IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How to properly paddle shift.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-13, 01:48 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by driven5373
You go into Sport mode by turning the dial, and into manual mode with the shifter on the console. Two different controls. I don't see why you wouldn't able to be both in sport mode and paddle shifting - but I don't own the car yet so I may be off base.
ok...here are all of the combinations you can operate the 3IS 350 F-sport.
  1. eco mode in Auto
  2. normal mode in Auto
  3. Sport mode in Auto
  4. Sport + mode in Auto
  5. eco mode in Manual
  6. normal mode in Manual
  7. Sport mode in Manual
  8. Sport+ mode in Manual
Old 08-07-13, 02:26 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thejaperu
The AVS is activated by the S+ mode NOT the manual shifting mode.

S mode - controls the engine and transmission
S+ mode - controls the steering and suspension

D driving mode - car shifts into gears for you
M driving mode - you shift into gears manually (with some caveats)

That is as clear as I can make it.
Thanks for your explanation, thejaperu.

What I actually wanted to ask is when you are in M mode and put your dial to Sport+, does the transmission shifts in the same aggressiveness as when you are in the auto mode?

Reason why I ask this question is that for 2IS, the Sport mode has no effect on the transmission pattern when the car is in manual mode (it was called S mode and I don't want to confuse you) . This was my experience as well as being written in the Lexus "New Car Feature" manual which the technicians have in the dealership.

In order to fully enjoy a more liberal throttle with Sport mode in 2IS, I need to stay in D mode which I normally don't.

For all the years of driving the 2IS, I have been staying in manual mode and so I guess in 3IS, Lexus has improved the mechanism which makes the Sport/Sport S/Sport S+ mode more flexible.

Another thing I found out from my recent test drive in a IS350 RWD F Sport --- when turning off the traction control completely, the car throttle is more open and when the car is put in Sport S+ mode,the road feel is much prominent than with the traction control on. The car feels faster even when in normal mode. The saleman sat besides me said he could feel it, too.

I think the best handling and performance with the IS350 F Sport RWD is when the traction control is completely off (ie, by holding the button till you see the "traction control" sign staying on.)
Old 08-07-13, 02:38 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Reason why I ask this question is that for 2IS, the Sport mode has no effect on the transmission
Sport mode does make a difference to paddle shifts on my 2IS.
Old 08-07-13, 03:22 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Thanks for your explanation, thejaperu.

What I actually wanted to ask is when you are in M mode and put your dial to Sport+, does the transmission shifts in the same aggressiveness as when you are in the auto mode?

Reason why I ask this question is that for 2IS, the Sport mode has no effect on the transmission pattern when the car is in manual mode (it was called S mode and I don't want to confuse you) . This was my experience as well as being written in the Lexus "New Car Feature" manual which the technicians have in the dealership.

In order to fully enjoy a more liberal throttle with Sport mode in 2IS, I need to stay in D mode which I normally don't.

For all the years of driving the 2IS, I have been staying in manual mode and so I guess in 3IS, Lexus has improved the mechanism which makes the Sport/Sport S/Sport S+ mode more flexible.

Another thing I found out from my recent test drive in a IS350 RWD F Sport --- when turning off the traction control completely, the car throttle is more open and when the car is put in Sport S+ mode,the road feel is much prominent than with the traction control on. The car feels faster even when in normal mode. The saleman sat besides me said he could feel it, too.

I think the best handling and performance with the IS350 F Sport RWD is when the traction control is completely off (ie, by holding the button till you see the "traction control" sign staying on.)
I guess to answer your question - yes because you are in S mode which has nothing to do with it being in Manual vs Auto mode. the gear rev range will be set at a more aggressive state in S/S+ mode in Auto mode. The allowed RPM range per gear is increased. The higher the car (auto) lets the gear rev, the more ponies come out to play, therefore the faster you accelerate. The WHEN it shift gears has nothing to do with HOW it shifts gears. This 8-speed is shifting gears at a rate of 0.10secs regardless at what RPM it shifts at. I'm not sure you are getting that part. These are two separate things.

Maybe you are asking if the gears shift at the same RPM level manual vs auto in S/S+ mode? The answer is - depends on you. You can shift the gears whenever you want in manual mode. You can mimic the automatic response or you can follow your own response. Just to reiterate...HOW it goes from one gear to the other has nothing to do with WHEN it goes from one gear to the other.

And just so you're clear on the driving condition modes cause you throw around S+ mode around, engine and transmission wise, there is no difference between S and S+ mode. Handling, there is a difference between S and S+ mode.

so just to be clear...
  • this glorious g-box shifts in 0.10secs regardless or what RPM it shifts at
  • S mode assists the acceleration response
  • S+ mode improves steering performance and stability
  • WHEN it shifts depends whether you let it shift at the preset stages(auto) or when you want it to(manual)

at a full stop you can quickly press the TRAC OFF button to turn the traction control off and if you press and hold it for three seconds you will ALSO turn off the stability control. The launch is much better because there is no regulation into how much power to distribute to your wheels. There are less factors involved delivering the power and if you have great conditions (dry road, ran the tires for a bit so they're warmer and stickier) then you are going to get a better launch than having those controls on. and I'll stop here to keep myself from preaching about keeping these active on a $49,000 car. But on the off chance that you are a closet Ken Block or Ken Gushi then have at it.
Old 08-07-13, 04:27 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Sport mode does make a difference to paddle shifts on my 2IS.
It seems that you have the IS of the same year as I do, ie. 2006. The sport mode is related to the AI-SHIFT and according to page 95 of our driver's owner manual (North American version), the AI-SHIFT is not effective in anything other than "D" position. In order to use the paddle shift in 06' IS, you have to put the car in "S" position.

