Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

How often are you in S/S+ mode?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-13, 06:07 PM   #31
doctorttt
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ny
Posts: 405
Default

I only switch to S+ mode when I go on a highway with no traffic; otherwise, eco most of the time. I just love the fast throttle response and the high-rpm engine noise in S+ mode.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
__________________
2014 IS350 F-Sport AWD, Obsidian/Rioja Red, Navigation, Suntek Clear Bra, and Tinting (From Dealer)

GONE - 2006 IS350. Matador Red Mica. Black Interior. Sports. Nav. with Venture Guard clear bra. PIAA Ion Yellow fog bulbs
doctorttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-13, 06:14 PM   #32
jdot85
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BC
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin105 View Post
I love the S+ mode and I totally ignored S mode because there is no reason to have it on S mode if you have S+. I would love to drive the car in S+ mode 24/7, but the feeling of having to turn the drive mode select every time I turn on the car stops me from putting it on S+ mode all the time. Although 100% of the times I drive with S+ on freeways. I just love how responsive the car is. There is no point of trying to save gas on a car like this nonetheless putting it on Eco mode. Also somehow on S+ mode I don't seem to be able to rev as high as on my previous IS250 in S mode. The average rev I normally sees it at around 3-4k. I think I went from 0-60 in 5.5 seconds in S+. Not faster than the 335i nor the M3, but I have the temptation of racing one on the freeway LOL
I like your style of driving!

I can't wait to get my IS350 RWD F-Sport.
jdot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-13, 08:34 AM   #33
Stitch626
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)
 
Stitch626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 777
www.facebook.com/p8ntballer26 P8ntballer26 PlayboySurfer69 Expirement626 P8ntballer26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin105 View Post
I love the S+ mode and I totally ignored S mode because there is no reason to have it on S mode if you have S+. I would love to drive the car in S+ mode 24/7, but the feeling of having to turn the drive mode select every time I turn on the car stops me from putting it on S+ mode all the time. Although 100% of the times I drive with S+ on freeways. I just love how responsive the car is. There is no point of trying to save gas on a car like this nonetheless putting it on Eco mode. Also somehow on S+ mode I don't seem to be able to rev as high as on my previous IS250 in S mode. The average rev I normally sees it at around 3-4k. I think I went from 0-60 in 5.5 seconds in S+. Not faster than the 335i nor the M3, but I have the temptation of racing one on the freeway LOL
Dunno why your getting 3-4k average rev I'll have to check on mine when I leave the shop now but I been getting higher o.O?
__________________
2014 IS350 F Sport | Vossen VFS2 | RS*R Down Springs | Skipper Japan Full Aero Kit | ARK Performance Grip Exhaust
| GReddy Intake | CF Engine Covers
Stitch626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-13, 09:59 AM   #34
JGard18
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 241
Default

I'll never use S mode, mainly because there are no real benefits to it, in my opinion. Sure, the shifting is "better", but once I want to go into a "fun" driving style, I'm going to shift myself with the flappypaddles.

So when I commute, I leave it in normal or sometimes eco mode, since it's mostly stop and go traffic. When driving around doing errands with the wife, normal mode.

When I'm driving to/from hockey at night on more empty roads, once or twice a week, I'll put in in S+, but I shift myself. I don't really need it hanging out at 3k RPMs while cruising on the highway.
JGard18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-13, 07:54 AM   #35
carderoni
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 238
Default

There seems to be some confusion in this thread about what modes and options are available on what models. The correct information has been posted by others in this thread, so I thought I'd consolidate it into one post. Pretty sure this is all correct, based on what I've read and experienced on my own.

