IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Auto dimming exterior mirrors

Old 07-11-13, 03:22 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Auto dimming exterior mirrors

I noticed this in my window sticker that auto dimming exterior mirrors comes with BSM rear cross traffic option but I could not verify this on Lexus website.
Does it actually come with this option or it's a mistake on the sticker? I haven't driven at night so I cannot confirm it.
Old 07-11-13, 06:23 PM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe this is correct. When I ordered, the BSM option stated the same. If you think about it, it makes sense as Lexus would not have to produce both the regular mirrors and auto dimming with BSM.
Old 07-11-13, 06:56 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. But what r auto dimming mirrors and how do u know u ave them?? I have bsm also and I need to check my window sticker to see if it says my car as them
Old 07-11-13, 07:07 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by dstopsie
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. But what r auto dimming mirrors and how do u know u ave them?? I have bsm also and I need to check my window sticker to see if it says my car as them
Basically it reduces glare from cars' headlights reflected from your mirrors. It greatly reduces eye strain driving at night. I believe you have a button on the rear view mirror to enable/disable it so test it at night and you'll see the difference.
Old 07-11-13, 09:11 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

It's a nice feature. My 2IS did not have this except rear view mirror only. Glare from side mirrors are quite bad when driving at night. Too many suv on the road.
Old 07-12-13, 12:13 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default tint...

personally i cant stand looking at that green lit indicator telling me my dimming feature is on. turning the auto dimming off is one of the first things i do when i start the car. I probably do that before putting on my seatbelt...lol. i also cant stand that auto dimming gives headlights behind you that greenish hue...so how do you solve this?

tint...20% or less...its a godsend...

question - does anyone know if i can re-program my auto dim option so that when my car starts the auto dimming is set to off vs on?

Thanks...
Old 07-12-13, 08:30 PM
LSIII
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thejaperu
personally i cant stand looking at that green lit indicator telling me my dimming feature is on. turning the auto dimming off is one of the first things i do when i start the car. I probably do that before putting on my seatbelt...lol. i also cant stand that auto dimming gives headlights behind you that greenish hue...so how do you solve this?

tint...20% or less...its a godsend...

question - does anyone know if i can re-program my auto dim option so that when my car starts the auto dimming is set to off vs on?

Thanks...
No, there is not a way to make the mirror to default to 'OFF', which is typical of most car brands as Gentex makes the auto-dim mirrors for most auto brands. Some car brands don't even have an On/Off button at all. After a while you don't even notice the green indicator light.
Old 07-12-13, 10:56 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSIII
No, there is not a way to make the mirror to default to 'OFF', which is typical of most car brands as Gentex makes the auto-dim mirrors for most auto brands. Some car brands don't even have an On/Off button at all. After a while you don't even notice the green indicator light.
thanks @LSIII

its not the indicator that bothers so much...i just don't like that it makes every car behind look like they have green headlights...lol.

@dojoman i didnt know the BSM was tied to the auto dimming side mirrors. i drive with BSM off and the auto dimming feature seams to work regardless on the side view mirrors.
Old 07-13-13, 08:57 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thejaperu
thanks @LSIII

its not the indicator that bothers so much...i just don't like that it makes every car behind look like they have green headlights...lol.

@dojoman i didnt know the BSM was tied to the auto dimming side mirrors. i drive with BSM off and the auto dimming feature seams to work regardless on the side view mirrors.
BSM isn't tied to auto dimming. You have to turn off the button next to green light on rear view mirror to turn off auto dimming for side mirrors and rear view mirror.
Old 05-30-14, 09:00 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does the auto dimming works on side mirrors only, or also on the rear view mirror as well?

Tonight, I turned it off and on, but didn't see the difference on my rear view mirror. I didn't pay attention to the side mirrors since I just learned now that my side mirrors have auto dimming feature.
Old 05-30-14, 10:28 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Rear view mirror or all mirrors depending on equipment package.
Old 05-31-14, 01:47 AM
Oxytocin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much different is the BSM with cross-traffic compared to BSM?

I have the F-Sport with means it only came with BSM, but I feel like I still get cross-traffic alerts? When I back up and a car comes from my left or right I'll get an alert, it'll flash and beep three times. I actually thought I had BSM with cross-traffic until tonight.

They should put BSM with cross-traffic in the F-Sports since those don't have park assist.
Old 05-31-14, 05:33 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Oxytocin
How much different is the BSM with cross-traffic compared to BSM?

I have the F-Sport with means it only came with BSM, but I feel like I still get cross-traffic alerts? When I back up and a car comes from my left or right I'll get an alert, it'll flash and beep three times. I actually thought I had BSM with cross-traffic until tonight.

They should put BSM with cross-traffic in the F-Sports since those don't have park assist.
My F-Sport has BSM with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert. Check your paperwork again, it should be listed. The beeping that you hear is cross traffic alert.
Old 05-31-14, 05:39 AM
vgsison
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad BSM is not part of standard issue here in my country. I would have wanted one in mine.
Old 05-31-14, 06:00 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Aren't all BSM with cross traffic alert?
It's the same sensors for both functions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto dimming exterior mirrors