So I am afraid it is just a placebo effect.

Additional info is found on CH-42 of the New Car Features 2006 IS manual as below.
Attached Thumbnails How to properly paddle shift.-img_3137.jpg  
Old 08-07-13, 04:32 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

I guess to answer your question - yes because you are in S mode which has nothing to do with it being in Manual vs Auto mode. the gear rev range will be set at a more aggressive state in S/S+ mode in Auto mode. The allowed RPM range per gear is increased. The higher the car (auto) lets the gear rev, the more ponies come out to play, therefore the faster you accelerate. The WHEN it shift gears has nothing to do with HOW it shifts gears. This 8-speed is shifting gears at a rate of 0.10secs regardless at what RPM it shifts at. I'm not sure you are getting that part. These are two separate things.

Maybe you are asking if the gears shift at the same RPM level manual vs auto in S/S+ mode? The answer is - depends on you. You can shift the gears whenever you want in manual mode. You can mimic the automatic response or you can follow your own response. Just to reiterate...HOW it goes from one gear to the other has nothing to do with WHEN it goes from one gear to the other.

And just so you're clear on the driving condition modes cause you throw around S+ mode around, engine and transmission wise, there is no difference between S and S+ mode. Handling, there is a difference between S and S+ mode.

so just to be clear...
  • this glorious g-box shifts in 0.10secs regardless or what RPM it shifts at
  • S mode assists the acceleration response
  • S+ mode improves steering performance and stability
  • WHEN it shifts depends whether you let it shift at the preset stages(auto) or when you want it to(manual)

at a full stop you can quickly press the TRAC OFF button to turn the traction control off and if you press and hold it for three seconds you will ALSO turn off the stability control. The launch is much better because there is no regulation into how much power to distribute to your wheels. There are less factors involved delivering the power and if you have great conditions (dry road, ran the tires for a bit so they're warmer and stickier) then you are going to get a better launch than having those controls on. and I'll stop here to keep myself from preaching about keeping these active on a $49,000 car. But on the off chance that you are a closet Ken Block or Ken Gushi then have at it.
Thanks thejaperu for the more detailed explanation. It is helpful.
Old 08-07-13, 04:39 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

It seems that you have the IS of the same year as I do, ie. 2006. The sport mode is related to the AI-SHIFT and according to page 95 of our driver's owner manual (North American version), the AI-SHIFT is not effective in anything other than "D" position. In order to use the paddle shift in 06' IS, you have to put the car in "S" position.

Additional info is found on CH-42 of the New Car Features 2006 IS manual as below.

Good luck dude...
Old 08-07-13, 06:08 PM
driven5373
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and I'll stop here to keep myself from preaching about keeping these active on a $49,000 car. But on the off chance that you are a closet Ken Block or Ken Gushi then have at it.
Traction control is a good thing:

Old 08-07-13, 06:16 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Traction control is a good thing:

Lamborghini Crashes in Chicago Suburbs - YouTube
hahaha...i love this video.
Old 08-08-13, 09:19 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Sorry, I'm not talking about S (manual) mode. I'm referring to Power mode. All shifts seem faster in Power mode, regardless of Manual or Auto modes.
Old 08-08-13, 12:06 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You're probably better off asking the IS-F guys since they have the most experience with that tranny.
Old 08-08-13, 07:43 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Sorry, I'm not talking about S (manual) mode. I'm referring to Power mode. All shifts seem faster in Power mode, regardless of Manual or Auto modes.
TimbolIS, thanks for your explanation. Actually I understood what you referred to. And you are right, in 2IS, the Power Mode does have some effect even when the car is in manual mode. I tried it again today and I did feel the difference in the throttle. When the 2IS is in manual mode and in Power mode, the throttle does open a bit. The difference is not very obvious until you cancel the Power mode while the car is in manual mode. It is embarrassing to discover this after so many years of driving the 2IS. The Power mode works better in auto mode as it also affects the shift points in transmission (that is when the AI-Shift comes into play).
Old 08-12-13, 01:49 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

so just to be clear...
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Lots of great info presented here. Just as a FYI, I noticed on my.is that the 8-speed transmission in the IS350 F-Sport (AA81 model) has a different shift response than that in the IS-F version (AA80):

As with AA80, the newer AA81 features a torque converter with lockup clutch for all gears except first, and highly responsive 0.3-second upshifts and 0.2-second blipping downshifts.
Source: http://my.is/forums/f41/3rd-gen-lexu...trains-459322/
Old 08-12-13, 02:51 PM
G8rGirl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anyone who uses the paddles to shift most of the time?

I mostly paddle shift in my current car (with dual clutch) and switch to auto during heavy traffic or for hard launches from a stop.

I wish the IS350 F had stick shift. If it did, I probably would already own one.
What do you have now? VW?