IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 04:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Black Pearl Emblem Installation DIY (Front & Rear)

Old 09-08-13, 01:26 PM
mikec78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone has questions about what I did and what Joe Z stated below...I did this on my GS350 and think it came out pretty awesome...but you decide.
** I went with the background being the same color as the car with a black "L" so it has a subtle pop

Enjoy,
--Mike

Name:  photo_zps24347928.jpg
Views: 9444
Size:  145.9 KB

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Per the information posted in the 2013 GS forum...

Joe Z

No More Chrome, all black everything on my GS350 FSport
Old 09-08-13, 01:53 PM
bshaw777
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! How did you get the chrome accents around the grill black? Did you do this around the window as well?
Old 09-08-13, 02:57 PM
isthree50
Rookie

Nice where did you pick the emblems up at? The dealer I bought my car from said they didn't carry them
Old 09-08-13, 07:16 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by isthree50
Nice where did you pick the emblems up at? The dealer I bought my car from said they didn't carry them
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2014/6458.html
Old 09-08-13, 09:38 PM
mikec78
Driver

Originally Posted by isthree50
Read Thread #30 below from Joe...he took a snippet from one post on the exact parts...

Originally Posted by bshaw777
Nice! How did you get the chrome accents around the grill black? Did you do this around the window as well?
You can see what I did to make them black here (but the chrome around the grille I first wrapped, then I actually took it to a paint shop and had them paid the chrome accents (similar to what I did in this other thread), and I also had them paint the grille solid gloss black along with the fog light surrounds:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-fsport-4.html

Enjoy!
Old 09-10-13, 02:32 PM
bshaw777
Driver

Originally Posted by mikec78
You can see what I did to make them black here (but the chrome around the grille I first wrapped, then I actually took it to a paint shop and had them paid the chrome accents (similar to what I did in this other thread), and I also had them paint the grille solid gloss black along with the fog light surrounds:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-fsport-4.html

Enjoy!
I like what you did and considering something similar for the IS. I have a couple of questions.
1. Why did you wrap and also paint the chrome accents? (So they can be removed for resale?)
2. Did you first remove the chrome accent trim surrounding the grill and then have it wrapped/painted? What about the chrome trim surrounding the windows. I'm unfamiliar with the process of wrapping but seems difficult to do on such a small thin area without removing first.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-13, 12:10 AM
mikec78
Driver

Originally Posted by bshaw777
I like what you did and considering something similar for the IS. I have a couple of questions.
1. Why did you wrap and also paint the chrome accents? (So they can be removed for resale?)
2. Did you first remove the chrome accent trim surrounding the grill and then have it wrapped/painted? What about the chrome trim surrounding the windows. I'm unfamiliar with the process of wrapping but seems difficult to do on such a small thin area without removing first.

Thanks!
1) I wrapped the front first...then someone hit my car (so I had to replace the bumper)...so i told the guy to just paint the front grille and everything instead. I just wrapped the other chrome portions just so when I go to sell it in the future someone doesn't come to me and say...I would rather have it chrome...then I can tell them to remove the 3M wrap

2) the front grille was done at the body shop and everything was removed and painted. The chrome around the windows was done on the car. It came out great and was MUCH cheaper than removing the chrome then wrapping it. If money wasn't an object i would have had it removed so that it is SUPER clean, with no "little" cut lines that you can see if standing close to it. All-in-all you can do it either way. If you haven't done it before, I would pay to get it done...(just my $0.02)
Old 09-13-13, 03:49 PM
bshaw777
Driver

Thanks Mike!
Old 09-26-13, 07:30 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Is Sewell the best place to get black pearl front and rear Lexus "L" logo emblems from?

I see a pair can set me back over $200; wondering there's anywhere to source same for less.

Or if anyone has a promo discount code I can use upon check out...

Thanks!

Black stainless steel BMW slim-line frames (that don't say BMW) already on their way!
Old 09-26-13, 11:02 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The front emblem swap does not work if you have adaptive cruise control. It blocks the radar.
Old 09-27-13, 07:01 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Just ordered the front and rear logos!

Does anyone know if you don't order the whole kit, if the individual items still come with the emblem removal tool?

Hope I don't run into difficulty swapping the parts.
Old 10-01-13, 09:53 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Is there any adhesive behind the rear "L" emblem or only the two prong holes? If only the holes; how does it stay on; clips in place?

How about up at the front? Is the "L" emblem screwed on and needs to be undone from behind the grille?

Thanks!
Old 10-02-13, 06:07 AM
bfrd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbs600
Is there any adhesive behind the rear "L" emblem or only the two prong holes? If only the holes; how does it stay on; clips in place?

How about up at the front? Is the "L" emblem screwed on and needs to be undone from behind the grille?

Thanks!
The rear "L" emblem is held on with double-sided tape. There are two posts that line up with holes in the trunk but these are for alignment purposes only. The tape is the only thing that holds the emblem in place.

The front emblem is held on by two posts at the top of the emblem with metal clips. At the bottom of the emblem is a small plastic clip. I am not 100% sure the metal clips can be removed and re-used. It will absolutely need to be removed from behind.
Old 10-02-13, 08:18 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bfrd
The rear "L" emblem is held on with double-sided tape. There are two posts that line up with holes in the trunk but these are for alignment purposes only. The tape is the only thing that holds the emblem in place.

The front emblem is held on by two posts at the top of the emblem with metal clips. At the bottom of the emblem is a small plastic clip. I am not 100% sure the metal clips can be removed and re-used. It will absolutely need to be removed from behind.
Thank you for the info, bfrd. I received the emblems this morning and now see how they attach. I've attached pictures of the front and back of them for those here. Otherwise, can't believe these lightweight things cost over $200, but I'm not happy that both pieces seem to have small hairline scratches / scuffs (not sure if you can see from the pictures); not sure if due to shipping or otherwise, has anyone else who purchased these noticed same??? I plan to contact Sewell…

Otherwise, is everyone sure that there are no issues with the rear emblem coming off on its own in time? I feel that no matter the adhesive used, it's not as good as the factory...
Attached Thumbnails Black Pearl Emblem Installation DIY (Front & Rear)-a.jpg   Black Pearl Emblem Installation DIY (Front & Rear)-b.jpg   Black Pearl Emblem Installation DIY (Front & Rear)-c.jpg   Black Pearl Emblem Installation DIY (Front & Rear)-d.jpg  

Last edited by dbs600; 10-02-13 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-02-13, 10:05 AM
alexlude
Lead Lap

great write up and thread for small mod like this, which makes a little nice custom difference (esp with white F sports)

although not happy to hear about the scratches on the emblems for the price offered.. let me know how sewell handles the issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Black Pearl Emblem Installation DIY (Front & Rear)