TPMS Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-13, 04:15 AM
APRacing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Sensors

Hi everyone

Does anyone know if Lexus uses the same TPMS sensors on the 2014 IS as one the earlier generations IS? (Or on todays GS, LS etc.)

Any recommendation for any after marked sensors with good quality, or should I stick to the OEM product? (OEM PMV-107J?)

Need these for the winter tires for my IS300H (on its way from the land of the rising sun), as these were bloody expensive from the lexus dealer, so I'm going to use an existing set of 18" Vertini Hennessey for the winter tires, and therefor in need of a set of TPMS Sensors for these
Old 07-15-13, 04:18 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell me when you get an answer. I have the same issue as you.
And winter tires\rims are half the price if you buy anywhere else than from lexus..

If you find the correct ones, there are some cheap second hand sets of sensors on ebay.
Old 07-15-13, 04:31 AM
APRacing
Driver School Candidate

no problem there are so many different types to choose from so I hope someone in here can confirm that they haven't changed the system for the new IS

The OEM Toyota sensors cost NOK600 each so i think Ebay is the way to go on this.
Old 07-15-13, 06:52 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by APRacing
Hi everyone

Does anyone know if Lexus uses the same TPMS sensors on the 2014 IS as one the earlier generations IS? (Or on todays GS, LS etc.)

Any recommendation for any after marked sensors with good quality, or should I stick to the OEM product? (OEM PMV-107J?)

Need these for the winter tires for my IS300H (on its way from the land of the rising sun), as these were bloody expensive from the lexus dealer, so I'm going to use an existing set of 18" Vertini Hennessey for the winter tires, and therefor in need of a set of TPMS Sensors for these
Switching from a 2IS to 3IS, I also hope that the TPMS sensors are the same as I got a new set of TPMS sensors in OEM winter rims 2 years ago and the battery are still strong. Also if the OEM 17" wheels that come with 2IS can be fitted properly in 3IS, then it can save some money.

With respect to sticking to OEM TPMS or aftermarket, I came across some aftermarket sensors recommended/promoted by my tire shop. I forgot the name but it is in blue colour with a name started with "Shrxxxxx" and it is made in UK. It is programmable to work with any TPMS sensors from every major car manufacturers.

I have been hesitant to use those aftermarket ones because I think only the tire shop who has installed them can support you. At least dealership may have a hard time in troubleshooting aftermarket sensors should problem arises.

Last edited by AndyL; 07-15-13 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-15-13, 08:00 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Switching from a 2IS to 3IS, I also hope that the TPMS sensors are the same as I got a new set of TPMS sensors in OEM winter rims 2 years ago and the battery are still strong. Also if the OEM 17" wheels that come with 2IS can be fitted properly in 3IS, then it can save some money.

With respect to sticking to OEM TPMS or aftermarket, I came across some aftermarket sensors recommended/promoted by my tire shop. I forgot the name but it is in blue colour with a name started with "Shrxxxxx" and it is made in UK. It is programmable to work with any TPMS sensors from every major car manufacturers.

I have been hesitant to use those aftermarket ones because I think only the tire shop who has installed them can support you. At least dealership may have a hard time in troubleshooting aftermarket sensors should problem arises.
Good point on aftermarket TPMS and dealer support.

I've been wanting to know the compatibility myself since I have yet to find TPMS sensors labeled specifically to work for the 3IS. So far only found 2IS sensors. My concern with backwards compatibility is the way the 3IS can now monitor individual and report on the individual sensors. Does this imply new TPMS sensors or is this hopefully only a change in the 3IS ECU (or both)?
Old 07-15-13, 12:35 PM
APRacing
Driver School Candidate

Google gives answers to anything.. Sewell is stating part number 42607-30060 for the 2014 lexus IS, as is the same as these models: (ref sewell)

LS600h: 2013 - 2013
GS450h: 2013 - 2013
GS350: 2013 - 2013
ES300h: 2013 - 2013
ES350: 2013 - 2013

It might be a hope, i have sent sewell a mail and hopes for a confirmation.

From ebay it look like all these models are equivalent with the 2nd gen IS as well, but sewell states following oem number 42607-33021 for this.

Does anyone know if the 42607-33021 and the 42607-30060 are equivalent?
Old 07-15-13, 12:59 PM
magne
Lead Lap

Maybe toyo diy can give you the answer. Google it.
Don't have the time to check it myself right now..
This page sensors the webpage when I try to link it or even just mention its name without linking???

Last edited by magne; 07-15-13 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-15-13, 07:57 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Good point on aftermarket TPMS and dealer support.

I've been wanting to know the compatibility myself since I have yet to find TPMS sensors labeled specifically to work for the 3IS. So far only found 2IS sensors. My concern with backwards compatibility is the way the 3IS can now monitor individual and report on the individual sensors. Does this imply new TPMS sensors or is this hopefully only a change in the 3IS ECU (or both)?
If the TPMS in 2IS is compatible with the one in 3IS, then it is a good news for a lot of owners who switch from 2IS to 3IS, especially the winter ones.