Models
  • IS 350 F-Sport RWD
    • Optional VGRS - Variable Gear Ratio Steering with power tilt & telescoping steering wheel
    • Adaptive Variable Suspension
    • Modes: Eco, Normal, Sport, Sport+
  • IS 350 F-Sport AWD
    • Adaptive Variable Suspension
    • Modes: Eco, Normal, Sport, Sport+
  • IS 250 F-Sport RWD
    • Modes: Eco, Normal, Sport
  • IS 250 F-Sport AWD
    • Modes: Eco, Normal, Sport


Drive Modes:
  • Eco
    • Engine
      • Reduces overall output
      • Reduces throttle sensitivity
      • Reduces output of AC system
    • Steering
      • Unaffected
    • Suspension
      • Unaffected
    • Transmission
      • Shifts earlier than normal. Allows automatic shifting into 8th gear on IS 350 F-Sport RWD vehicles.
  • Normal
    • Engine
      • Unaffected
    • Steering
      • Unaffected
    • Suspension
      • Unaffected
    • Transmission
      • Shift points unaffected
      • Will not shift into 8th gear automatically on IS 350 F-Sport RWD models
  • Sport
    • Engine
      • Increases throttle sensitivity
    • Steering
      • Tightens steering ratio
    • Suspension
      • Unaffected
    • Transmission
      • Holds gears longer in automatic mode
      • Shifts occur faster in automatic or manual modes
      • Will not shift into 8th gear automatically on IS 350 F-Sport RWD models
  • Sport+
    • Engine
      • Increases throttle sensitivity
    • Steering
      • Tightens steering ratio further than Sport mode
    • Suspension
      • Stiffens to significantly reduce body roll
    • Transmission
      • Holds gears longer in automatic mode
      • Locks torque converter on downshifts in automatic or manual modes
      • Shifts occur faster in automatic or manual modes
      • Will not shift into 8th gear automatically on IS 350 F-Sport RWD models
carderoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-13, 11:07 PM   #36
yardie876
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
yardie876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoFlo
Posts: 1,843
yardie7326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carderoni View Post
[*]Locks torque converter on downshifts in automatic or manual modes
Interesting. What would be the advantage of this?
__________________
2013 GS F-Sport w/ DRS ~ HUD ~ ML ~ Viper SmartStart ~ LED Fogs
Liquid Platinum ~ Flaxen
Vossen CV7s
Joe Z Cat Back Exhaust
yardie876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 05:43 AM   #37
carderoni
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardie876 View Post
Interesting. What would be the advantage of this?
Torque converters connect the engine to the transmission and allow them to operate at different speeds as needed. You can think of it as a coupling with two sides - one for the engine and one for the transmission - that spin independently of eachother.

When both halves are spinning at different speeds your engine and transmission are also moving at different speeds. Let's say you've come to a stop - the engine is still spinning and its half of the torque converter is spinning at whatever speed the engine is, but the other half of the torque converter is spinning at a much lower speed and therefore not transferring all of the engine's power to the transmission. So if your engine is producing 80lb/ft of torque at 800RPM, the torque converter may only be transferring 15lb/ft of torque to the transmission, which is why you can just hold the brake pedal and remain stopped.

When both halves are spinning at the same speed it essentially acts as a solid coupling from the engine to the transmission, resulting in the maximum amount of power being transferred from the engine to the transmission. This is beneficial when you want to get moving quickly. So, downshifting into a locked torque converter is good when you're going around the twisties since you have more power available to you immediately.

