IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The Infortainment System Is Total Trash

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 10:32 AM
alexkidd
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The Infortainment System Is Total Trash

Jesus, I just traded in my 2013 Volvo S60 for a 2014 IS 350 F Sport and my god is the Infotainment system garbage. Who designed this thing? Who at Lexus sat in the car using and thought it was a good idea? Coming from Volvo everything is controlled from the steering wheel and it is sooooo much easier and safer to use. Why in gods name do I have to use arrows to scroll thru my mp3 folders? Why cant i just hold the mouse at downwards and keep scrolling? Why do I lose my folder structure? If I have 20 albums of one artist in folders inside a folder with the artist name why do I have to scroll thru all of them?? Why does that powered by whatever pop up constantly? Why are the graphics so ugly?? Looks like I am running Windows 3.1 in this car. Why is the text so massive if I view the songs playing in the speedometer console? I can't even see what song is playing because it shows like 10 letters and it doesn't even scroll. Please tell me there are some home made skins I can load...
Old 02-09-17, 10:44 AM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree. The entire system is very outdated and the interface is crap.
The infotainment is the worse thing about this car, next to the cup holders..
Old 02-09-17, 11:13 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr
The infotainment is the worse thing about this car, next to the cup holders...
and the non flat-bottom steering wheel.
Old 02-09-17, 11:25 AM
39RN
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that it could be much better... But when you come from a 2001 IS300 this infotainment system is light years better than what I had! X2 on the cup holders!
Old 02-09-17, 11:38 AM
tlhicks
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I traded in My 2015 LX570 with the good Old Touchscreen for the 2017 LX570 with the "Remote Touch". I hate that damn mouse. Im in the IT field and the last thing I want to do in my LX is operate a mouse. But otherwise this vehicle is amazing!!!
Old 02-09-17, 11:50 AM
350Alex
Driver School Candidate

Seeing threads like this make me more and more glad that I opted not to get nav on my IS350. The basic spinny **** thing is really easy to use without even looking at the screen, for the functions I use the most. I'm sure the Remote Touch isn't so bad once you get used to it. I had it on a loaner for a day, though, and a day is definitely not enough time to get used to it.
Old 02-09-17, 12:09 PM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whenever I have a passenger they'll think it's cool and like playing with the controls but it's annoying for the driver
Old 02-09-17, 12:23 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have no problem controlling it from the steering wheel so not sure what you are complaining about.
I personally like the graphics and have no issues with the mouse.
The following users liked this post:
Break2 (02-10-17)
Old 02-09-17, 12:42 PM
tlhicks
Driver

Default NO issue with the mouse REALLY!

Originally Posted by Olasek
I have no problem controlling it from the steering wheel so not sure what you are complaining about.
Yes the mouse works but it takes twice as long as the touch screen. Touch and done or click the mouse over every available menu item on the screen until you get to what you want then click on it. And yes the mouse stops on every available object between where you are and where you want to go. Easy example, Touchscreen type in Main St. Touch MAIN done. Mouse click through however many letters to get to M. Click, move through 7 letters to the A click. Move through all the letter to get to i click and so on. Its like that on every menu. If you are on a menu item in the lower right corner and you need a menu item in the upper left corner and there are 5 menu buttons between them it stops on every one. PAIN IN THE ***! I do however LOVE LOVE LOVE the huge 12 inch display. But that mouse is **** ON A STICK!
Old 02-09-17, 12:46 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Ditto except for browsing for playlists when I have the iPod plugged in, but I don't expect seamless integration with a third party product.
Old 02-09-17, 12:54 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tlhicks
Yes the mouse works but it takes twice as long as the touch screen.
You can't do touch screen with the screen which is relatively so far away from you as in Lexus, it simply would not work or work safely. And I personally like this location - just a notch lower than the windshield hence safer for viewing both the road and the screen, it is better for ergonomics of 'viewing'. Given a touch screen but located closer on the dashboard and the one in Lexus (non-touch) I take the latter.
Old 02-09-17, 01:01 PM
tlhicks
Driver

You can't do touch screen with the screen which is relatively so far away from you as in Lexus, it simply would not work or work safely. And I personally like this location - just a notch lower than the windshield hence safer for viewing both the road and the screen, it is better for ergonomics of 'viewing'. Given a touch screen but located closer on the dashboard and the one in Lexus (non-touch) I take the latter.
Again. I love the screen and everything except the mouse. A touch pad would be much better, slide your finger and tap. It could ever swipe left or right, respond to gestures, even recognize letters you draw. All possible with a touch Pad. All Impossible with that remote touch mouse crap.
Old 02-09-17, 01:04 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It's just personal preference. I have the remote touch in my GS and a touchscreen in my Highlander. They're basically the same nav system, but I loathe the touchscreen in the Highlander.

I think some of the menus and formats could have been laid out better, but I'm so used to it now that I don't really have to think about it. For entering addresses, I do agree a touchscreen is easier than remote touch, so I usually do that via the phone app or voice command.
Old 02-09-17, 01:09 PM
alexkidd
Rookie

I miss my Volvo's system. All the menus only go up and down and then there are sub folders. Everything is accessible from the dial and control panel on the steering wheel. It is super fast and easy to use. For anyone curious...

Old 02-09-17, 01:20 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Good for you, I personally don't think there is anything 'pretty' about the Volvo graphics, I consider Lexus' graphics far from 'ugly'. I would never purchase a car that was a 'total trash' in any department, so you must be spewing a hyperbole or you wouldn't purchase such car unless you purchase cars without giving them a hard look in which case it doesn't speak highly of your consumer skills.

Last edited by Olasek; 02-09-17 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply: The Infortainment System Is Total Trash