IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Test drove Infiniti Q50 and IS350 awd

Old 08-13-13, 12:07 AM
flippd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Completely agree with this review. Handling and fun wise, IS trumps the Q, and is "light years ahead". Now not everything is about handling and fun, so it depends on what you want in your car. Space would go to the Q. Also the Q has a more upscale look, while the IS has a more sporty look. Q has more tech options (most significantly the intelligent cruise up to 0 mph and lane departure). Personally, I like the IS more, but again, it depends on what people are looking for in their car.
Old 08-18-13, 01:02 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 miles is hardly a good enough time for a test drive and yet I understand everything OP was talking about.

The Q50 is closer to a real midsize sedan whereas the IS350 is definitely on the smaller side. The Q50 is far from a full-size large car but compared to the IS350 and its more "cockpit" interior language, that comparison makes sense.
Old 08-18-13, 03:04 PM
LSG89
Driver School Candidate

Go for the Lexus IS 350 because its better looking and has better appeal to it (brand recognition). Infiniti is a struggling luxury brand. They dont have an image and changed the whole naming scheme. If the Q50 was really that good, why did they wait so long to release it and why are they selling the G37 along with it?
Old 08-18-13, 03:05 PM
LSG89
Driver School Candidate

When people think of Lexus, they think of expensive cars like Mercedes, Audi, BMW. When ppl think of Infiniti they think what the hell is that? or its just a nissan.
Old 08-18-13, 03:11 PM
flippd
Driver

Originally Posted by LSG89
When people think of Lexus, they think of expensive cars like Mercedes, Audi, BMW. When ppl think of Infiniti they think what the hell is that? or its just a nissan.
Some people still say that about the Lexus - spruced up Toyota (with the ES mostly though). Not that it should matter... I like Lexus.
Old 08-18-13, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by LSG89
If the only thing you care about is what others think about the car you purchase, you should get a BMW or Mercedes.
Old 08-19-13, 01:01 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS
If the only thing you care about is what others think about the car you purchase, you should get a BMW or Mercedes.
Name:  4DWMk.gif
Views: 23
Size:  1.85 MB
Old 08-19-13, 03:46 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Agreed. Lexus is still a conscious choice. Far from everyone knows what the brand really adds. BMW and Audi have a stronger brand, but I think that Lexus stands over them, mainly because of the hybrid technology. They have the world's best hybrids.

But since you are in the U.S. do not have access to the IS 300h, there are probably other local values ​​at play.
Old 08-19-13, 08:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh I definitely prefer the Lexus, but if prestige is your main focus, the BMW and Benz will give you more.
Old 08-19-13, 08:56 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
It's hard to take a comparison review seriously when the phrase "light years ahead" is used more than once comparing 2 cars from the same class.
Well I've driven them both for a few hundred miles now and he is right. In regards to the drive, they are light years apart and its not that the Q50 is bad but the IS F sport is that good. As soon as you open the doors the difference in the purpose of the cars is apparent in the design of the interior and as soon as you sit in the IS F-sport seat as opposed to on the Q50 S seat is obvious things have changed.

Where the Q50 S is quiet, the IS F-sport is now engaging. Where the Q50 S feels more 1990s Lexus like, the IS F-sport feels like it was related to the LFA. The Q50 S is more relaxed and familiar, the interior shows this, they have to please the masses, its very pleasing to the eye and normal. The IS F-sport doesn't have to please as many people, just a core group who wants something truly different. One thing about the Q50 S is the higher redline, I think 7200 or 7300 which is more fun than the 6500 or so redline of the IS.

As soon as you sit down and touch the steering wheel and turn on both cars, its obvious the IS F-sport has an edge and character about itself. The Q50 S is still quite good but more relaxed, for the masses.

I know this is a tough pill to swallow for many Nissan/Inifniti fans but things have changed. If you want the sportiest Asian car in this class, you get the IS. If you want arguably the sportiest car in CLASS, you get the IS, or gasp a Caddy ATS.

The world is going crazy

The IS and GS are really a ****load of fun to drive and its amazing to think yes, they are from Lexus.
Old 08-19-13, 09:51 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I know this is a tough pill to swallow for many Nissan/Inifniti fans but things have changed. If you want the sportiest Asian car in this class, you get the IS. If you want arguably the sportiest car in CLASS, you get the IS, or gasp a Caddy ATS.

The world is going crazy
You found a Caddy that doesn't roll over when you try to take a tight corner?!
Old 08-20-13, 05:32 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by glennp2014
The car felt heavy and body roll was, well enough for me to back off the throttle as with the IS it was begging for more I had to lift cus the road ran out. I test drove both cars on the same road cus the both dealer are just across from each other. So IDK you can have your own opinion on the new Q if you feel like buying the Q go for it. I for one will not back off from my review on the IS. To me it felt like Lexus did a better job than Infiniti in putting out a new model car.
In line with Edmunds review of the new Q (non-S). They were not thrilled.

Old 08-20-13, 06:33 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^

When do you get your car?
Old 08-20-13, 07:25 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
^^^

When do you get your car?
Not yet. In 2 days!
Old 08-20-13, 08:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Another thing I don't like about Infinitis is now that they have the new "Q" naming system they put the engine liters on the fender, which IMHO is tacky on a luxury car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Test drove Infiniti Q50 and IS350 awd