IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS License Bracket From GrimmSpeed

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-13, 03:59 PM
markb3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided to go with the tow hook method. IMO it might not be the prettiest but I feel it's better than ruining the grill. On my first car I've ever had, I took of the front plates and put it on the dash. Had it for about over a year no issues. One time a cop was driving past me the opposite way, did a u turn and pulled me over. I didn't get a ticket but he warned me and said that having the plate like that will cut my head off in the event of an accident, and it's extremely dangerous. I apologized and said my front bracket broke and I'll fix it ASAP. I ended up putting it back on. At least this is how it is here in Ontario. $110 ticket for not having front plates. So for me tow hook method is the only way
Old 09-15-13, 05:07 PM
PhoenixOne
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Want to give you a heads up. NYS requires that a plate bracket/holder can not cover any part of the words "New York" and "Empire State". Depending on where you live, that can get you a ticket. In NYC, DOT officers will swarm your car with tickets. Don't know about upstate.
Old 09-15-13, 06:40 PM
albino1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I live in CA, and for a few years I lived in TX between stints here, and I haven't had a front license plate in at least 10 years. I've never received a ticket for not having one, and not once when I've been pulled over have they even mentioned it. Am I just lucky? Or is it a big deal in other states? I mean, (obviously) these cars don't even have a place to put a front license plate, so clearly it's not that much of an issue or there'd be luxury cars all over the sides of the roads getting Fix-It Tickets
Old 06-06-14, 03:21 PM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

what about using a retractable plate frame, like I have seen on Maserati and corvettes?
Old 06-07-14, 09:36 PM
USB350F
Driver School Candidate

I just pulled the trigger on this.. Been running plateless so far but don't feel like pushing my luck or thinking 3x every time I see a cop. Wish we didn't need the stupid (and pointless?) plate in Ontario
Old 06-21-14, 11:33 PM
japjunkie
Driver School Candidate

I need me one of these soon! Damn LA parking fairies keep giving me no front plate fix it tickets!
Old 06-22-14, 05:57 AM
nayuta
Driver

I see a lot of stock 3IS running these plates around me.
Old 06-22-14, 09:08 AM
LexusFsprt
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use mine only when I'm home in NYC. I'm currently located in Upstate, NY so I take it off, haven't been questioned once.
Old 06-22-14, 03:25 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I got my car in December I had the plate in the middle of the grill and I hated it. Ruined the look in my opinion. Then I grabbed the Grimmspeed relocation kit and put it on. It was better but still not right. I ended up taking the plate completely off and it was the best decision I could've made. The car looks amazing with the spindle grill completely exposed. I haven't gotten stopped *knock on wood* and I have driven into the city multiple times where they will ticket you for anything and everything.

Every 3IS should run no front plate!
Old 06-22-14, 03:59 PM
bjjallday
Driver School Candidate

pictures look good. i have the same one. the hardest part was fearing that i would scratch the paint while pulling the tow hook cover
Old 06-22-14, 04:12 PM
nayuta
Driver

^ the tow hook cover is insanely hard to get off
Old 06-22-14, 10:11 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rice..................
Old 06-25-14, 09:20 AM
cdo221
Driver School Candidate

For those of you who have this, can you adjust the Grimmspeed plate holder so that it's more straight? So basically more flat - perfectly perpendicular to the way the car is facing, if that makes any sense.

It looks like most people have installed this with it slanted following the the bumper as it slides back. Any idea if it can go flat (so same degree of 'slanting' as if you had mounted it to the middle of the bumper)?
Old 06-25-14, 10:43 AM
XpediencY
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cdo221
For those of you who have this, can you adjust the Grimmspeed plate holder so that it's more straight? So basically more flat - perfectly perpendicular to the way the car is facing, if that makes any sense.

It looks like most people have installed this with it slanted following the the bumper as it slides back. Any idea if it can go flat (so same degree of 'slanting' as if you had mounted it to the middle of the bumper)?
It's possible... There's like a "U" Attachment you can slide around, but you may need some spacers to push it out further so it doesn't hit your bumper if you want it perpendicular... I personally like it slanted back slightly

Check it out here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6JCsPwL1zs#t=149
Old 06-25-14, 11:40 AM
cdo221
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XpediencY
It's possible... There's like a "U" Attachment you can slide around, but you may need some spacers to push it out further so it doesn't hit your bumper if you want it perpendicular... I personally like it slanted back slightly

Check it out here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6JCsPwL1zs#t=149
Ah I see, thanks for response! The slant looks good, but I just wanted to get an idea of how adjustable the kit is before ordering. The video definitely clears that up!

Quick Reply: 2014 IS License Bracket From GrimmSpeed