IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 250 F Sport Tires suck.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-13, 08:58 AM
titoman110
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS 250 F Sport Tires suck.

Any advise on what kind of tires i should get once these stock Bridgestone tires wear down. I was going really fast on a curve today and notice a little slip on the back side. I feel i need a little more grip to turn them corners at a fast speed. I've been a Falken, Yokohama tires kind of guy in the past with my JDM cars before but with my LEXUS i want to see what else i can get with good grip. Just want to see what you guys suggest. THANKS
Old 07-18-13, 09:22 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See the other tire tread here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...0-f-sport.html

If you want better tires, michelin continental and pirelli are the way to go

Recomend the michlin pilot super sport tire for best grip!
Old 07-18-13, 09:22 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest slowing down
Old 07-18-13, 09:26 AM
Jlesz
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
I suggest slowing down
agreed, their's no need to take corner's fast and trying to be a street racer. You drive a classy car so drive with class.
Old 07-18-13, 09:49 AM
titoman110
Driver

LOL are you guys serious. SLOW DOWN.....Might as well should of gotten a Chevy Volt or Prius... It's LEXUS F Sport..... Its a SPORT SEDAN...You need to have some fun with the car. It's not about being classy or anything. You need to have fun on the road sometimes. So someone in a Ferrari, Bugatti or Porsche shouldn't speed cause it's not classy to do so. Come on. Let's be real here and have some fun while driving safe and fast. Remember its a Sport Sedan not a Family Sedan.
Old 07-18-13, 10:09 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

You're clearly not driving safe if you nearly lost the red end. I'm more concerned with you plowing into oter people on the road. I've seen it happen far too often from people who moonlighted as F1 drivers on public roads.
Old 07-18-13, 10:15 AM
titoman110
Driver

Originally Posted by Ramon
You're clearly not driving safe if you nearly lost the red end. I'm more concerned with you plowing into oter people on the road. I've seen it happen far too often from people who moonlighted as F1 drivers on public roads.
I understand your concern but when i do speed I speed with no one is in the car with me. Two i speed and turn corners fast when there no car next to me. I'm not a little kid that drives all crazy like i were 21. I'm a grown man that knows when to speed and not to. I've been driving for 13 years now and I've learn the easy way and the hard way. The older you get the more you stop and think whats right and whats wrong when on the road driving.
Old 07-18-13, 10:25 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Sorry Tito, but you're speeding down a curve, there's no way you know what's coming around the bend. The fact that you didn't consider the fact that you don't have the ability to see around corners is further evidence your driving is far from safe. I'm all for spirited driving, but your description from the original post and your justification just now is plain unsafe.
Old 07-18-13, 11:06 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default are you my father? lol...

I laugh everytime someone asks for advice or tips on one thing and people feel the need to give life lessons. Its like the have the need to parent all the time or they're trying to make up for years of guilt ridden older sibling syndrome.

@titoman - I don't know you but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I like my corners, on ramps, freeway merging ramps FAST. I love curvy roads. Anyone can put a big motor in a car and hit the gas as hard as they can going in a straight line but maneuvering a car like ours around corners takes a bit more skill and practice. AND THE RIGHT TOOLS!

I like yokohamas myself (if you can afford it) Just stick with the falkens...those 452 are pretty sticky and wont break the bank. I.ve also heard good things about Kumhos on the track. =).

American tires are overrated and especially overpriced. (labor costs).

good luck man...
Old 07-18-13, 11:12 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

It's a pretty subjective thing, but for a Lexus doing what I think you want to be doing, I'd probably recommend the Michelin Pilot Super Sport or Bridgestone Potenza S04. Some 2IS guys would maybe recommend the Hankook Ventus V12, but I've never used them and from what I can recall they are more of a "they're good for the money" choice.

If you want even MORE grip, I would look to the Dunlop Direzza ZII or Bridgestone Potenza RE11, these have good grip but not very good wear. The Dunlops tend to be noisier, but are priced very well for the huge grip they give.

Jeff
Old 07-18-13, 11:13 AM
titoman110
Driver

Originally Posted by thejaperu
I laugh everytime someone asks for advice or tips on one thing and people feel the need to give life lessons. Its like the have the need to parent all the time or they're trying to make up for years of guilt ridden older sibling syndrome.

@titoman - I don't know you but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I like my corners, on ramps, freeway merging ramps FAST. I love curvy roads. Anyone can put a big motor in a car and hit the gas as hard as they can going in a straight line but maneuvering a car like ours around corners takes a bit more skill and practice. AND THE RIGHT TOOLS!

I like yokohamas myself (if you can afford it) Just stick with the falkens...those 452 are pretty sticky and wont break the bank. I.ve also heard good things about Kumhos on the track. =).

American tires are overrated and especially overpriced. (labor costs).

good luck man...
Thanks for the advise. It's always good to hear what other people can suggest and not give life lessons like some of these cats up in here.
Old 07-18-13, 11:22 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Have fun with your car Tito... That's one of the reasons why you bought her. Drive it like you stole it. I don't think anyone should have to tell you when and when not to drive safe, I think you got it covered. If you just wanted to cruise... You would have bought an LS. Oh BTW, Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires offer excellent grip. I have them on my LS and I really like them.
Old 07-18-13, 11:50 AM
titoman110
Driver

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
Have fun with your car Tito... That's one of the reasons why you bought her. Drive it like you stole it. I don't think anyone should have to tell you when and when not to drive safe, I think you got it covered. If you just wanted to cruise... You would have bought an LS. Oh BTW, Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires offer excellent grip. I have them on my LS and I really like them.

Thanks man. That why i got a fun driving car and the new Lexus IS is just that. Fun to drive. Lexus IS chief engineer Junichi Furuyama said it best. When he was working on the new IS his biggest goal was to make the IS fun to drive. So i"m making sure that the money i spent on my IS F Sport is well worth it. Like Ricky Bobby said, " i wanna go fast." and i go fast when i can.
Old 07-18-13, 01:42 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

bridgestone turanzas ER33 that come on the F Sport arent rated very well on tire rack. Kinda sucks that they give you junky tires on the sport package
Old 07-18-13, 01:48 PM
titoman110
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
bridgestone turanzas ER33 that come on the F Sport arent rated very well on tire rack. Kinda sucks that they give you junky tires on the sport package
I agree with you on that. Wished Lexus would of put better tires on the IS 250 F Sport but once these tires are done I will get better tires with better grip.

Quick Reply: IS 250 F Sport Tires suck.