IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Chrysler lux edition vs lexus IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-13, 12:04 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Chrysler lux edition vs lexus IS 350 (update : Test drive)

RI have paid for an IS350 , but it was delayed in the port for a month . Anyway he said since it is delayed if you want your money back no problem , so I looked for other cars such as the chrysler lux edition and I test drove the car and I was surprised that it was comfortable even with 20" wheels . Anyway I didn't test drive the IS350 because they have short supplies and I should test drive it by next week , so if any one test drove these cars which one is a better daily driver ?

Test drive result : ( chrysler )
Pros:
1- The suspension is good not too stiff or soft .
2- The V8 can speak to you .
3- The seats are comfortable , not as the IS350's seats , but still good .
4- It is loaded with features .
Cons :
1- The backup camera has weird dimensions .
2- I felt that the cabin insulation is not that good , but maybe because I was going 100 mph most of the time .
3- The car looks conservative ( for 40 year olds ) and I'm in my 20s .

(Update : I test drove the lexus ).

Test drive result : ( Lexus IS350 )
pros :
1- The backup camera is better than the Chreysler's camera .
2- The V6 makes a good sound inside the cabin ( interesting ) , do they enhance the exhaust sound ?
3- The quality of the interior is really good , and I think it is better than the chrysler's interior quality .
4- It turns heads lol ,the chrysler looks normal ( probably because it is available since 2011) .
5- I didn't get body roll , and it felt more like driving a coupe .
Cons :
1- I had some road noise ( maybe the Dunlop tires had to do something with it ) .
2- It is stiffer than the chrysler , not harsh but stiffer.
3- The screen is smaller , but the size was good enough to me .
4- The cup holders are placed in a very bad place .

Last edited by AMNss; 08-18-13 at 04:44 AM.
Old 08-16-13, 01:03 AM
Jlesz
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

it's a chrysler, american junk in my opinion. Drive it off the lot it's worth 1/4 of what you paid.

The car's are not even in the same class. How do you go from a Lexus to a chrysler?
Old 08-16-13, 01:12 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

FWIW, the Chrysler 300C is a rebodied previous generation Mercedes E-class from the time that MB used to own Chrysler.

Not sure how that will impact your decision. Just FYI.
Old 08-16-13, 03:01 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jlesz
it's a chrysler, american junk in my opinion. Drive it off the lot it's worth 1/4 of what you paid.

The car's are not even in the same class. How do you go from a Lexus to a chrysler?
Well I didn't care about them being in the same class , since I was looking for a RWD car with some luxury .

Originally Posted by natnut
FWIW, the Chrysler 300C is a rebodied previous generation Mercedes E-class from the time that MB used to own Chrysler.

Not sure how that will impact your decision. Just FYI.
Actually I know , and probably this is why the car was good when I drove it lol .. The problem will come later when fiat put its touch , did you see how ugly the new cherokee ?
Old 08-16-13, 04:36 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Although Chrysler has improved in recent years, it still lags among the worst reliable car brands on the market. Expect A/C and transmission issues as the most common issues within the first 3 years of ownership.

2014 Cherokee - yuck - remotely reminds me of a Pontiac Aztec in the sense that the front-end styling was so bad.
Old 08-16-13, 07:50 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't say the car is crap, I actually liked the 300 C Varvatos lux edition and think they are okay cars. It got some pretty good reviews from car and driver, amazing gas mileage with the 8-speed tranny . The base models don't hold their value very well tho. You can find them all over craigslist with 60-70k miles for like $9-10 grand or less. and im talking like all the way up to 2008-2009 models. It has to say something about the car that you spend 30 grand on will depreciate 20k in like 4 years making it NOT worth it at all. The only Chrysler 300 I would buy is the SRT-8 model because those are the only ones that hold their value and use a completely different drive train then the others to accommodate the horsepower.

I would proceed with that car with caution. Buy Only brand new and under warranty
Old 08-16-13, 08:11 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

The Lexus will hold its value and the Chrysler will not. The Chryslers appear to be a hard sell (thus harder to re-sell used) and the dealers seem to always have tons of them. I have been in one and it was surprisingly nice though.
Old 08-16-13, 08:21 AM
Tone2002
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are just so "old" to me. Like others said, tough resell.
Old 08-16-13, 08:34 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These two cars arent even remotely similar. Now a Cadillac CTS vs. 300 I can understand.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-17-13 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Check pm
Old 08-17-13, 01:56 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

If you already thought about a Lexus, do not even go near a Chrysler or any other American brand. NONE of them can compete against Lexus.

There is a reason why Lexus says they want to beat the BMW and Audi. The quality of American cars are so much worse.

Here in Europe, American cars are not held in high esteem. They do not measure as compared to the premium brands they try to fight with.
Old 08-17-13, 05:03 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by jhs82
If you already thought about a Lexus, do not even go near a Chrysler or any other American brand. NONE of them can compete against Lexus.

There is a reason why Lexus says they want to beat the BMW and Audi. The quality of American cars are so much worse.

Here in Europe, American cars are not held in high esteem. They do not measure as compared to the premium brands they try to fight with.
Even within N. America and against non-luxury brands, Chrysler is not well regarded, though in all fairness, they've improved over the last few years with LOTS of credit to Mercedes with their SLK (aka Crossfire), ML (aka Grand Cherokee), Sprinter cargo van, and much needed small car expertise from Fiat/Alfa Romeo platforms/engines to produce the decent (but pricey) Dodge Dart replacing the dreaded Neon/SX 2.0/Caliber.

If the 300 is chosen for whatever reason, I would not buy it due to poor reliability and resale risks. Lease it for 2-3 years and cut the chord.
Old 08-17-13, 06:18 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Is it really that bad when it comes to reliability ?
My friend has a 2010 charger and he keeps saying that his car is reliable and he didn't face any serious problem. Anyway even my brothers say that this car wont last over 3 years lol .

Last edited by AMNss; 08-17-13 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-17-13, 06:58 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Even within N. America and against non-luxury brands, Chrysler is not well regarded, though in all fairness, they've improved over the last few years with LOTS of credit to Mercedes with their SLK (aka Crossfire), ML (aka Grand Cherokee), Sprinter cargo van, and much needed small car expertise from Fiat/Alfa Romeo platforms/engines to produce the decent (but pricey) Dodge Dart replacing the dreaded Neon/SX 2.0/Caliber.

If the 300 is chosen for whatever reason, I would not buy it due to poor reliability and resale risks. Lease it for 2-3 years and cut the chord.
Sure, they have gotten better. But they are still not in the area I would call "good." Keep in mind that the technology they have received from Mercedes is from the old generations. For example, the 300C was the outgoing E-Class, which Mercedes itself replaced the following year/years. Same with ML and SLK.

Fiat seems to have a different idea, and give Chrysler their current technology instead. Fiat tries to lift Chrysler to premium brand in Europe. I highly doubt that they will succeed.
Old 08-17-13, 07:00 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AMNss
My friend has a 2010 charger and he keeps saying that his car is reliable and he didn't face any serious problem. Anyway even my brothers say that this car wont last over 3 years lol .
I was about to buy a Charger SRT8 a few years ago. It's a really good looking car. But the quality of the interior is horrible.
Old 08-17-13, 11:27 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by AMNss
Nothing is 100% guaranteed reliable since we are dealing with machines and mass-manufacturing. However, the odds are against you with a Chrysler on (major) reliability vs being in your favor with a Lexus/Toyota product.

Quick Reply: Chrysler lux edition vs lexus IS 350