IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Excitement turns to sadness: read for those getting their cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-13, 06:14 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks like some freeway debris hit your tire. The dealer would have noticed.

Wondering why you would buy from a dealer 2 hours away and not the local dealer? The local dealer is where you will most likely have it serviced and when you buy from them they are more likely to work with you.
Old 08-18-13, 06:35 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by sarcoptic
Well the PDI list only has one section filled out (the interior) area and that is it. The rest was never marked as I have a copy right here. Also the PDI could of been done before the wheel lock install. I think I would admit fault if I had hit something or better yet have felt it while driving the car. There is not other marks on the wheel or car. Just the 2 gouges an what appears to be something that entered the sidewall and came through the other side. No curb is sharp enough to accomplish that.
After considering the evidence (pics) and your testimony, I don't see how the damage could have occurred while driving. If this was the case, a longer scrape on both the rim and tire would have occurred (from the rotation of the wheel against a sidewalk for instance). As AndyL stated, send them pics and your testimony via email so not only is your cIaim in writing, but it will save you a visit in person. I expect they replace your tire onsite via roadside assistance in the next 24-48 hrs and schedule a full repair of the rim (ie. Wheel Dr). Good luck!
Old 08-18-13, 11:53 PM
EFanucci
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will tell you I inspected my car and found the one rim to be damaged. They replaced it with another rim from another car on the lot. Have to look everything over before you take it.
Old 08-19-13, 02:53 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Using another dealer over the local wasn't my first choice but they had the exact fsport (black/red interior) with ML already on its way. It was a matter of paying a deposit and waiting the 2 weeks. I know most people would of chosen that option rather than ordering and waiting the 2/3 months for the car to come in. I will let you know what happens today. Thanks for listening!
Old 08-27-13, 09:28 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what happened with this? any updates?
Old 08-27-13, 11:48 PM
mahtbeezy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John510
That looks like some freeway debris hit your tire. The dealer would have noticed.

Wondering why you would buy from a dealer 2 hours away and not the local dealer? The local dealer is where you will most likely have it serviced and when you buy from them they are more likely to work with you.
I took a flight to buy my car and drove it home.
Old 08-28-13, 05:27 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

The dealership asked that I contact my insurance company and if they had deemed it not a curb check they would cover it. That wasn't a solution so I ended up having to get corporate involved. After sending corporate better photos of the damage they agreed to reimbursement me for the tire and replace the rim. Definitely won't be dealing with the original dealer again and learned to always buy local even if 2 hours away. When I get the chance I will post the better photos of the damage. You will see there was absolutely no marks on the tire itself.
Old 08-28-13, 11:10 AM
KeyserS
Rookie

The drive home was pretty much all interstate with no chunks of debris. I think if it was that I would of felt it in the car. This was definitely done via the delivery. I was thinking maybe the way it was clamped on the truck or on the rail.
That is probably as good a guess as any as to what caused this. It is difficult to think of any sort of road collision that would have caused something of this sort. Even in a parking lot, someone would have to have driven directly in to the side of the car, and would have to have hit the wheel but nowhere else on the car. A shopping cart would not likely do that, and even if it did, it would not strike with enough force to puncture the tire that way. This damage was mostly likely done in transportation. It goes without saying that you need to contact the dealer immediately and hold them accountable in every way. It probably would not accomplish anything for them to send a flatbed to pick up a truck, but they need to get a wheel expedited to you immediately, and the wheel has to be "back ordered", they need to do that and send you a tire in the meanwhile, and pay for have the new tire mounted on that wheel, while you are waiting for the replacement wheel. Don't let them get away with anything less. These Lexus dealership make tons of money, and taking care of this financially means nothing to them.
Old 08-28-13, 11:13 AM
KeyserS
Rookie

Originally Posted by GeorgeHill
I'm pretty sure you hit something in your way back home! Don't blame the dealer... all they can do is give you a new rim and a tire at their own cost, but you will still paying from your own money. Good luck!
Why are you sure of that? What reason do you have to think this? Sheesh.
Old 08-28-13, 11:18 AM
KeyserS
Rookie

Actually now that I think of it...I bet it didn't happen during delivery but when the dealer installed the wheel locks. My guess was there was a lug nut stuck and they used a little too much force and gave way. These were already installed when we picked up the car. My guess was some low on the pole tech screwed up and didn't say anything...
I think your first theory was more likely correct. Almost certainly correct, in fact. It looks EXACTLY like the sort of damage that would occur if the car was not properly secured in delivery. I would say that it is 99% certain that this is the cause of the damage, and I would even bet that dealerships have seen this same kind of damage before.

I am stunned at the comments that other people are making here, saying that it was caused by road debris or by hitting a curb. I've seen enough of both that I know that it does not resemble either. Curb damage leaves a big scrape on the wheel, not a gouge per se, and only ever leaves a bruise on the tire, not a gouge of this sort. It is OBVIOUS that this is not curb damage. I can't believe that people here would say that, but then again at least half of what people say on Web forums is absolute nonsense.
Old 08-28-13, 11:22 AM
KeyserS
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
After considering the evidence (pics) and your testimony, I don't see how the damage could have occurred while driving. If this was the case, a longer scrape on both the rim and tire would have occurred (from the rotation of the wheel against a sidewalk for instance).
This is exactly what I am certain of as well. I have seen plenty of curb marks on wheels and tires, and they don't look anything at all like this. They leave a big scrape that runs in a circular path on the rim, and they only ever bruise the rubber, nothing like this. This is a big gouge. Nor is there any real likelihood that this was caused by road damage. I would not rule out that it was caused when the locking lug nuts were installed, but I don't think that is very likely either. I think it is virtually certain that this occurred during transport, just as he thought originally.
Old 08-28-13, 11:27 AM
KeyserS
Rookie

The dealership asked that I contact my insurance company and if they had deemed it not a curb check they would cover it. That wasn't a solution so I ended up having to get corporate involved. After sending corporate better photos of the damage they agreed to reimbursement me for the tire and replace the rim. Definitely won't be dealing with the original dealer again and learned to always buy local even if 2 hours away. When I get the chance I will post the better photos of the damage. You will see there was absolutely no marks on the tire itself.
I think that you have already provided ample evidence that it was not caused by any curb scrape or by any road debris. The pictures very strongly suggest damage during transport, and no one should assume that it would have been noticed by either the dealer or by you, prior to your taking delivery. The dealerships peel the protective covering off the car and then do a little bit of basic maintenance and wash it. I doubt very seriously if they spend any appreciable time looking it over.

The dealer you bought from is not a reputable dealer, and you really should share the name of the dealer with others, here on this forum. Really, you should. There isn't any reason not to, and a lot reason why you should.
Old 08-28-13, 11:38 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad Lexus helped you out. Ever since I had a car that had wheel damage and found out the next morning like yourself, I've gone over the wheels with a fine tooth comb. Hard to say how it happened, but with my experience it was the beginning of the end with that auto dealer and Manuf.

Lexus seems to be much better at addressing customer concerns.
Old 08-28-13, 11:54 AM
damtachoa
Pole Position

After viewing your pix, I can confirm that spot is damaged by your dealer's delivery. The reason I'm saying that because there's no scratch from spot. If you hit your rim to the curl, there must be long scratch along rim and tire. And if something hit your rim and tire during driving on insterstate, there's impossible that happen. Call your dealer and replace new rim and tire.
Old 08-28-13, 01:26 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

I've seen plenty of dealer mis-haps....

But this could be a classic case of hitting the metal swing arm for the lift too.... It's a very clean hit..

Joe Z

Quick Reply: Excitement turns to sadness: read for those getting their cars