IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Front break rotor grinding

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-17, 06:08 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Front break rotor grinding

I did a quick search and came up empty. I had this problem about 10 years ago on my Honda Fit. I think this is similar.

After some extremely heavy snowfall and ice weather the past few days after a long drive home from snowboarding I noticed at low speeds the break on the right front tire is making a grinding type noise when lightly applied. If i fully apply the break the noise doesnt seem to occur but rolling up to a light you here crunch, crunch. grind as you slow to a stop.

Quick background. Just got the car in December certified used. CPO program says breaks must be 70% or above and I've only put 4k on the car since I got it so it should not need maintnance. 2014 IS350 AWD F-sport.

Had my girlfriend roll up my street on the way home why i walked next to the car and I came the conclusion the same conclusion i had with my honda fit that the metal disc gaurd the sits VERY close to the rotor was making contact somewhere and making the noise. When this happened in my fit I reached through the wheels and bent that metal away from the rotor just a little bit all the way around and the problem never came back even after another 80k+ miles.

On this car last night I did reach my hand in and move that metal piece a little and it seems to make the same creaking/grinding/crunching noise it was making during breaking. However I didn't fix anything. It was cold and wet out so I figured I'd ask you guys.

I also think cleaning the car will help after i remove the salt and any other ice that could be up there it may be fine.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks for reading and for any help offered. Loving the club lexus forums you guys are great. I've found many answers (like my gas door popping open) and bought lots of used parts to install in the spring!
Old 02-12-17, 02:47 PM
h2ouup2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope a simple cleaning does the trick. If it doesn't keep us informed on what the problem was, and the final solution.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-17, 09:42 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

I am still experiencing this issue after I had the car cleaned. I am dropping it off Friday (also having dealer install f-sport intake and exhaust)

The dealer said it could possibly be something with the parking break is stuck but admitted they won't know until the hear and experience the noise I am talking about. Will keep you guys posted. It's an odd one.

Since yesterday was dry and I did some driving I turned off the radio rolled down the passenger window to listen to the issue closely. During regular driving I think something is actually rubbing causing a very very low squealing sound although it seems to be only in one spot and kind of fade in and out depending how fast your driving. In a parking lot scenario as soon as you press down on the break going 10/12 mph or slower you hear a loud grind that quickly goes away. Then after letting go of the break the grind happens another time and now will continue a scraping noise until you come to a full stop. All of the noises I'm hearing or creaking, scraping, grinding and all from the same area.

Curious to see what the dealer comes up with.
Old 02-15-17, 03:04 PM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Video https://goo.gl/photos/2X5ADt2TXmaggj2n8

Noise at 0:40 & 1:45
Old 02-15-17, 06:19 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Ciggy
Video https://goo.gl/photos/2X5ADt2TXmaggj2n8

Noise at 0:40 & 1:45
I heard the one around 1:45...a backing plate is touching a rotor...gently push the backing plate away from each of the rotors and that should fix the noise.
If a wheel or wheels were removed recently, start with those...sometimes when taking the wheel of it slips and the rim pushes the backing plate into the rotor on the way to falling to the ground...not to say it hit the ground (don't panic)

If you're not too familiar with what/where the backing plate is, let me know and I can describe further.
Old 02-15-17, 06:30 PM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

I did try to push the backing plate away from the rotor all the way around didn't have an effect.
Old 02-15-17, 06:39 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Ciggy
I did try to push the backing plate away from the rotor all the way around didn't have an effect.
Maybe give it a second shot and push a little harder this time. Realistically it will only bend so far and then stop.
Also if you have a torque wrench, check to make sure all the wheel nuts are tight. If you don't have a torque wrench, just tighten each nut to what you feel is tight using the tool in the trunk.