IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport vs. 2013 BMW 335i Xdrive M Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 05:50 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
There is certainly a value to that, and that's what makes the 3IS (f-sport) situation so frustrating to a consumer like myself. I like the level of reliability and service I have received as a Lexus customer and I'm not so sure I'd get that by jumping ship to a 335 or ATS or G50. But [for me] the 2014 IS leaves quite a lot to be desired.

I don't expect the 3IS to beat it's competition in every metric imaginable, that would be unrealistic. But I don't think it's unreasonable to want to buy a 2014 IS and at least have the ability to option it out the same way or better than my 2006 IS. I also don't think it's unreasonable to want a power plant that can out perform my 7 year old one, and as it stands now, the 3IS can't even match it.
I feel your pain and am empathetic. Must be frustrating. I suspect that for whatever reason Lexus doesn't want to break the 50K barrier with the IS in the US. Also, manufacturers seem to be going with the package approach like Acura has done for years. Probably has to do with greater manufacturing efficiency, less waste, and greater margins in a package as opposed to selling options one by one. The use of the engine is not surprising -- keeps cost down but more than that -- Japanese brands are known for reliability -- that's what separates them from the Germans in the eye's of the public. Better to be conservative with offerings if that's the case.

Heck, Acura is still using the same engine and it was using a 5 speed when others were at 6,7, 8 speeds -- cuz they knew it worked imo. Infiniti is a brand trying to compete on features with the Germans. Their Q50 is on dealers lots but no testing has been done by the usual magazines and the cars can't be released until the 5th. That car has the same engine too. I just read a review of the Q50 by a G37 owner -- underwhelming. He said that a number of features weren't working even though the lights indicated they were working. How about a car like that? Whizbang -- some day -- after the beta owners provide enough feedback through their pain for Infiniti to optimize. That's what's going on you know. I've been a 1st mover on enough new products to know that 1st movers are the canaries in the coal mine. Lexus rolled out a new gen moderately -- not cutting edge but not asking anyone to pay 50K to do their ongoing testing for them. Very honest of them imo.
Old 07-17-13, 05:53 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by natnut
Well said. Peace of mind is one important aspect of a luxury experience as well.
Thank you.
Old 07-17-13, 07:55 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd rather have something proven and a little "dated" than pay out the nose for the "privilege" of being a beta-tester for the latest-and-greatest. Sure, the new IS350 and GS350 can't outrun the new V6 Accords, but it's about so much more than that for me.

They're still plenty quick, but it's the refinement and quality I'm interested in. Guess I'm getting old
Old 07-17-13, 09:14 AM
pinipig523
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
I'd rather have something proven and a little "dated" than pay out the nose for the "privilege" of being a beta-tester for the latest-and-greatest. Sure, the new IS350 and GS350 can't outrun the new V6 Accords, but it's about so much more than that for me.

They're still plenty quick, but it's the refinement and quality I'm interested in. Guess I'm getting old

The new accords are that quick??
Old 07-17-13, 09:15 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Glashub
I feel your pain and am empathetic. Must be frustrating. I suspect that for whatever reason Lexus doesn't want to break the 50K barrier with the IS in the US. Also, manufacturers seem to be going with the package approach like Acura has done for years. Probably has to do with greater manufacturing efficiency, less waste, and greater margins in a package as opposed to selling options one by one. The use of the engine is not surprising -- keeps cost down but more than that -- Japanese brands are known for reliability -- that's what separates them from the Germans in the eye's of the public. Better to be conservative with offerings if that's the case.

Heck, Acura is still using the same engine and it was using a 5 speed when others were at 6,7, 8 speeds -- cuz they knew it worked imo. Infiniti is a brand trying to compete on features with the Germans. Their Q50 is on dealers lots but no testing has been done by the usual magazines and the cars can't be released until the 5th. That car has the same engine too. I just read a review of the Q50 by a G37 owner -- underwhelming. He said that a number of features weren't working even though the lights indicated they were working. How about a car like that? Whizbang -- some day -- after the beta owners provide enough feedback through their pain for Infiniti to optimize. That's what's going on you know. I've been a 1st mover on enough new products to know that 1st movers are the canaries in the coal mine. Lexus rolled out a new gen moderately -- not cutting edge but not asking anyone to pay 50K to do their ongoing testing for them. Very honest of them imo.
Q50 may save the same engine, but its far better optioned than the 3IS and G37. 3IS has the same engine and is lacking in options to all its competitors, and a 2IS. The engine in the Q50 started out as a 3.5 when the 2IS as introduced and received a displacement bump, so even though its the same engine, it has improved over the years.
Old 07-17-13, 09:39 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Q50 may save the same engine, but its far better optioned than the 3IS and G37. 3IS has the same engine and is lacking in options to all its competitors, and a 2IS. The engine in the Q50 started out as a 3.5 when the 2IS as introduced and received a displacement bump, so even though its the same engine, it has improved over the years.
In light of everything I wrote you focus on the engine and options. The Q50 options are sold in packages. They too are using Nuluxe on all but one package. What's your point? Your beating a dead horse and then shooting it.

