Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Auto dimming exterior mirrors

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-13, 04:22 PM   #1
dojoman
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)
 
dojoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California
Posts: 2,358
Default Auto dimming exterior mirrors

I noticed this in my window sticker that auto dimming exterior mirrors comes with BSM rear cross traffic option but I could not verify this on Lexus website.
Does it actually come with this option or it's a mistake on the sticker? I haven't driven at night so I cannot confirm it.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
dojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 07:23 PM   #2
kabgolf1
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 385
Default

I believe this is correct. When I ordered, the BSM option stated the same. If you think about it, it makes sense as Lexus would not have to produce both the regular mirrors and auto dimming with BSM.
kabgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 07:56 PM   #3
dstopsie
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
dstopsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 416
Default

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. But what r auto dimming mirrors and how do u know u ave them?? I have bsm also and I need to check my window sticker to see if it says my car as them
dstopsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 08:07 PM   #4
corradoMR2
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
corradoMR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 3,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstopsie View Post
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. But what r auto dimming mirrors and how do u know u ave them?? I have bsm also and I need to check my window sticker to see if it says my car as them
Basically it reduces glare from cars' headlights reflected from your mirrors. It greatly reduces eye strain driving at night. I believe you have a button on the rear view mirror to enable/disable it so test it at night and you'll see the difference.
__________________

___________________________________________________________________________
2014 IS250 AWD F-Sport, 2013 RX350 F-Sport, On Order: 2015 NX200t F-Sport
IS Build Thread: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/buil...ng-thread.html
Previous: 2011 CT, 2008 IS AWD, 2007 RXh, 2004 RX
corradoMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 10:11 PM   #5
dojoman
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)
 
dojoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California
Posts: 2,358
Default

It's a nice feature. My 2IS did not have this except rear view mirror only. Glare from side mirrors are quite bad when driving at night. Too many suv on the road.
dojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 01:13 AM   #6
r0shiro
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
r0shiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 504
https://www.facebook.com/richie.oshiro r0shiro
Default tint...

personally i cant stand looking at that green lit indicator telling me my dimming feature is on. turning the auto dimming off is one of the first things i do when i start the car. I probably do that before putting on my seatbelt...lol. i also cant stand that auto dimming gives headlights behind you that greenish hue...so how do you solve this?

tint...20% or less...its a godsend...

question - does anyone know if i can re-program my auto dim option so that when my car starts the auto dimming is set to off vs on?

Thanks...
__________________
Richie O.
'14 IS 350 F-Sport
r0shiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 09:30 PM   #7
LSIII
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaperu View Post
personally i cant stand looking at that green lit indicator telling me my dimming feature is on. turning the auto dimming off is one of the first things i do when i start the car. I probably do that before putting on my seatbelt...lol. i also cant stand that auto dimming gives headlights behind you that greenish hue...so how do you solve this?

tint...20% or less...its a godsend...

question - does anyone know if i can re-program my auto dim option so that when my car starts the auto dimming is set to off vs on?

Thanks...
No, there is not a way to make the mirror to default to 'OFF', which is typical of most car brands as Gentex makes the auto-dim mirrors for most auto brands. Some car brands don't even have an On/Off button at all. After a while you don't even notice the green indicator light.
__________________
2010 IS250-A/T Tungsten Pearl/Black
LSIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 11:56 PM   #8
r0shiro
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
r0shiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 504
https://www.facebook.com/richie.oshiro r0shiro
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSIII View Post
No, there is not a way to make the mirror to default to 'OFF', which is typical of most car brands as Gentex makes the auto-dim mirrors for most auto brands. Some car brands don't even have an On/Off button at all. After a while you don't even notice the green indicator light.
thanks @LSIII

its not the indicator that bothers so much...i just don't like that it makes every car behind look like they have green headlights...lol.

@dojoman i didnt know the BSM was tied to the auto dimming side mirrors. i drive with BSM off and the auto dimming feature seams to work regardless on the side view mirrors.
__________________
Richie O.
'14 IS 350 F-Sport
r0shiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-13, 09:57 AM   #9
dojoman
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)
 
dojoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California
Posts: 2,358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaperu View Post
thanks @LSIII

its not the indicator that bothers so much...i just don't like that it makes every car behind look like they have green headlights...lol.

@dojoman i didnt know the BSM was tied to the auto dimming side mirrors. i drive with BSM off and the auto dimming feature seams to work regardless on the side view mirrors.
BSM isn't tied to auto dimming. You have to turn off the button next to green light on rear view mirror to turn off auto dimming for side mirrors and rear view mirror.
dojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 10:00 PM   #10
IS3Fguy
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 149
Default

does the auto dimming works on side mirrors only, or also on the rear view mirror as well?

Tonight, I turned it off and on, but didn't see the difference on my rear view mirror. I didn't pay attention to the side mirrors since I just learned now that my side mirrors have auto dimming feature.
IS3Fguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 11:28 PM   #11
jhs82
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
jhs82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 616
Default

Rear view mirror or all mirrors depending on equipment package.
__________________
Johan Sällman
2014 IS 300h "Alexis" Nebula grey / black + all options

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegresS View Post
most people don't read the signatures- might as well say "banana banana banana"
jhs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-14, 02:47 AM   #12
Oxytocin
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 175
Default

How much different is the BSM with cross-traffic compared to BSM?

I have the F-Sport with means it only came with BSM, but I feel like I still get cross-traffic alerts? When I back up and a car comes from my left or right I'll get an alert, it'll flash and beep three times. I actually thought I had BSM with cross-traffic until tonight.

They should put BSM with cross-traffic in the F-Sports since those don't have park assist.
Oxytocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-14, 06:33 AM   #13
doodlebug
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
doodlebug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: TN
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxytocin View Post
How much different is the BSM with cross-traffic compared to BSM?

I have the F-Sport with means it only came with BSM, but I feel like I still get cross-traffic alerts? When I back up and a car comes from my left or right I'll get an alert, it'll flash and beep three times. I actually thought I had BSM with cross-traffic until tonight.

They should put BSM with cross-traffic in the F-Sports since those don't have park assist.
My F-Sport has BSM with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert. Check your paperwork again, it should be listed. The beeping that you hear is cross traffic alert.
__________________
2014 IS 350 F-Sport RWD
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-14, 06:39 AM   #14
vgsison
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Jersey
Posts: 49
Default

Too bad BSM is not part of standard issue here in my country. I would have wanted one in mine.
vgsison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-14, 07:00 AM   #15
jhs82
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
jhs82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 616
Default

Aren't all BSM with cross traffic alert?
It's the same sensors for both functions.
__________________
Johan Sällman
2014 IS 300h "Alexis" Nebula grey / black + all options

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegresS View Post
most people don't read the signatures- might as well say "banana banana banana"
jhs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-14, 07:00 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automatic Dimming High Beams thedon3 RX - Third Generation 49 12-22-13 06:01 PM
Do the outside mirrors dim? mshumack RX - First Generation 8 12-09-13 04:13 AM
Auto-dimming exterior mirrors JH48 GS - Third Generation 3 06-23-11 02:40 AM
Elecrtocromatic (Auto-Dimming) Outside Mirror. PFB ES300 and ES330 4 08-31-10 09:27 PM
Auto dimming outside mirrors?? psp ES350 (2007 - 2012) 13 12-12-06 05:45 PM


Tags
2014, 570, auto, automatically, dim, dimming, es350, exterior, lexus, lights, lx, mirror, mirrors, turn, working

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:35 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info