IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-13, 09:45 AM
pianospike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
pianospike - that's exactly the combo I got. They aren't shipping them with ML anymore? I have heard the Lexus radio in a 2IS and it's okay BUT the ML is another level -- the best OEM I've heard in a car. For the sake of context my last three cars have had the highly regarded ELS (Acura) and Lexicon (Genesis).
I'm not sure if they are still shipping them. My salesman seems to think he will be able to get one on an allocation but doesn't seem too sure, because he keeps mentioning special order if the allocation doesn't work out. There do appear to be a couple left down in SoCal, but he says they can't do a dealer swap with dealers down there

I thought a couple had arrived recently in the Bay Area based on a Lexus inventory search, but when I emailed the entire Internet sales team at one of the dealerships that was supposed to have them on the lot....no response more than 24 hours later. I followed up with a call just asking if they had the car on the lot. They said they would check and get back to me. No return call.

Anyway, thanks for feedback on the ML. Gives me more conviction to hold out for what I want.
Old 07-31-13, 09:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Very impressive and enjoyable review!
Old 07-31-13, 11:10 AM
seouljahon
Driver

might as well get a gs , just sayin!
Old 07-31-13, 11:38 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by pianospike
These thoughts regarding all the luxury bells and whistles echo my sentiments exactly. Just not that important to me, whereas ride/handling is everything. That said, I have been unable to get my car as yet (neb grey/red IS350 F sport) unless I'm willing to forego Mark Levinson, and even though I'm not an audiophile, I feel like I shouldn't forego that particular luxury option.
You can't get F-sport with ML audio anymore? Or just rare to come by?
Old 07-31-13, 11:52 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SimTide985 I just read through your thread on the Q50 forum. You do a great job of being impartial. In fact practically the whole darn Q50 forum seems civil, impartial, and open minded in it's discussions. I've read a number of threads there. Little or no fanboyism and little or no bashing. People writing sometimes several paragraphs about why they like or don't like.

Since it seems I'm the first to post here who actually owns the IS350 Fsport and as a person who has owned a huge number of cars over the years including a tech heavy car prior to this one -- I decided that at the end of the day -- no matter the luxury shortcomings -- it's all about the driving experience.

Lane departure, radar cruise, ventilated seats -- you name it -- my last car probably had it -- but it was in no way as much fun to drive as the IS. I realized while owning my other car that while all of the tech was interesting -- I didn't use it all that much -- but I was always driving the car. The ride/handling is the #1 virtue a car is supposed to have imo.
Thanks, you're absolutely right.

If you're looking for value, the IS350 F-Sport probably isn't what you want. There's always a kind of a tradeoff in this segment and I think the F-Sport makes its intentions clear. I'm dying inside that the F-Sport doesn't have memory seating, however I wouldn't trade the F-Sport's VGRS, DS+ mode, and the Adaptive Variable Suspension for lane departure, radar cruise, and ventilated seats any day of the week.
Old 07-31-13, 12:45 PM
pianospike
Rookie

Originally Posted by dojoman
You can't get F-sport with ML audio anymore? Or just rare to come by?
You can. Just so happens that the color combo I am after they are not currently available with ML and are not going to be available any time soon. I either need to change colors, give up ML, or special order. Sigh.
Old 07-31-13, 01:09 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My Dad would say you've got gold plated problems -- which IS to get.
Old 07-31-13, 01:49 PM
SimTide985
Driver

pianospike - that's exactly the combo I got. They aren't shipping them with ML anymore? I have heard the Lexus radio in a 2IS and it's okay BUT the ML is another level -- the best OEM I've heard in a car. For the sake of context my last three cars have had the highly regarded ELS (Acura) and Lexicon (Genesis).
Oh you've got to be kidding me..

I'm hoping that this is just some short term thing as it's still early in the first production run, but I love a car with a good sound system and you better believe I will not be buying any IS350 F-Sport without the ML..
Old 08-01-13, 02:23 AM
Buckdild
Driver School Candidate

Excellent review. I'll have to stop by the dealership and take one out for a spin and see if it's worth trading in my GS.
Old 08-01-13, 07:05 AM
unc879wins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

SimTide - that AutoMall Drive sure is a lunar landscape, lol. I'm in Tucson and actually work just around the corner from the AutoMall. Thanks for the detailed review.
Old 08-01-13, 08:14 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by unc879wins
SimTide - that AutoMall Drive sure is a lunar landscape, lol. I'm in Tucson and actually work just around the corner from the AutoMall. Thanks for the detailed review.
Actually I grabbed the car from Lexus of Speedway.

But I'm no stranger to the Auto Mall Drive.
Old 08-01-13, 02:59 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by Buckdild
Excellent review. I'll have to stop by the dealership and take one out for a spin and see if it's worth trading in my GS.
Is it a new GS? Why are you getting rid of it?
Old 08-02-13, 05:41 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Some bonus pics of the IS350 F-Sport that was in the showroom. I think I like the combination of the white on red better than the red on black in the tester.

My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)-ehrwl2n.jpg

Attachment 499593

My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)-jr4uyoj.jpg

My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)-qwykzka.jpg

Attachment 499596

Attachment 499597
Old 08-02-13, 05:45 PM
bshaw777
Driver

Originally Posted by SimTide985
Some bonus pics of the IS350 F-Sport that was in the showroom. I think I like the combination of the white on red better than the red on black in the tester.
I think red interior gives it more character
Old 08-02-13, 06:10 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by bshaw777
I think red interior gives it more character
My favorite color combinations right now are

-Silver Lining Metallic with Rioja Red
-Red Matador Mica with Light Gray
-Obsidian with Rioja Red

Quick Reply: My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)