I wish I could drink and eat like Anthony Bourdain but I can't. I wish I had a life like Mick Jagger but I can't. I wish I could option an IS exactly as I like it but I can't. So I deal with what I have.
Old 07-17-13, 09:40 AM
Stillhart
Rookie

Originally Posted by pinipig523
^^^ What he said!

If that's truly the case, all they have to do now is hand them back to the designer from the 90's and make them start looking good again! lol
Old 07-17-13, 11:03 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pinipig523
Originally Posted by Stillhart
^^^ What he said!

If that's truly the case, all they have to do now is hand them back to the designer from the 90's and make them start looking good again! lol
Um yes, that was not a joke. C&D clocked the new Accord V6 at 0-60 in 5.6!!

I'm actually a huge fan of the new Accord, it looks great, is packaged great, and actually performs great. Obviously nowhere near an IS350 or GS350 as an overall car and ownership experience, but they are no slouch!

Numbers from C&D:

2013 Accord V6:

Zero to 60 mph: 5.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.9 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 21.2 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 5.9 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.3 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.1 sec @ 101 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 125 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 178 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.82 g

GS350 F Sport:

Zero to 60 mph: 5.5 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.7 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 5.8 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.2 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 3.4 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.1 sec @ 102 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 142 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 160 ft
Roadholding, 200-ft-dia skidpad: 0.89 g

2014 IS350 F Sport :

0–60 MPH 5.6 sec
0–100 MPH 13.5 sec
0–130 MPH 25.9 sec
¼-Mile @ MPH 14.0 sec @ 102
Rolling Start, 5–60 MPH 6.2 sec
Top Gear, 30–50 MPH 3.2 sec
Top Gear, 50–70 MPH 3.9 sec
Top Speed 143 mph (drag ltd, mfr's claim)
Braking 70–0 MPH 177 feet
Roadholding, 200-ft-dia Skidpad 0.85 g

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed in the IS350's numbers. They're inferior to the larger GS. I think it's pretty clear there is no performance advantage in the 8-speed (at least tuned the way it is with this 3.5L v6), so that's why Lexus didn't bother using it on the GS. In fact, it could be argued that the 6-speed in the GS is superior! I mean look at the 5-60 and 50-70 difference between the 2 Lexus models. The IS should have the advantage, but it really does not. But....I think that makes my upcoming choice a little easier.

Last edited by SecPole14; 07-17-13 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-17-13, 12:19 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

In light of everything I wrote you focus on the engine and options. The Q50 options are sold in packages. They too are using Nuluxe on all but one package. What's your point? Your beating a dead horse and then shooting it.

I wish I could drink and eat like Anthony Bourdain but I can't. I wish I had a life like Mick Jagger but I can't. I wish I could option an IS exactly as I like it but I can't. So I deal with what I have.
I'm actually not sure what YOUR point is... My point is the Q has more options and you retort by saying the same thing... If it wasn't clear, that IS my point. The Q has more options available, it coming in packages is irrelevant. There are more bells and whistles in their packages and they don't gimp said packages if you chose a Q50 Sport. That includes the option for leather.

I cant option the IS the way I want, true enough. What I'm left with is to either complain about it or spend $50k on a car that doesn't have what I want. We chose different paths.
Old 07-17-13, 12:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm actually not sure what YOUR point is... My point is the Q has more options and you retort by saying the same thing... If it wasn't clear, that IS my point. The Q has more options available, it coming in packages is irrelevant. There are more bells and whistles in their packages and they don't gimp said packages if you chose a Q50 Sport. That includes the option for leather.

