Old 08-20-13, 07:46 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default 3 German sports sedans the Lexus IS350 can spank on an autocross

3 German sports sedans the Lexus IS350 can spank on an autocross course
by John Goreham

August 19, 2013

This Sunday August 18th Lexus held a public driving event that was so good it deserves its own review along with the 2014 IS 250 and IS350 sport sedans it was promoting. The cars are big news. Fully redesigned, the IS Series bodies and interiors are amazing and the carryover drivetrains still are among the best available at any price tag. The redesign really moves these new IS250 and IS350s to the top of the compact sports sedan pecking order. Driving the Lexus IS back to back with the Mercedes C350, BMW 335i, and Audi A4 2.0T revealed that the sports car of the group is not German.

Each of the three German “sports” sedans has lost its way, and Lexus has been tuning its already decent IS250 and IS350 to be what these cars were or might have been. In this list you will read why the Lexus is better on a twisty course than some of your favorite cars. If you are a fan of the German cars your first reaction will be disbelief. Your second will be anger. Eventually you will get around to accepting the facts. Those are the states of grieving and we all go through them the same. Unless you were at this event in Foxboro on Sunday, or are a professional auto writer you likely have not seen the IS, never mind driven it. We trust you will not like what you are about to read unless you are a Lexus sports car fan. To date there have been relatively few. There are about to be thousands more.

If you want to go on believing that a sports sedan has to be made in Germany to be good, click away. We appreciate you trying out the story. However, if you are open to learning just how the Lexus smokes these three great cars on a closed course, read on :

How Lexus IS350 beats the BMW 335i on an autocross course

Let’s get the hard part out of the way. The BMW 335i is now as expensive as a vacation house and it is about as fast from 0-30 MPH. The problem is turbo lag. When you move your foot off the brake and floor the gas almost nothing happens about as long as you can say “One Chimpanzeee.” Then the engine has caught its breath, literally, and the turbos are spooled up. At about 3500 RPM the engine turns into a cannon and shoots the car forward to the redline, and it shifts and it then goes on its way.

Honestly, it isn’t really a bad thing. Until you drive either the Lexus IS350 (any version) or the Mercedes C350. Both have normally aspirated (no turbo) engines. When you punch the gas they go. And they go pretty darn fast. Immediately. The Lexus advertises more power than the BMW 335i, but almost everyone who drives it or tests it knows that BMW is under-rating their engines. The BMW has more than its advertised power. The Lexus advertises 306 HP and it is a true number. Why do BMW engines seem to have more power than their official rating? Ask them. Maybe because when you can no longer get the power you need from your engine and turn to turbos to solve the problem things get complicated.

One more thing. The BMW 335i has an electronic nannie with attachment issues. All cars use nannies, (officially stability and traction control and ABS and more stuff that takes the car away from the driver when it thinks you don’t mean to be skidding or sliding) and we felt them all come on during our tests. The BMW however just would not give the car back after things were sorted out. It retards the engine waay longer than the other cars tested and you sit there long enough to say “Jeepers, $63,000 is sure a lot of money for a car that does not go when I want it to go.”

We would rate the BMW behind the Lexus and behind the Mercedes. Just as it would appear in a race on a short course.

How Mercedes Benz spoiled such a great car and lets the Lexus be better

The Mercedes C350 is a really great car. The chassis is solid, the engine and transmission are as good, or better, than any competitor and the rest of the car is darn good. Except for a single simple thing that can spoil this car for you.

The first time we turned the Mercedes we fell off the driver’s seat. The driver ends up sort of between the seat and the console with one cheek on the seat, the other in the gap. Then you turn the other way and you don’t go back in the seat, your fall towards the door. Now these turns we are talking about are so hard that the car slides and the stability control comes on. Mercedes had no idea you were planning this.

If you want to drive this car in a tennis skirt from Starbucks to the club, this will never ever happen to you unless a rug rat chases a ball out in front of you. We don’t know for sure but there is likely a new automated system that will not just stop the car, and then pat the toddler on the head and wish them well. However, this car has the full kit of go fast junk. So why pay all this money for it if you are not going to be able to use it? Mercedes neutered this car by making the throne useless for sporty driving.

If you buy a Mercedes C350, be sure to get an upgraded sport seat. Or just buy the C with the little turbo engine and the seat that was designed for a wide flat **** and enjoy your latte. The car is great either way, and came closest to being a match for the Lexus IS350 or IS 250 on the course.

The Audi A4 should never be compared to any Lexus IS

Here’s the thing. We are going to describe a car to you, and you tell us which one we are describing:

1. Small engine with a CVT transmission (Constantly Variable)
2. Front wheel Drive
3. Not a bad car, but basically a commuter car.

