IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Excessive brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-13, 10:36 AM
blksolara
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
When dealer delivered your car was there really wet tire dressing on the wheels? I suspect it's the cause. If you google it you can see many people with same problem on white cars. When you drove off tire dressing slings onto wheel well and lower car body, if it wasn't wipe off the stain will baked onto clear coat. The stains actually come from tire chemical put on by manufacturer.
yup, I read the other thread and followed up with some research. Moving forward, I'm going to request they don't put that stuff on my tires.

yes, when I drove my car off the lot, the tires were drenched in tire dressing. Anyone else purchasing a ultra white should look out for this, I had to push very hard to get it repainted, car is now 3 weeks old and i only had it for 1, it's taking them 2 weeks to reprint...frustrating.

Thanks for all the help, appreciate it!
Old 07-14-13, 10:51 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by blksolara
yup, I read the other thread and followed up with some research. Moving forward, I'm going to request they don't put that stuff on my tires.

yes, when I drove my car off the lot, the tires were drenched in tire dressing. Anyone else purchasing a ultra white should look out for this, I had to push very hard to get it repainted, car is now 3 weeks old and i only had it for 1, it's taking them 2 weeks to reprint...frustrating.

Thanks for all the help, appreciate it!
That sucks. Brand new car had to be repainted because of bone head dealer car wash. Sucks they only know how to sell cars but don't know how to care for it. I'm going to leave mine alone since it's only visible on one side.
Old 07-14-13, 11:01 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the warning. When mine arrives, I will request no wheel dressing.
Old 07-14-13, 12:31 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i have the ultra white and found stains on the back end of my car - yellow stains, rust dots, im guessing from the brakes. the dealer is going to repaint it but what can i do to prevent it in the future?
Doing a repaint is a last resort for a new car, IMO. Factory paint is usually better (there are reports that after the body shop, the coating is thicker than the factory one and hence it is more resistant to stone chips, however ...). Whenever your car is in a shop, things can get messed up somewhere else.

If it is yellow stains and rust dots, a proper clay may solve the problem. It is not uncommon to see some rust dots on a lighter car even before the delivery as rail dust and air contaminants can stick to the car when it is in transit. The first thing I do with the car when I pick it up is to do a careful car wash, followed by close examination of the paint condition, then do a proper clay, polish, wax... the list goes on..

Also I came across this product (haven't tried it yet but it is promising) but not sure if it helps..

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html

EDIT: I didn't realize there is another thread taking about this Iron-X. Glad to see someone is going to try it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-shots-2.html
Old 07-15-13, 06:55 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default same...

When dealer delivered your car was there really wet tire dressing on the wheels? I suspect it's the cause. If you google it you can see many people with same problem on white cars. When you drove off tire dressing slings onto wheel well and lower car body, if it wasn't wipe off the stain will baked onto clear coat. The stains actually come from tire chemical put on by manufacturer.
yup...took my car in this morning and they already knew. They SLATHER that tire dressing right before you leave the lot. The guy said it was a combination of tire dressing and the brake dust it just cakes into the clear coat. They detailed it for about an hour and now it looks as good as new. same thing happened to my buddies white CT last year and same fix. they must be using some different tire dressing than my local car wash place... =/

just take it back to where you bought it and they'll take care of it... =)
Old 07-15-13, 07:04 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

High friction do stops better. I had high friction on 2IS and then got low dust version later. It's a trade off but it's just pita cleaning wheels every few days. It's worse on white color where dust sticks to wheel well and lower door panels.
High friction pads only improve on minimizing brake fade and changes the brake pedal feel, not stopping distance. Better tires and less mass will improve stopping distance.
Old 07-15-13, 08:00 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Brake dust actually doesn't seem that bad. After driving 30 miles today I didn't see much dust on the lower body area. I think the brakes are new so it was building up a lot before washing the car.
Old 07-15-13, 08:01 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thejaperu
yup...took my car in this morning and they already knew. They SLATHER that tire dressing right before you leave the lot. The guy said it was a combination of tire dressing and the brake dust it just cakes into the clear coat. They detailed it for about an hour and now it looks as good as new. same thing happened to my buddies white CT last year and same fix. they must be using some different tire dressing than my local car wash place... =/

just take it back to where you bought it and they'll take care of it... =)
Did you ask them what they actually done to your car to remove the stains? Just buffing it out?
Old 07-15-13, 10:02 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default i didnt... =/

Did you ask them what they actually done to your car to remove the stains? Just buffing it out?
I was in a hurry to get back to work so i didnt ask...nor did i care..lol. They got the stains out and thats all i cared about. It went to their detailer they have on site though so im assuming it was some strong stuff.
Old 07-21-13, 12:29 PM
Alius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed a lot of brake dust on my Ultra White 3IS, gets on the lower fenders and rims, can be pretty bad.

Would it be a good idea to switch to ceramic ones this early?
Old 07-21-13, 01:02 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would they have to repaint? A simple wetsand with 2000 and buffing compound should remove it. Then wax the car and they will wipe off in the future.
Old 09-03-13, 12:54 PM
blksolara
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

update - the dealer was kind enough to repaint it. It looks good but yesterday, I took my car to a local car wash spot, they put tire dressing on the tires. Is this safe? Or is it just as harmful as the stuff the dealer uses?

I don't want any new strains on my paint!!
Old 09-03-13, 01:23 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

update - the dealer was kind enough to repaint it. It looks good but yesterday, I took my car to a local car wash spot, they put tire dressing on the tires. Is this safe? Or is it just as harmful as the stuff the dealer uses?

I don't want any new strains on my paint!!
Don't take any chance hose it off. You just repainted it why would you take another chance? Very likely car wash place use polymer greasy stuff not water based.
Old 09-03-13, 01:30 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlesz
the excessive brake dust is exactly why i didn't go with white. My sales guy also told me not to get white because people always complain about the brake dust.
its not a problem if you switch to the low dust OEM pads. 2IS had the same issue.
Old 09-03-13, 03:49 PM
LexFather

On thre GS F sport a tsb went out on pads after numerous people complained and they changed pads and installed at no cost. It was a different issue, squeaky brakes.

Quick Reply: Excessive brake dust