If you care about your car's finish. PLEASE listen to me and never let the dealer wash it, if they do and swirl it up which they will, MAKE THEM PAY A PROFESSIONAL TO FIX IT, don't let them "try to fix it".
Old 08-24-13, 05:16 PM
TXDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has happened to me twice, once at BMW, once at Acura. Telling the dealership not to wash your car doesn't always work, it seems to be part of their normal process and often they do it anyway.

The BMW dealership swirled the hell out of my car 2 weeks after I drove it off the lot. I had not even washed it myself. I was livid. They hired some stupid kid to wash cars and he was using a dried out chamois and swirled every car that day. The dealer brought in a professional detailer to polish out the swirls and apply a protective coating (this was way back in 2000) and it looked good as new and there were no long term issues with it.

Acura did the same thing with my car but this time I just polished it myself with a DA polisher and the appropriate pads and compounds. Harbor Freight now sells a DA polisher that gets good reviews. Pads and a swirl remover or light compound are not that expensive.

I recently applied Opti-coat 2.0 on both our cars after a good polish and it works great. Not really a wax, it is an epoxy like coating that is supposed to last for years. A little pricey but I did 2 cars using only half of the product.

Best of luck.
Old 08-24-13, 05:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I watched a dealership wash kid washing cars with a big wide floor broom one time
Old 08-24-13, 06:14 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

NO DEALER WASH....

Never had it, Never will..!!!

~ Joe Z
Old 08-24-13, 07:06 PM
Bayman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The service advisor may note your request not to wash the car, but I took the extra step of printing two pages that read "NO WASH" in font size 80 and placed them on the windshield. This ensures that everyone sees the note.
Old 08-25-13, 12:08 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bayman
The service advisor may note your request not to wash the car, but I took the extra step of printing two pages that read "NO WASH" in font size 80 and placed them on the windshield. This ensures that everyone sees the note.
I like this idea. lol
Old 08-25-13, 12:35 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

even if they swirled your car how would you prove it? Unless somehow you demonstrated before the service that there were no swirls
Old 08-25-13, 01:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
even if they swirled your car how would you prove it? Unless somehow you demonstrated before the service that there were no swirls
The fact that you told them not to wash it...and they washed it...and now it's swirled is proof enough. If you push it the dealership won't give you a hard time, especially a luxury brand dealership.

This happens all the time, and dealers pay for outside details afterwards all the time.
Old 08-25-13, 01:44 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I thought that a service manager would always look at the car for damage prior taking it to service. That's what I remember when I had my 2IS - he spoke with me for a little; looked at my car; did some paperwork; etc. Moving forward, I will just tell the service manager and have him to make note that my cars don't have swirls whatsoever.

Last edited by doctorttt; 08-25-13 at 08:56 PM.

Quick Reply: If Lexus service people put swirls all over your car?