OK, are we describing the Audi A4 or the Nissan Altima? Could be either right? This one uses premium fuel, and costs about $40K. Now you know the one, right? The Altima, excuse us, the Audi A4 is a very nice car. The dash is maybe as good as in any sedan –at any price - period. It also drives nice as long as you are just rolling along to work. In fact, when the car isn’t moving it is the best of the category. If you are going to sit in traffic (Rt. 93?) and stare at your interior, this is the one for you. However, if you want to turn and not have ridiculous understeer, if you want the engine to go when you tell it to and not have horrible turbo lag, and if you want to the car to handle like a sports car, you really should drive a Lexus IS250.

Link : http://www.examiner.com/list/3-germa...tocross-course
Old 08-20-13, 08:26 AM
Evermore
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad they didn't review the Audi S4 instead of the A4. I like to see how it ranks though it's 10K more than the IS350.
Old 08-20-13, 10:22 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write up! I was at that event and drove those exact cars. My thoughts are very much aligned with the author’s thoughts. I was going to start a thread but I’ll put my thoughts here as it seems appropriate.

First and foremost I decided to leave all the cars in D (Drive) for my runs instead of manumatic shifting. Seemed to me the most consistent way to compare. My thoughts are about the drivability and handling on this road course only.

OK here's my 2 cents

First up: Audi 2.0T FWD w/ CVT vs IS250 RWD Luxury

The Audi was a nice car but the version at the event never really stood a chance with the drivetrain layout. Harsh words from me as many of you know I’m a very big Audi fan and in fact had an A4 right before I got my current IS. Driving the car around the track while pleasurable was anything but sporty. Driving it made me fell like a teenager taking their mom’s car out for a spin on a Saturday night. Nothing good or bad to say about the handling at all. I wish the A4 would have been a Quattro as it would have been a better comparison of sport sedans.

The IS250 Lux on the other hand was a joy to drive around the course. Always in the correct gear, linear steering and throttle response and was quite fun to zip around in. More on that below in the FSport section 

Winner IS250

Next up: Merc C350 vs BMW 335i vs IS350

Merc C350 Had good power and visibility. Car felt big to me and the turn in started slow but accurate and was able to hold the line without issue. I was able to work the throttle well and by far the Merc could be the most tail happy of the group if you like that kinda stuff  which I know many of you do….. I don’t.

BMW 335i Car is fast in a straight line with lots of neck snapping torque, it was pretty awesome. But alas this was a tight course with lots of turns and although I thought the steering was very good I just couldn't’t get past the turbo lag that the OP mentions. It was horrible for me. The first time I took it out (remember this was the 4th car I drove for the day) I was on the gas coming out of a corner as I had been and… nothing. Then with the apex of the turn in my rear view mirror BAM more power and torque than was need and almost drove thru the next turn. The 2nd time I took it out I knew to get on the gas earlier and with a lighter foot, but that wasn’t much fun. Yes I know if I went to manumatic mode I could have keep the engine in the powerband like I do my current IS250 but my own ground rules for this event were to leave it in Drive so I did.

IS350: Such a treat! This was the first time I had ever driven a 350 and it was a joy. First and foremost read my comments on the IS250 above as they equally apply here. The steering and throttle response were superb and the car felt well weighted and was easy to navigate through every turn and sweeper.

Winner IS350
Old 08-20-13, 10:29 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I also wanted to comment that on the other side of the lot they had another course where we could drive Lexus FSport models. LS460-FSport, GS350-FSport and IS250 FSport.

In Brief: I went right to the GS350-FSport as I’m in the hunt for a new car and I really think the GS350 may be it. Drove it 2 times around the really tight course and really liked it. Well balanced good throttle response and as quiet as it is a low RPMs when the resonator kicks in up top it does have a nice sound too it 

Took the LS460-FSport around next and props to Lexus for a job well done Car corners nicely for such a big car yet still has the smooth Lexus ride even on 19s. Took the GS350 FSport around again after the LS and it was really such fun to push hard around the course.

The I got I the IS250-FSport…… … This car is by far the BEST handling car of the three for a rookie/novice driver (that’s me) on a very tight short course like this with lots of turns.

The car felt absolutely SURGICAL in the turns & straights whether braking or accelerating. Just pick the line, point the car and it just goes. I felt like I could thread a needle with that car it has such perfect balance and precision.

Point of this. For Sunday on those tight handling courses I think the IS was not only the best handling car against the German brands, but the best handling car period at the event!!