I cant option the IS the way I want, true enough. What I'm left with is to either complain about it or spend $50k on a car that doesn't have what I want. We chose different paths.
Q50 Sport is nothing like F-Sport... so no, they dont have more options. What you are saying is that if Lexus never offered F-Sport, there would be more options.
Old 07-17-13, 12:38 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

I gave you reasons as to why there aren't more options and why the engine is the same. You chose not to discuss them. You point out that this is a discussion forum -- I offer up fodder for discussion -- but you fall back on the same song -- other cars are better.

My point is that I'm sorry the world isn't doing enough to make you happy. But that's the way life is. A new engine and options galore will not bring you lasting peace and happiness.

Last edited by Glashub; 07-17-13 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-17-13, 12:54 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Q50 Sport is nothing like F-Sport... so no, they dont have more options. What you are saying is that if Lexus never offered F-Sport, there would be more options.
Actually, what I'm saying is the Q50 sport doesn't gimp on options and F-sport does. But yours is one way of looking at it if you want to make excuses for it.

I gave you reasons as to why there aren't more options and why the engine is the same. You chose not to discuss them. You point out that this is a discussion forum -- I offer up fodder for discussion -- but you fall back on the same song -- other cars are better.

My point is that I'm sorry the world isn't doing enough to make you happy. But that's the way life is. A new engine and options galore will not bring you lasting peace and happiness.
Except you didn't. You said "they are packages" as if that's suppose to mean something. But lets play it your way... Q50 sport has an option package that includes fog lights, leather and rain sensing wipers. There is a lot more, but I'll just keep it at those for simplicity sake. Pray tell what f-sport option "package" includes those?
Old 07-17-13, 03:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Actually, what I'm saying is the Q50 sport doesn't gimp on options and F-sport does. But yours is one way of looking at it if you want to make excuses for it.
there is no excuses... if you get luxury IS350, it doesnt gimp on options either.

Q50 does not have equivalent model to F-Sport.

So how can IS350 have less options when Q50 doesnt even have F-Sport-type model at all. F-Sport is one big additional model range that Q50 simply does not have.
Old 07-17-13, 04:24 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Who cares, Ramon? Go buy an Infiniti or a BMW or have your parents buy it for you. Clearly you don't like the 2014 Lexus. fair enough. God Bless you then. And as spwolf has pointed out Infiniti doesn't have an F-sport.

"Except you didn't. You said "they are packages" as if that's suppose to mean something. But lets play it your way... Q50 sport has an option package that includes fog lights, leather and rain sensing wipers. There is a lot more, but I'll just keep it at those for simplicity sake. Pray tell what f-sport option "package" includes those?"

I have no clue what your quote means. Go through the reg path here, click submit and you can have the options you want -- as long as its part of the "Select Package" Infiniti offers, https://www.infinitiusa.com/all-new-q50/build/

I want to thank you personally for bottoming me out on this forum. There are people like you on every forum who show up to inject negativity disguised as genuine concern and passion -- and it's just a reminder of how little real discussion is done.

Last edited by Glashub; 07-17-13 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-17-13, 07:26 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is no excuses... if you get luxury IS350, it doesnt gimp on options either.

Q50 does not have equivalent model to F-Sport.

So how can IS350 have less options when Q50 doesnt even have F-Sport-type model at all. F-Sport is one big additional model range that Q50 simply does not have.
Q50 has a sport and a non-sport version. I'm not sure what your point is. No one has "f-sport" except Lexus, just like no one has "s line" except Audi, and no one has M except BMW. What you're saying would be like me saying you can compare an AMG E63 to an M5 because the M5 isn't an AMG. If you want to tell yourself the vehicles aren't comparable because of how Lexus decides to market it's sports line, thats fine. I assure you this isn't the first and it won't be the last time a Q50 sport is compared to an F-Sport, and it will never be an illegitimate comparison.

I want to thank you personally for bottoming me out on this forum. There are people like you on every forum who show up to inject negativity disguised as genuine concern and passion -- and it's just a reminder of how little real discussion is done.
You're welcome? Not really sure what to tell you or what your issue is, but if you can't discuss a vehicle without getting emotionally worked up turning it personal by bringing other people parents into the conversation, it's probably a good thing. I keep my criticisms limited to threads that are comparing the IS to other vehicles in it's class and I keep it limited to the vehicle.

Last edited by Ramon; 07-17-13 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport vs. 2013 BMW 335i Xdrive M Sport