Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Well the IS300h is no slouch!

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-13, 03:38 AM   #16
Alantjai
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 271
Default

The altezza is indeed way lighter, so we weren't surprised about that. The is300h got 5/6k miles on it as it is a demo of a lexus dealer.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Alantjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 06:01 AM   #17
greenislex
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: london
Posts: 15
Default

i am surprised to be honest
greenislex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 06:50 AM   #18
Mr Bond
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: europe
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alantjai View Post
The altezza is indeed way lighter, so we weren't surprised about that. The is300h got 5/6k miles on it as it is a demo of a lexus dealer.
I have bought four Lexuses brand new , and everyone of them needed 10 000 miles ( or minimum 15000 km ) to loosen up .And the difference is pretty huge in my opinion . There is at least one oil change before you reach estimatded consumption and performance. Especially the hybrids, simply because they donīt use the engine so much as a regular car in every day driving.
Mr Bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-13, 11:17 PM   #19
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 810
Default

Test drove IS300H few weeks ago and felt quite disappointed--engine and drivetrain wise.

Engine has NOOOO soul. It act pretty much like the electric motor.

Sound effect made by in-car stereo system is so synthetic, unreal and unrelated to actual rev of the engine. If you are a real driver, you will be able to catch its fault within 30 minutes of driving the car.

The electric motor has nice torque but cut in with inturruption of power. I mean you will feel it when it is cutting in to help boost the performance of the gasoline engine. The car will halt for a second or two then you can feel the power of electric motor kicking in and pull you forward. It just doesn't feel natural. It feel like two power houses not working in harmony.

It is not that faster than my IS250. It just feel more torquey when the motor kicks in. Otherwise It just feel like I am driving a 2.5 Toyota Camry.

However, the interior, the exterior, suspension, handling, brake feel and driving refinement is quite an improvement over 2IS.

For me, I am waiting for an arrival of Toyota/Lexus' new era 2.0 liter four cylinder direct injection turbo. Just like Merc and BMW currently doing to their products. This engine should deliver be fun and economic at the same time.
SCWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-13, 08:34 AM   #20
rayaans
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
rayaans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: West Yorkshire
Posts: 622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWB View Post
Test drove IS300H few weeks ago and felt quite disappointed--engine and drivetrain wise.

Engine has NOOOO soul. It act pretty much like the electric motor.

Sound effect made by in-car stereo system is so synthetic, unreal and unrelated to actual rev of the engine. If you are a real driver, you will be able to catch its fault within 30 minutes of driving the car.

The electric motor has nice torque but cut in with inturruption of power. I mean you will feel it when it is cutting in to help boost the performance of the gasoline engine. The car will halt for a second or two then you can feel the power of electric motor kicking in and pull you forward. It just doesn't feel natural. It feel like two power houses not working in harmony.

It is not that faster than my IS250. It just feel more torquey when the motor kicks in. Otherwise It just feel like I am driving a 2.5 Toyota Camry.

However, the interior, the exterior, suspension, handling, brake feel and driving refinement is quite an improvement over 2IS.

For me, I am waiting for an arrival of Toyota/Lexus' new era 2.0 liter four cylinder direct injection turbo. Just like Merc and BMW currently doing to their products. This engine should deliver be fun and economic at the same time.
Wow. My experience with the IS300h, which I actually drove properly today was completely the opposite. I felt it was DEFINITELY faster than the IS250. It feels stronger and there is no such interruption when the power source changed from the engine to the electric motor. It was perfectly seamless. Much akin to the GS450h and RX450h, with less power. But it was more than adequate. Ive got one coming for a weekend test drive to test it properly.

Looks like you were driving a car which hadnt been properly broken into yet.
__________________
rayaans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-13, 08:27 PM   #21
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: BKK
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayaans View Post
Wow. My experience with the IS300h, which I actually drove properly today was completely the opposite. I felt it was DEFINITELY faster than the IS250. It feels stronger and there is no such interruption when the power source changed from the engine to the electric motor. It was perfectly seamless. Much akin to the GS450h and RX450h, with less power. But it was more than adequate. Ive got one coming for a weekend test drive to test it properly.

Looks like you were driving a car which hadnt been properly broken into yet.
Yeah, the car was very new, may be not properly broken in.


