Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clear bra the bumper.

I have one too on my bumper.
Old 08-09-13, 11:57 AM
Alius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had three small ones before I clear bra'ed the whole nose.
Old 08-09-13, 01:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Definitely do the clear bra. Its an absolute must on these cars.

AND, bite the bullet and do the whole hood and the whole fenders. I have a couple chips/scuffs higher up on the hood above the clear bra too. If I had it to do over again I would do the whole thing.
Old 08-09-13, 01:12 PM
yycdave
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so wary of clear bras...I can always tell when a car has them and in most cases I'd prefer the odd touched up chip. I can always see the line. And it seems the paint fades differently...
Old 08-09-13, 01:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats another reason to do the whole hood...no line.

No issue with paint fading.

Issue is it isn't just the "odd touched up chip" on these cars, the front ends get absolutely decimated with chips, big chips, little chips, sandblasting. I resisted the clearbra for years but finally did it on my 4GS and I will always do it from now on. Almost 12k miles and the car looks great, when compared to the number of small chips I was getting before I had the bra put on at 1,200 miles...without the bra the front end would look like hell. You can see the line, but its not ugly and doesn't look out of place.
Old 08-09-13, 01:27 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
Only 250 miles with the car, and I've got 2 paint chips

Any recommendations?
Sorry... =/
  1. touch up paint (can tell when up close)
  2. repaint entire bumper
  3. paint bumper and apply the clear bra
  4. live with and accept that its a part of driving without a clear bra on

I personally go with option 4 with every vehicle and if it really gets to me then I repaint. good luck.
Old 08-09-13, 01:38 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only 250 miles with the car, and I've got 2 paint chips

Any recommendations?
You fix it with touch up paint. It pretty easy to do. If you do it right, you don't notice it unless you look at it very close. I don't like to shield the whole front of the car. It reminds me some old people cover their remote controls in plastic back in the days.

Just try to not drive to close to the car in front of you. I found that I almost only get stones from FWD cars (other than trucks and busses). Every time a FWD cars front wheel (driving wheels) turns, they will spit out the small stone that have been stuck in the threads. I can tailgate a RWD car whole journey and not get single stone.
Old 08-09-13, 01:47 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for your responses. I thought about clear bra, but some people here would agree with me that it looks too obvious. Are the touch up paints even available at the dealerships now?
Old 08-09-13, 01:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
I don't like to shield the whole front of the car. It reminds me some old people cover their remote controls in plastic back in the days.
But the clear bra is invisible. Your analogy would work for a vinyl bra, but the only downside to the clear bra is cost.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I thought about clear bra, but some people here would agree with me that it looks too obvious. Are the touch up paints even available at the dealerships now?
Again...get the whole hood done and its invisible.
Old 08-09-13, 02:24 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
But the clear bra is invisible. Your analogy would work for a vinyl bra, but the only downside to the clear bra is cost.

Again...get the whole hood done and its invisible.
Clear bra is not invisible. It's see through/transparent/CLEAR/lucid and somewhat undetectable but it is not invisible. You can always tell where it ends and once you find that break its like the whole thing just sticks out at you. Its like saran wrap on a remote control (like the other guy said - which made me laugh...lol.), its like plastic covers on the couch at your moms house, its like.....like...a clear bra on a car. lol...

I would be more ok with the wrap if they went past the edge of the part and finished the wrap behind the part where no one can see. It just always looks like a clear sticker to me. I cant stand it. I'd personally rather deal with the chips than the sticker. My opinions are purely aesthetic driven.
Old 08-09-13, 02:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by thejaperu
Clear bra is not invisible. It's see through/transparent/CLEAR/lucid and somewhat undetectable but it is not invisible. You can always tell where it ends and once you find that break its like the whole thing just sticks out at you. Its like saran wrap on a remote control (like the other guy said - which made me laugh...lol.), its like plastic covers on the couch at your moms house, its like.....like...a clear bra on a car. lol...

I would be more ok with the wrap if they went past the edge of the part and finished the wrap behind the part where no one can see. It just always looks like a clear sticker to me. I cant stand it. I'd personally rather deal with the chips than the sticker. My opinions are purely aesthetic driven.
You haven't seen a quality installation then. A custom, quality installation doesn't show any seams or edges, everything is wrapped around the edge of the panel, emblems are removed and placed back on top of the film. Trim is removed and the edge of the film is tucked underneath the trim. You can do the whole hood and fenders. A car that is done in this way is 100% invisible, you cannot tell its got a clear bra. You can clear bra the whole car this way if you like.

An install like that will run you $1200-1500 to the whole front end, mirrors, lights, etc.

Most installs are just template installs...if seeing some seams bothers you you want a custom install.

Like I said, I felt the same way for a long time but now that I have it done to my car I will never have a car without it. Only thing is I will do the whole hood and fenders next time, mine only goes 1/3rd the way up the hood. Line doesn't bug me, but the upper parts of the hood are more vulnerable than I thought.
Old 08-09-13, 02:44 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Definitely do a clear bra. It's hardly noticeable just standing in front of the car, people can't see mine unless I point them the seams. It's worth it more so than doing windows tinting.
Old 08-09-13, 02:50 PM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Custom clear bra job at my last place of employment...show me a seam
Old 08-09-13, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There ya go

Quick Reply: Paint Chip