IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
Old 12-16-14, 11:47 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

How many times have you waxed your new 3IS??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-13, 05:37 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wildtigg3r
dstopsie - how do you wash the wax off your microfiber cloths?

I soak them in water first , then rinse them really good, and wash them in my washing machine. So far it's worked very well. Don't have any wax residue.
Old 07-15-13, 05:40 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dojoman
I noticed in your signature you had so many differet IS in the past. Why did you keep changing? I thought I was the only one buying the same car. Lol
Cuz I just love them!! And the dealer makes me offers with no money down so I change them. The IS 250 meets all my needs and its so reliable. Love it and love my 3IS even more..
Old 07-15-13, 05:55 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmims2000
Just ordered the wax.. I can't wait to try it out!! The microfibers look amazing as well.. I think I'll probably order the same set as you did. I'm curious if you have any recommendations for washing and drying the car? Products you recommend? I just really want to prevent the dreaded swirl marks from showing up on that beautiful black paint.
Hi

I use a microfiber towel to wash the car. First I spray the car down, then I use a microfiber towel to wash it while the water is running. so i use the microfiber to wash the car with the water running on the cloth and car. After all this is done, i use the plush blue microfiber cloth to dry the car. they are unbelievably absorbent. I do not use these to wash the bottom panels I use a regular 100 cotton towels to wash underneath. I do not wash the car in the sun or when the hood is warm. I use the grey microfiber cloths to go over the car again. Or you can use the blue super absorbent ones. I have not found one swirl yet and then I have been using my blitz wax. Otherwise you an use a quick detailer which I have not used on this car yet. Also when I apply the blitz wax i do it with the microfiber grey cloth and not a microfiber applicator. I am really picky and haven't found any issues yet. California car cover makes quick detailer that is supposed to be very good. I actually go the Best Supreme Auto Supply and buy their quick detailer. I have used that for about 7 or 8 years and its good results. I got the quick detailer from California Car Cover but haven't used it yet

I think swirl marks are caused by the kind of towels used on the car or wash mitt. With my new car I only will use the microfiber cloths.

I know you will like blitz wax. After you do the first panel you will see how smooth your car is. And you can do multiple applications with no buildup issues.

Lmk how u like the wax!!

Oh I don't use any soaps. Just plain water
Old 07-15-13, 06:05 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you apply a coat of OC2.0, and maintain with Optimum products... makes it so much easier. I clean my MF towels with MF detergent, keeps them nice and fluffy and gets all the dirt etc. out... I don't wash or wax my car the conventional way anymore, once I applied OC2.0 and maintained with Optimum products.
Old 07-15-13, 06:47 PM
mmims2000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by dstopsie
Hi

I use a microfiber towel to wash the car. First I spray the car down, then I use a microfiber towel to wash it while the water is running. so i use the microfiber to wash the car with the water running on the cloth and car. After all this is done, i use the plush blue microfiber cloth to dry the car. they are unbelievably absorbent. I do not use these to wash the bottom panels I use a regular 100 cotton towels to wash underneath. I do not wash the car in the sun or when the hood is warm. I use the grey microfiber cloths to go over the car again. Or you can use the blue super absorbent ones. I have not found one swirl yet and then I have been using my blitz wax. Otherwise you an use a quick detailer which I have not used on this car yet. Also when I apply the blitz wax i do it with the microfiber grey cloth and not a microfiber applicator. I am really picky and haven't found any issues yet. California car cover makes quick detailer that is supposed to be very good. I actually go the Best Supreme Auto Supply and buy their quick detailer. I have used that for about 7 or 8 years and its good results. I got the quick detailer from California Car Cover but haven't used it yet

I think swirl marks are caused by the kind of towels used on the car or wash mitt. With my new car I only will use the microfiber cloths.

I know you will like blitz wax. After you do the first panel you will see how smooth your car is. And you can do multiple applications with no buildup issues.

Lmk how u like the wax!!

Oh I don't use any soaps. Just plain water
Sweet! Thanks again for the great advice! I plan to do a nice wash and wax as soon as the stuff arrives, and I'm getting window tint and Xpel clear bra later this week. I let you know how everything turns out! I was a little hesitant to do the clear bra - this will be my first - but I think It's my best defense against rocks chips and I know a great local installer who hopefully will do a great job.

P.S. You really don't use any soap???? How often do you wash your car?
Old 07-15-13, 08:12 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmims2000
Sweet! Thanks again for the great advice! I plan to do a nice wash and wax as soon as the stuff arrives, and I'm getting window tint and Xpel clear bra later this week. I let you know how everything turns out! I was a little hesitant to do the clear bra - this will be my first - but I think It's my best defense against rocks chips and I know a great local installer who hopefully will do a great job.

