IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Standard Audio System?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-13, 10:02 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Standard Audio System?

Hey guys, for those of you who didn't get the ML package, how do you like the stock sound system?

Also how many speakers does it come with, and does it have a factory subwoofer? Wattage?

I tried looking online, but couldn't find that info. I only found info for the ML.

Regardless, my friend is thinking about the IS and I told him the ML is definitely worth it from all the praise that it has gotten. Mark levinson is a must!
Old 08-03-13, 11:39 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Lexus premium Audio Package (is no slouch) - 8 speakers, 293 watts
Mark Levinson Audio Package - 15 speakers, 835 watts
Old 08-04-13, 01:22 AM
sl0519
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by McMuffin
Hey guys, for those of you who didn't get the ML package, how do you like the stock sound system?

Also how many speakers does it come with, and does it have a factory subwoofer? Wattage?

I tried looking online, but couldn't find that info. I only found info for the ML.

Regardless, my friend is thinking about the IS and I told him the ML is definitely worth it from all the praise that it has gotten. Mark levinson is a must!
I heard those are Pioneer speakers.
It has bass but not as crystal clear as mark levinson.
Get ML for sure.
Old 08-04-13, 06:34 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you can get the ML, it is a good option. I wish I could add it in the RWD version of IS350 in Canada but Lexus Canada doesn't allow me ...
Old 08-04-13, 06:59 AM
aQuarius26
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what the specs are on the 2is Standard Audio system, but I am so pleased with it on its own, great clarity, and phenomenal bass (for stock) that I can't imagine the ML system could sound much better (Though I'm sure others could argue). Bottom line, It's the best sounding (standard) system I have ever heard in any vehicle, and I really couldn't be happier with it.

Old 08-04-13, 08:05 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aQuarius26
I don't know what the specs are on the 2is Standard Audio system, but I am so pleased with it on its own, great clarity, and phenomenal bass (for stock) that I can't imagine the ML system could sound much better (Though I'm sure others could argue). Bottom line, It's the best sounding (standard) system I have ever heard in any vehicle, and I really couldn't be happier with it.

I sat in a 3IS in the dealership for 15 minutes after the test drive. Using my own audio source, I played with various settings and sat in both the front seats and the rear seats. My impression is the standard sound system in 3IS seems to be better than the stock system in my 2006 2IS when sitting in the front seats. I don't need to increase the base to +2 or +3 in order to get adequate bass in 3IS as I have been doing in 2IS. For the back seats, since there is a reduced number of speakers at the back, I suspect the sound is less filling for the rear passengers.

Overall, I think the 3IS stock sound system is adequate for the driver if the ML is not available. However, it also depends on what type of music and what kind of format/bit rate you are listening. There is some music which really shows the capability of the speakers and that is when the ML shines. For day to day driving, the stock sound system is fine and ML is nice to have.
Old 08-04-13, 08:46 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Have you tried the Lexus Press Room?

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...duct+specs.htm
Old 08-04-13, 09:17 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by faifai83

Have you tried the Lexus Press Room?

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...duct+specs.htm
Additional info -- look for "Premium Sound System" section

http://media.toyota.ca/pr/tci/en/lex...ng-244451.aspx

In the picture, the letter A - G refer to different speakers and sometimes different locations in the stock and ML.

In general, the size of the speakers are bigger in ML. Also the treble is much better in ML due to the type and quality of the speakers. Also because of additional speakers placed at the door handle level of the rear seats as well as some special speakers located at the corners of the rear windshield, the sound imaging is supposing of to be better.

In the picture (taken from Lexus JP web site):

For the stock system

A - 5.5cm mid-high
B - 6.5cm mid-range
C - 18cm woofer
D - 16cm full range
E - 20cm subwoofer
F - Class D amp

For the ML

A - 9cm Unity (tweeter + mid-range in the same unit)
B - 18cm woofer
C - 17cm woofer
D - 2.5cm tweeter
E - 9cm Wide Dispersion (with acoustic lenses)
F - 20cm subwoofer
G - Class D amp

I have yet to find the chance to sit in a 3IS with ML to listen to it.

I am surprised this kind of info is not readily available in the Lexus web sites other than the one in Japan. I guess Japanese in general need to know this kind of details in order to make the purchase decision.
Attached Thumbnails Standard Audio System?-image-3292063681.jpg  

Last edited by AndyL; 08-04-13 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-04-13, 10:54 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Additional info -- look for "Premium Sound System" section

http://media.toyota.ca/pr/tci/en/lex...ng-244451.aspx

In the picture, the letter A - G refer to different speakers and sometimes different locations in the stock and ML.

In general, the size of the speakers are bigger in ML. Also the treble is much better in ML due to the type and quality of the speakers. Also because of additional speakers placed at the door handle level of the rear seats as well as some special speakers located at the corners of the rear windshield, the sound imaging is supposing of to be better.

In the picture (taken from Lexus JP web site):

For the stock system

A - 5.5cm mid-high
B - 6.5cm mid-range
C - 18cm woofer
D - 16cm full range
E - 20cm subwoofer
F - Class D amp

For the ML

A - 9cm Unity (tweeter + mid-range in the same unit)
B - 18cm woofer
C - 17cm woofer
D - 2.5cm tweeter
E - 9cm Wide Dispersion (with acoustic lenses)
F - 20cm subwoofer
G - Class D amp

I have yet to find the chance to sit in a 3IS with ML to listen to it.

I am surprised this kind of info is not readily available in the Lexus web sites other than the one in Japan. I guess Japanese in general need to know this kind of details in order to make the purchase decision.

Andy your awesome and a wealth of information!!!
Old 08-04-13, 01:58 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Too much time spent on waiting for my car delivery...
Old 08-04-13, 08:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

HAHA, I know what you mean. I had 300 posts over the last several years in this forum and now added more than double than in the last two months!

Thanks for the detailed info AndyL!
Old 08-05-13, 12:10 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks! i have been looking for this information for the longest time!
Old 08-05-13, 02:01 AM
McMuffin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome info Andy!! It's also good to hear the stock system isn't too bad, but I believe ML should definitely be worth it for people that love music.
Old 08-05-13, 05:02 AM
bigtang1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very happy with the stock sound system in my 2IS, FWIW. Love my Kef's in the living room and I think the car gives them a run for the money.
Old 08-06-13, 07:10 PM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent info. I've been searching and searching for this info for weeks with no luck. I knew someone here on the forums would eventually ace it. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Standard Audio System?