The power inturruption was most apparent when I stomped the accelerator pedal all the way down. It felt like one-to-two seconds hesitation then the car launched off. And when I floored it, the engine rev just shot up to the high rpm (5-6 rpm) and hung there all the time until I eased off the pedal. It doesn't have proper gear ratio as conventional auto box. Combinded torque (Engine+Motor) is quite nice on the 300H, I admit. You can feel a nice hard pull from the torque but that doesn't tranlate into quicker acceleration. I just felt unnatural with power delivery of this hybird genre compared to diesel or gasoline turbo engine or a big displacement V8. May be I expected too much.

The car is good overall though, it just can't live up to its "Sport Sedan" hype because of power configuration and drivetrain design (damn CVT)
SCWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-13, 11:45 PM   #22
Nextourer
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 3,982
Default

The PSD will also allow the IS300h to do passing manoeuvres (80-120km/h) much faster than any automatic of a similar class. If it did that test with the C250 CDI, the results would be just as dramatic.
__________________
2010 Prius Technology Package
Nextourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-13, 02:31 AM   #23
rayaans
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
rayaans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: West Yorkshire
Posts: 622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWB View Post
Yeah, the car was very new, may be not properly broken in.


The power inturruption was most apparent when I stomped the accelerator pedal all the way down. It felt like one-to-two seconds hesitation then the car launched off. And when I floored it, the engine rev just shot up to the high rpm (5-6 rpm) and hung there all the time until I eased off the pedal. It doesn't have proper gear ratio as conventional auto box. Combinded torque (Engine+Motor) is quite nice on the 300H, I admit. You can feel a nice hard pull from the torque but that doesn't tranlate into quicker acceleration. I just felt unnatural with power delivery of this hybird genre compared to diesel or gasoline turbo engine or a big displacement V8. May be I expected too much.

The car is good overall though, it just can't live up to its "Sport Sedan" hype because of power configuration and drivetrain design (damn CVT)
Bare in mind that Lexus says about 5k for break in here in the UK. However, I feel like my car has just been broken in and im at 12k. Everything seems to be very very good now. At first it was slightly hesitant and not perfectly seamless.

Yes, the CVT's in Lexus vehicles are not stepped CVT's. Audi uses stepped CVT's in some models which actually feel no different to conventional automatics and are in a different league. The thing is, it feels unnatural but you have to get used to it. Its like flying a jumbo jet after flying a 2 seater plane. Its different but you get used to it and after that, youll learn to like the power delivery, its like an endless surge of power with no shifting.
__________________
rayaans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-13, 03:18 AM   #24
UpSideDown
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
UpSideDown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SE
Posts: 581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWB View Post
The car is good overall though, it just can't live up to its "Sport Sedan" hype because of power configuration and drivetrain design (damn CVT)
Agree with you on that.

@rayaans

I think you can get use to anything if you give it some time.
UpSideDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-13, 06:23 AM   #25
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 15,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayaans View Post
Bare in mind that Lexus says about 5k for break in here in the UK. However, I feel like my car has just been broken in and im at 12k. Everything seems to be very very good now. At first it was slightly hesitant and not perfectly seamless.

Yes, the CVT's in Lexus vehicles are not stepped CVT's. Audi uses stepped CVT's in some models which actually feel no different to conventional automatics and are in a different league. The thing is, it feels unnatural but you have to get used to it. Its like flying a jumbo jet after flying a 2 seater plane. Its different but you get used to it and after that, youll learn to like the power delivery, its like an endless surge of power with no shifting.
they are not CVT's at all... they have 2 electric motors built into them, a lot more different than multitronic or S-CVT that Toyota uses.
__________________
- 07 Lexus GS350 AWD
spwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-13, 07:57 AM   #26
UpSideDown
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
UpSideDown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SE
Posts: 581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf View Post
they are not CVT's at all... they have 2 electric motors built into them, a lot more different than multitronic or S-CVT that Toyota uses.
The transmission calls E-CVT.
UpSideDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-13, 07:57 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
300h, c250, cdi, is300h, lexus, slouch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NX Automotive Reviews Thread hypervish NX Models 285 09-29-14 08:12 AM
soarer vs s14 silvia poorawls SC 400/300 3 10-15-13 08:55 PM
New LF-CC video Whitigir Car Chat 7 06-09-13 12:11 AM
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D official trailer BrettJacks The Clubhouse 2 05-17-13 04:55 AM
Eye candy in motion HKS GT Supercharger for LS460 Haole702 LS460, LS460L and LS600h 12 01-20-13 03:54 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:26 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info