IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How are you going to protect your grill?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-13, 10:03 AM
bshaw777
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are you going to protect your grill?

In researching clear bra recommendations I realized that the FSport grill would be subject to the same punishment as the fender, front bumper, etc. I'm not sure how the grill will stand up over time. Im not sure if paint protection film can be placed on the grill. Forum member AndyL directed me to this link in which another member got his grill wrapped in black vinyl.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...s-angeles.html

Have any other members considered this and if so, how are you going to guard your grill?
Old 07-28-13, 10:47 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In order to put paint protection film on the F Sport, the installer really needs to be very meticulous and patient even if a kit is available (which I doubt it). The problem does not lie in the shine on the normal paint protection film as there are indeed some matte film available, but it is really a painstaking process if you look at the F Sport in close detail.

Even with the black vinyl, whoever was the installer that did the other member's F sport is amazing. Vinyl is much easy to work with but they are not as durable as urethane paint protection film. I think Plastdip is a more doable solution. Maybe contact Plastdip directly for a proper application?

Last edited by AndyL; 07-28-13 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-29-13, 09:06 AM
bshaw777
Driver

Originally Posted by AndyL
In order to put paint protection film on the F Sport, the installer really needs to be very meticulous and patient even if a kit is available (which I doubt it). The problem does not lie in the shine on the normal paint protection film as there are indeed some matte film available, but it is really a painstaking process if you look at the F Sport in close detail.

Even with the black vinyl, whoever was the installer that did the other member's F sport is amazing. Vinyl is much easy to work with but they are not as durable as urethane paint protection film. I think Plastdip is a more doable solution. Maybe contact Plastdip directly for a proper application?
How much do you think something like this would cost?
Old 07-29-13, 10:08 AM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

Everything mentioned here (vinyl, clearbra) would only help against road debris, nicks, scrapes, chips.

How about the occasional (once a week in big cities) a--hole that can't parallel park in a spot the size of a cruise ship that backs into the IS grill?

For states that require front license plates, we have this...which is ugly.
BumpShox XL - Front Car Bumper Protection, Ultimate Front Bumper Guard. Front Bumper Protection License Plate Frame. Tougher Than Steel ! : Amazon.com : Automotive BumpShox XL - Front Car Bumper Protection, Ultimate Front Bumper Guard. Front Bumper Protection License Plate Frame. Tougher Than Steel ! : Amazon.com : Automotive

And this...which is less ugly but probably a slightly better solution.
Amazon.com: 4Bumpers® THE BEST SOLID STEEL BUMPER PROTECTOR: Automotive Amazon.com: 4Bumpers® THE BEST SOLID STEEL BUMPER PROTECTOR: Automotive
Old 07-29-13, 11:10 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bshaw777

How much do you think something like this would cost?
Sorry I really don't have a clue. The best bet is to ask whoever did the grill on the other thread.