IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Bad Dealer vs Good Dealer experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-13, 12:41 PM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Dealer vs Good Dealer experience

Earlier this week, I test drove a 350 awd non F on a whim. I was cycling around the city for hours and noticed a Lexus dealership. Decided to look at the new IS in person. It was a hot day and I was drenched in perspiration from cycling. I'm pretty sure I didn't smell too great. Anyhow, the sales person and general sales manage were very friendly and displayed no pressure tactics. They also pulls out the 350 that was inside, on the showroom floor so I could test drive it. I liked this place.

Today, I decided to get in touch with a second dealership in my area. Initiated contact through the website. Within 10 minutes, got a ring on my phone from a salesgirl. She started by saying she received my interest in e 250. I corrected her and said "no. 350 awd F sport with mark Levinson". Se put me on hold for a few minutes and asked "when would u like to come in?" I asked if she had the car I want. She said no. They only have one 350 non F. I said I wasn't interested. She said the ML isn't available with the F Sport and each dealership only gets one F Sport. She said "Come in today and we can try to get you the car you want IF YOU ARE SERIOUS." After this, she continued using this same phrase after anything she said. "IF YOU ARE SERIOUS".

I find that to be an underhanded psychological sales technique. Make the customer feels he/she has to prove themselves. Right from the start, this was leaving a bad feeling in my gut and I didn't even step into this dealership. Needless to say..I won't be.
Old 07-19-13, 01:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

I agree. The "If you are serious" phrase is a total turn off. They must always treat each customer as a potential customer equally with the hope the customer is pleased and returns. Lucky for me, I've bought my last four at the same Lexus dealer and they've always been completely professional without the slightest hint of sales pressure.
Old 07-19-13, 01:27 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is just something you have to get used to it. Business is business. A lot of people may disagree with me, but don't feel bad of confronting a person if he/she has made you feel uncomfortable. The law of reciprocity - you return what you have received.

Looking at your name and location, do you live in Brooklyn, NY?
Old 07-19-13, 02:24 PM
Alius
Pole Position

if you're in the NYC area, which dealerships did you go to?

I got mine from Lexus of Massapequa, great staff over there.
Old 07-19-13, 03:16 PM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

I'm from Brooklyn. I'll be giving my business to Lexus of Manhattan. I'm not sure what's up but no one seems to have a 350 F equipped with Mark Levinson. Something I really want. I enjoy driving with tunes.
Old 07-19-13, 03:21 PM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

So far I've only checked out Manhattan and Bay Ridge. Past car buying experiences have taught me to try buying from nearest dealerships bc if I have to send my car in for an unscheduled mechanical failure, I'll need a loaner. I've had BMW of Manhattan refuse to give me a loaner bc the car wasn't purchased at their dealership.
Old 07-19-13, 04:07 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brklyn
I'm from Brooklyn. I'll be giving my business to Lexus of Manhattan. I'm not sure what's up but no one seems to have a 350 F equipped with Mark Levinson. Something I really want. I enjoy driving with tunes.
I ordered mine from Bay Ridge Lexus exactly a month ago - 350 F-Sport RWD, including ML. I was told that my car is not going to be a special order. As of today, no news from Bay Ridge Lexus, and I'm getting a bit upset. I've already seen a bunch of 250 AWD F-Sport in NYC. I never like Bay Ridge Lexus. For some reasons, I just think that dealers in the metro NYC area are just arrogant.

Not so relevant: are you aware that Audi Brooklyn originally located in Coney Island Ave has moved to the old Lexus spot at 65th st and 7th ave? lol

Last edited by doctorttt; 07-19-13 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-19-13, 04:20 PM
redraptor
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm ordering mine from Lexus of Smithtown. They and Massapequa were the best I dealt with in this purchase.

But Lexus of Rockville Center was horrible. Giving me false information stating that the 250 requires only regular gas, telling me red is a terrible color for this car and I should buy the black 250 fsport on their lot. Basically trying whatever it takes for me to buy the car they have in stock.

They wouldn't negotiate with the price either.

When Lexus called for me to take the survey, I gave them this info and a 1 star rating.

Never ever going back there again for anything.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 07-19-13, 04:27 PM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

No I wasn't aware of that. Nice to know.
Old 07-19-13, 04:46 PM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

One would think that in this day of constant Internet connectivity, access to information, reviews, discussion forums and social networking that these dealers would get a clue not to treat their prospects as idiots. Because we here share info and pass along experiences and learn from each other. It is to their advantage if a prospect is kept "in the dark". But those days are over.

I understand business is business. However, there are business ethics. Whether they choose to display and exemplify them is their choice. Whether we choose to give them our hard earned money is our choice. I prefer to give my money to a dealer I am happy to deal with.
Old 07-19-13, 05:19 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went into Magnussen Lexus of Fremont CA twice and each time nobody even said hello to me. They also keep their cars locked so you cant see inside. Since nobody wanted to acknowledge me after 15 minutes I left. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and went back again only to be ignored again. Maybe because I look young and have tattoos they thought I couldn't afford one? Who knows.

I went to Lexus of Pleasanton and was treated excellent. The sales guy was nice and non pressuring, let me test drive about 4 different cars, and patiently explained the differences between each model I was looking at. So I bought my new IS from Pleasanton. I will never step foot in Magnussen of Fremont again even though they are closer to my house.
Old 07-19-13, 06:11 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I did all of my hunting and negotiating online. As Reggie Jackson once said "I always want to be the dominant personality in that relationship with the pitcher. The internet helps with that. One dealer lied every which way to get me to set foot on the dealership floor -- Yelp reviews 1.5 stars -- high pressure and as it turns out they would only sell the car at MSRP whereas I got a god deal elsewhere -- through the internet.
Old 07-19-13, 09:30 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've recently talked(phone and online) with Westminster, Tustin, Longo and Escondido Lexus regarding a 2014 IS250 -- All of them have been courteous and professional - None of them pressured me.
Old 07-20-13, 01:27 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 155 Likes on 91 Posts

Having been on both sides of the sales coin, I can understand a dealer's tendency to say, "If you are interested..." With so many people messing around online, kicking tires, talking big, and wasting time, I can see a dealer's frustration. However, I think there are better and more professional ways to qualify a person as serious or not. For example, one can ask what timeframe he/she is looking to make a purchase. That can produce a lot of information without sounding pushy or greedy. "...If serious..." only means "we are only interested in making a sale," which means "we are only interested in making money," nothing else.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 07-20-13 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-20-13, 04:29 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
For example, one can ask what time frame he/she is looking to make a purchase. That can produce a lot of information without sounding pushy or greedy.
A+. That's how it's done!

Quick Reply: Bad Dealer vs Good Dealer experience