PS they wouldn’t let me drive the LFA so that was excluded from my evaluation LFA content from the event here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lfa...in-person.html
Old 08-20-13, 11:06 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Original write up seems quite biased to me. Particularly the 335i engine criticism, like it's a bad thing to have more power than advertised? and the turbo lag description was greatly exaggerated. It also appears to imply that the NA engines are faster than the 335i which we all know is about the furthest from the truth you can get.
Old 08-20-13, 11:49 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Evermore
Too bad they didn't review the Audi S4 instead of the A4. I like to see how it ranks though it's 10K more than the IS350.
It would be enough with 2.0T quattro. Same engine as in the test, but with AWD. Then you'd get the S-tronic instead of CVT. That one is a pretty nice drive.
Old 08-20-13, 12:36 PM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was at this event as well. (It was a pleasure to meet you TripleL). I reiterate the sentiment of both the article posted by Natnut and comments by Triple L with regard to the cars. I will add the comment that the LFA is one seriously mean beast...
This was an absolutely great day of driving and it was nice to finally see what my car will look like when it arrives and to drive it ultra aggressively. Delivery day cannot come quick enough.
Old 08-20-13, 01:44 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

RE: the 3IS. I know it can be argued but it helps put the current engines into perspective - "the carryover drivetrains still are among the best available at any price tag."

"Honestly, it isn’t really a bad thing. Until you drive either the Lexus IS350 (any version) or the Mercedes C350. Both have normally aspirated (no turbo) engines. When you punch the gas they go. And they go pretty darn fast. Immediately."

My Genesis had a lag (for other reasons) and it is a really uncomfortable feeling. Like being suspended in mid-air.
Old 08-20-13, 01:59 PM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
RE: the 3IS. I know it can be argued but it helps put the current engines into perspective - "the carryover drivetrains still are among the best available at any price tag."

"Honestly, it isn’t really a bad thing. Until you drive either the Lexus IS350 (any version) or the Mercedes C350. Both have normally aspirated (no turbo) engines. When you punch the gas they go. And they go pretty darn fast. Immediately."

My Genesis had a lag (for other reasons) and it is a really uncomfortable feeling. Like being suspended in mid-air.
I agree that the 2IS/3IS 350 engine is a great power plant and does not feel like it is antiquated.
Old 08-20-13, 03:15 PM
durps
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ramon
it also appears to imply that the NA engines are faster than the 335i which we all know is about the furthest from the truth you can get.
This was on an autocross course...not a drag strip.
Old 08-20-13, 03:43 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

For now, me thinks the Lexus 2.5 and 3.5L V6's are fine, and possibly the best of the atmospheric era, with reasonably good power and economy, especially in the US where gasoline is relatively cheap.

In 5, 10, or 20 years time - that certainly won't be the case.
We are entering a transitional era, where we are experimenting with different types of power trains.

The small capacity turbos are controversial, and not all one way.
The small capacity turbos do not have a flat torque curve, but have a slight time delay, then a peaky curve, from a flat low, to a boomy high, followed by a fall after the peak.
Turbos have their pros and cons.
Small capacity turbos are almost certainly favored in Europe where gasoline is ridiculously taxed.
A turbo-gasoline electric hybrid may be the solution, but then it introduces some excess weight.

The issue is complex, because even if hydrogen stations were installed across America, a detailed back to back comparison of a naturally aspirated gasoline engine versus a hyrodgen powered engine may find the hydrogen car falling well short of conventional performance?
Likewise, even if there was a breakthrough in battery technology such that electric cars could have a range of 400 miles [600 km], a comparison between conventional gasoline versus electric cars, may find the electric car falling well short on performance too?
The issue is certainly complex.

Presently, there simply is no perfect engine; all of the alternatives each have their advantages and disadvantages; they are all good, but in different ways - pick whichever you prefer.
Hopefully Lexus realizes this, and offers us a range of engine options/choices, rather than forcing us to purchase one or two particular engine choices/designs.

The cars are all good, but in different ways too.
If you prioritize: badges, conventional looks, space, straight-line middle to top end acceleration, a floaty ride, and lots of equipment, go for the 335i.
If you prioritize: in your face looks, a flatter torque curve, throwing the car left and right, and durability, go for the 3IS...

Last edited by peteharvey; 08-20-13 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-20-13, 03:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I lost count on the number of journalists (articles) who have praised the IS over the competition. Anyone from the German forums, stand down, it's our turn to gloat!
Old 08-20-13, 06:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I lost count on the number of journalists (articles) who have praised the IS over the competition. Anyone from the German forums, stand down, it's our turn to gloat!
I'll drink to that
Old 08-20-13, 09:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

A4?? Price yes, power no. Com'on prove the IS350 is better, bring on the S4 next time and prove it..
Old 08-21-13, 01:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
A4?? Price yes, power no. Com'on prove the IS350 is better, bring on the S4 next time and prove it..
it was 2.0t vs 2.5l V6, not 350

Quick Reply: 3 German sports sedans the Lexus IS350 can spank on an autocross