Speaking of the TPMS senors with auto location, I find it helpful as you can literally see changes in tire pressures dynamically, not just when you start the car. This is what I observed in the 2013 ES loaner car. I bet it is the same case for the new IS.
Old 07-16-13, 12:51 AM
magne
Lead Lap

A little feedback from my sales rep regardring the tpms.

When you change from winter to summer tires, or other way around, the workshop has to programme the new setup.
This has to be done every time you change tires according to my dealership.

In other words, it is not possible to change the tires on your own, without visiting a dealership.
At least not if you want the tpms system work.
Old 07-16-13, 04:01 AM
APRacing
Driver School Candidate

can this be a idea to solve this "problem"?

http://www.ateqtpm.com/products/tpms.../ateq-quickset

ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 07-16-13, 06:00 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by magne
A little feedback from my sales rep regardring the tpms.

When you change from winter to summer tires, or other way around, the workshop has to programme the new setup.
This has to be done every time you change tires according to my dealership.

In other words, it is not possible to change the tires on your own, without visiting a dealership.
At least not if you want the tpms system work.
Actually some tire shops are experienced to program the TPMS. For my 2IS, I went to the same tire shop for wheel swap and new tires with TPMS. In my situation and probably CorradoMR2's, we have two set of wheels (summer and winter tires on separate sets). As long as you ask the dealership to enter the TPMS ID codes properly whenever you buy a new set of TPMS, you are good to go. There is no intervention required by the tire shop whenever you do the tire.wheel swap ---------this was the situation with the 2IS where the car system allows to store two sets of tires (primary and secondary sets).

Now for 3IS, , I bet there is only has a reset button and you only need to find a good tire shop who has the tool to plug into your OBD port and rewrite theTPMS ID codes every time when you do the wheel swap (winter to summer and vice versa). Of course, you may run into problems when the tire shop has no experience or not good enough. The one I went to is okay and I have been fine so far. I have both 2IS (primary/secondary switch) and current gen RX (reset button).

Now,say you have to buy another set of TPMS sensors from the dealership, there is a risk of having faulty units and in my area, the dealership has non-returnable policy on some parts, including the TPMS sensors. The reason is there is no way to sell if the sensor works by its physical appearance. The only time you know it works is when you install it to the wheel and has the sensor communicate with the car in proper locations. For my case, I would accept the risk since I rely on the tire shop for wheel balancing and new tires.
Old 07-16-13, 06:06 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the link. It is an interesting tool. However, it seems that Lexus/Toyota is not on the list in the link. Besides, I know a TPMS programming tool that is used by tire shops can be very expensive (say Bartech) and I would rather let them do the task. I was told there is incidence where the reset button in Lexus/Toyota acts up and needs replacement. I am unable to validate it though...
Old 07-16-13, 01:14 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Good feedback folks. What bothers me is paying ~$150 twice a year I know Lexus will charge to reset the TPMS codes when switching from summer to winter sets and vice versa. I would not feel comfortable going to a local shop even Toyota as this taps into the ECU.

To me, the ultimate question I have yet to find an answer to is whether an annoying warning (audible and/or visual) will stay on hijacking the secondary displays like fuel econ, range, temp, etc if standard valves are installed in a second set of tires. Same with a LOW FUEL warning which takes over the display until you circle out of it from the steering controls BUT a couple seconds later, the warning is back and that's all you see Since I rarely keep my cars more than 2 years, I can do without the 250-300$ upfront costs for the 4 TPMS valves and the bi-yearly $300 trips to the dealer to re-register...
Old 07-20-13, 06:43 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Good feedback folks. What bothers me is paying ~$150 twice a year I know Lexus will charge to reset the TPMS codes when switching from summer to winter sets and vice versa. I would not feel comfortable going to a local shop even Toyota as this taps into the ECU.

To me, the ultimate question I have yet to find an answer to is whether an annoying warning (audible and/or visual) will stay on hijacking the secondary displays like fuel econ, range, temp, etc if standard valves are installed in a second set of tires. Same with a LOW FUEL warning which takes over the display until you circle out of it from the steering controls BUT a couple seconds later, the warning is back and that's all you see Since I rarely keep my cars more than 2 years, I can do without the 250-300$ upfront costs for the 4 TPMS valves and the bi-yearly $300 trips to the dealer to re-register...
$150 for resetting the TPMS sensors and swapping the summer to winter or winter to summer rims? That is quite expensive. Does it include wheel balancing? The tire shop that I have been going is considered very expensive and it is around $150 but they do a fabulous job of wheel balancing with Hofmann wheel balancer without scratching the rims. Also they program the TPMS properly.
Old 07-20-13, 08:44 PM
magne
Lead Lap

In norway we get the wheel change and tpms registration for free two times per year

But still, it's the trouble of taking the day off just to get this done, when I could have done it myself at home if they hade made the tpms setup easy to work with.

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensors