IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

I will not the buy the new IS...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-13, 07:55 AM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I will not the buy the new IS...

I test drove it and enjoyed it. I've been doing lots of thinking. I'm not new to sports cars. I've had plenty of RWD cars in the past. They are terrible to deal with in our northeast winters. That's minus one.

Dealers here aren't budging much on fully equipped AWD 350 F's. I don't blame them. Currently, demand is higher than supply so they have leverage. That's minus two.

The Mark Levinson pkg which I want so badly seems to only be available in RWD models in the lower southeast region. That's minus three.

My current car (a modest 2011 VW GTI) is about 6 months away from completion of payments and then I will own it. No payments. I think I will save my money and wait for the coupe IS. Lots of interesting rumors milling about that car.

I don't think I'm making a bad decision but man, why do I feel so sad about going this route? Lol
Old 07-22-13, 08:25 AM
greggy23
Rookie

Not a bad decision. Don't feel sad. You'll own your car soon and by waiting you'll see what else Lexus will be coming out with. Everyone has a different situation that dictates their decisions. Save your money and wait.
Old 07-22-13, 08:38 AM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Brklyn

My current car (a modest 2011 VW GTI) is about 6 months away from completion of payments and then I will own it. No payments. I think I will save my money and wait for the coupe IS. Lots of interesting rumors milling about that car.

I don't think I'm making a bad decision but man, why do I feel so sad about going this route? Lol
Good idea to wait for coupe in my opinion, and maybe it will get a new engine (2.0t or updated 350+ engine?).

Enjoy the paid off car, I paid mine off almost a year ago and have been saving for my next purchase, not rushing it, just waiting until something really impresses me!!!
Old 07-22-13, 08:50 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The VW GTI is a sweet car and all you need for NYC imo.
Old 07-22-13, 08:58 AM
Stillhart
Rookie

I am not in a position where I can wait to get a car, but if I were, I'd wait for a better engine in the IS. I think you're making a good decision.
Old 07-22-13, 09:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Give it about a year and then you can pick up a RC
Old 07-22-13, 09:11 AM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Glashub
The VW GTI is a sweet car and all you need for NYC imo.
I agree. For this city, this GTI has proven to be the best fit of any car I've ever owned. I have never had trouble squeezing it into a tight parking spot. Tight parking spots that I would never in a million years consider putting a new Lexus in. All the dings, scrapes and dents my car has incurred, has been while parked. This city sucks for nice cars. I did a few mods to the car and it's currently putting out roughly 290 hp. Slow off the line but can punch it pretty good when at highway speeds.

I'm hoping Lexus considers making a coupe with AWD (as Infiniti does).
Old 07-22-13, 09:38 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, that's the perfect car for now. In fact I wouldn't want a new car in NYC. Cars are mostly for weekend getaways from NY. Wait until you move to LI.
Old 07-22-13, 11:47 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Point 1 is not true ...Snow means nothing to a RWD car ...Issue is there is no such thing a an "ALL SEASON" tire with RWD...if you rode an all season tire thinking that somehow you would be ok in the snow with a RWD car and blamed the RWD design of the car..someone should have blessed you with a set of snow tires, namely Bridgestone Blizzaks , your mind would have changed instantly.
that "all season" tire stuff is cool for FWD...but for snow with a RWD vehicle with power like the 350 you need str8 snow tires...and no less.
You would be FINE! with them. thing is you may not want to switch tires or ride 2 different sets of wheels/tires for summer and winter.
but then again to many of us on these forums 2 sets of "shoes" is standard practice (1 for winter, 1 for summer)

Not only that ---to point 3 the ML stereo in the IS is not all that my friend...you are better off getting the stock one and enhancing it yourself...those with the ML know what I mean.

Last edited by NYC ES3; 07-23-13 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-23-13, 12:49 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

No car payment is such a beautiful thing.
FWIW, there will always be a new, better, gotta-have car out sometime. Even if and when you grab your next ride, there will be something even more amazing a year or two later. It's the nature of the beast and it can't be won. What it comes down to is how much money each of us is willing to part with in relation to keeping up with the new additions.
Old 07-23-13, 01:53 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I too also have to disagree with point one.

RWD with snow tires and you're fine. Considering my location, which is known for snow.
Old 07-23-13, 05:33 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

will have to find a couple year old CPO one for me to seriously consider the 3IS
Old 07-23-13, 05:40 AM
pinipig523
Rookie

Just wait a little.. you'll find a good deal.
Old 07-23-13, 07:54 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
I too also have to disagree with point one.

RWD with snow tires and you're fine. Considering my location, which is known for snow.
I have been doing this (2 sets of rims, good summer and winter tires with TPMS) for my 2IS and 1IS for a total of 10+ years. In most cases, you should be fine, However, if you have to navigate the city regardless of whether there is heavy snow or snowstorm (say, for work reasons), then FWD or AWD (again, two sets of tires) may be a more sensible choice, IMO.
Old 07-23-13, 08:06 AM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NYC ES3
Point 1 is not true ...Snow means nothing to a RWD car ...Issue is there is no such thing a an "ALL SEASON" tirewith RWD...Not only that ---to point 3 the ML stereo in the IS is not all that my friend...you are better off getting the stock one and enhancing it yourself...those with the ML know what I mean.
I'm well aware of Blizzaks and their capabilities. I don't have the space or the desire to have an additional set of wheels. Thus, AWD with AS tires are a better fit for me. I've modded cars in the past and don't want extra set of "shoes" to look after. I don't want to mod my future cars at all.

Lexus ML on the 3IS is 835 watts, 15-speaker 7.1ch sound system isn't all that?? Well, the stock system sounds pretty inferior from my test drive. I've had an ML system in my 2006 GS430 and it was pretty sweet. I don't even think that system was anywhere near 835 watts. Again, I'm done with car modding so enhancing a stock sound system isn't for me.

Quick Reply: I will not the buy the new IS...