I hope that was more or less clear, I'm not always the best at explaining things.
carderoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 07:33 AM   #38
yardie876
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
yardie876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoFlo
Posts: 1,843
yardie7326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carderoni View Post
Torque converters connect the engine to the transmission and allow them to operate at different speeds as needed. You can think of it as a coupling with two sides - one for the engine and one for the transmission - that spin independently of eachother. When both halves are spinning at different speeds your engine and transmission are also moving at different speeds. Let's say you've come to a stop - the engine is still spinning and its half of the torque converter is spinning at whatever speed the engine is, but the other half of the torque converter is spinning at a much lower speed and therefore not transferring all of the engine's power to the transmission. So if your engine is producing 80lb/ft of torque at 800RPM, the torque converter may only be transferring 15lb/ft of torque to the transmission, which is why you can just hold the brake pedal and remain stopped. When both halves are spinning at the same speed it essentially acts as a solid coupling from the engine to the transmission, resulting in the maximum amount of power being transferred from the engine to the transmission. This is beneficial when you want to get moving quickly. So, downshifting into a locked torque converter is good when you're going around the twisties since you have more power available to you immediately. I hope that was more or less clear, I'm not always the best at explaining things.
Ahh, got it! All about that instant power.
__________________
2013 GS F-Sport w/ DRS ~ HUD ~ ML ~ Viper SmartStart ~ LED Fogs
Liquid Platinum ~ Flaxen
Vossen CV7s
Joe Z Cat Back Exhaust
yardie876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 08:17 AM   #39
azmojo
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 154
Default

Maybe a more interesting question is, does anyone drive around in Normal mode? Since the car defaults to Eco, you have to intentionally want normal mode and not want S or S+. Seems like they just wanted to have an extra mode.
azmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 08:18 AM   #40
carderoni
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 238
Default

My car does not default to ECO, it defaults to normal. If I put it in ECO mode, it will remember that and default to ECO the next time I start the car. It doesn't do this for Sport or Sport+, though. Would it be possible for the dealership to program it to remember that?
carderoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 09:26 AM   #41
JGard18
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmojo View Post
Maybe a more interesting question is, does anyone drive around in Normal mode? Since the car defaults to Eco, you have to intentionally want normal mode and not want S or S+. Seems like they just wanted to have an extra mode.
Car only defaults to Eco if it was in Eco when you shut it off. I mostly drive around in normal mode.
JGard18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 09:42 AM   #42
yardie876
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
yardie876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoFlo
Posts: 1,843
yardie7326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carderoni View Post
My car does not default to ECO, it defaults to normal. If I put it in ECO mode, it will remember that and default to ECO the next time I start the car. It doesn't do this for Sport or Sport+, though. Would it be possible for the dealership to program it to remember that?
Ive been told no due to EPA standards and mpg. Foolishness if you ask me.
__________________
2013 GS F-Sport w/ DRS ~ HUD ~ ML ~ Viper SmartStart ~ LED Fogs
Liquid Platinum ~ Flaxen
Vossen CV7s
Joe Z Cat Back Exhaust
yardie876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 10:08 AM   #43
carderoni
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardie876 View Post
Ive been told no due to EPA standards and mpg. Foolishness if you ask me.
Damn, that's disappointing, but a couple flicks of the wrist fixes that
carderoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 10:16 AM   #44
fastdak25
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: MD
Posts: 206
Default

I drive in ECO mode most of the time. When I drive nice I can average 19-21 MPG on a tank (IS350 f-sport AWD). Sometimes i'll drive a whole tank on sport + just to have some fun (usually around weekends). MPG there has varied between 15 up to 19 MPGs depending how hard and how many times I get on the gas. I do love the feel of Sport+ though, that quick snap reaction on the pedal.
fastdak25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 10:16 AM   #45
amoney805
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: ca
Posts: 307
Default

I'd imagine there could be potential lawsuits if someone forgot they left it in s+ and drove it through a building with that sensitive throttle response.
amoney805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 10:16 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2014, 300h, 350, fsport, lexus, mode, s, setting, sport

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8-speed manual mode dizlex IS - Third Generation 54 08-05-14 09:53 AM
my IS250 FSPORT has Sport+ mode DJ90 IS - Third Generation 5 04-22-14 08:11 AM
"S" Mode and Paddle Shifters hriewe IS - Second Generation 19 05-17-13 05:54 PM
TV/Navi kit - unlimited timeout instructions passnu2 GS - Third Generation 14 07-30-09 07:16 AM
Remote entry on 2001 IS300 amdmonster Maintenance 0 08-07-03 06:34 AM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:57 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info