P.S. You really don't use any soap???? How often do you wash your car?
Nope I don't use soap. I wash my new car every week. Guilty as sometimes I do it twice. My tungsten pearl's and glacier frosty mica and my StarFire pearl I washed every 2-3 wheels cuz they didn't really show dirt. With a good coating or two of that blitz wax when I wash it with water the microfiber cloth and the water just literally glides off my car. U will see when u use that blitz wax how easy it s to apply and remove and how silky smooth your car feels. I have been doing my own cars for a great number of years and have had them professionally detailed as well. I don't detail them often anymore since I started using blitz. When u walk up to my car you can see itself in its finish

Here is a pic of the back of my car. Look closely towards the left and u can see my image there with a green shirt. I am to the left of the license plate frame. u can see my legs too. It's that shiny.
Attached Thumbnails How many times have you waxed your new 3IS??-image.jpg  
Old 07-15-13, 10:14 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Owning a new black car, you should start using a 2 bucket with grit guard method. This does not count a bucket for wheels. So you could say 3 bucket. 1 for soap, 1 for rinse, and 1 for wheels.

Get some good wash mitts. Typically I use I mitt for the top half, one for the bottom half, and one for the front if I have a few bugs that needs scrubbing. Make a pass and rinse the mitt out in the rinse bucket, then back in the soap bucket.

This will help reduce the swirl / hologram marks you see so well on dark paint.
Old 07-15-13, 10:23 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dstopsie
I soak them in water first , then rinse them really good, and wash them in my washing machine. So far it's worked very well. Don't have any wax residue.
there is a special wash you can buy just for microfiber cloths.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Micro...ent_p_126.html

House hold detergent isnt the best over time.
Old 07-16-13, 06:15 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HAYSTACK

there is a special wash you can buy just for microfiber cloths.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Micro...ent_p_126.html

House hold detergent isnt the best over time.
Agreed. I have been using this Microfiber specific detergent to wash the microfiber cloths. There are various brands but from my experience they seem to be the same light yellow liquid. I just use the liquid in the laundry washer to wash (lots of ) the microfiber cloths.

Another tip that I was told is you can use the woollite to clean the microfiber cloth. In fact, the woollite looks like microfiber detergent - light yellow liquid.

And for washing a black car, don't use circular motion, Move the wash mitt in short starlight line with sufficient foam after the initial rinse. Make sure you do a thorough rinse with clean water before you start washing the car.
Old 07-16-13, 07:15 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AndyL
Agreed. I have been using this Microfiber specific detergent to wash the microfiber cloths. There are various brands but from my experience they seem to be the same light yellow liquid. I just use the liquid in the laundry washer to wash (lots of ) the microfiber cloths.

Another tip that I was told is you can use the woollite to clean the microfiber cloth. In fact, the woollite looks like microfiber detergent - light yellow liquid.

And for washing a black car, don't use circular motion, Move the wash mitt in short starlight line with sufficient foam after the initial rinse. Make sure you do a thorough rinse with clean water before you start washing the car.
I will not use any kind of wash mitt on my car. None of the ones I found are as soft as the microfiber cloths I got at the car detail speciality shop I buy my supplies from. Even the worker there told me those cloths I use are best to wash it. I already use woollite to wash them in the machine. I have been going there fpr 20+years and they have never steered me wrong and this is the 6th black car i have owned. But I rinse them out and soak them in plain water first. Then throw then in the
Machine to wash.
Old 07-16-13, 07:35 AM
Timmah
Driver

always use car wash soap. Never use dawn or dish washing soap that will stip all the wax off the car. Unless you wanted to strip the wax off to reapply.
Old 07-16-13, 08:16 AM
wildtigg3r
Driver School Candidate

Question - Would you detail your car first then install a clear bra? or vice versa?

Thanks.
Old 07-16-13, 10:31 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wildtigg3r
Question - Would you detail your car first then install a clear bra? or vice versa?

Thanks.
I would detail the car, finish with a good wax or sealant, then clear bra on top. Did that to all the cars I owned which have clear bra.

In fact, the film will lay down better on a smooth, clean and waxed surface during the installation.
Old 07-16-13, 10:58 AM
alopez
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

EXTERIOR

Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner (EVERY WEEK)

ScratchX® 2.0 (EVERY WEEK)

ScratchX® 2.0 (ONE A MONTH ONLY)

ScratchX® 2.0 (ONE EVERY 3 MONTH ONLY)

MY FAVORITES WAX

Cleaner Wax - Paste (ONE EVERY WEEK)

Gold Class™ Carnauba Plus Paste Wax (ONE EVERY WEEK)

White Wax (ONE EVERY WEEK)

INTERIOR

Ultimate Protectant Spray (ONE EVERY WEEK)

Meguiar's Gold Class™ Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner Gel (ONE EVERY WEEK)

TIRES

Endurance® Tire Gel (ONE EVERY WEEK)
Old 07-16-13, 12:16 PM
Timmah
Driver

alopez has the right track. Also on the high endurance tire gel a little goes a long way and once you apply take a hair dryer to it and it dries on better and doesn't fling as bad.

Quick Reply: How many times have you waxed your new 3IS??