IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why did you choose an IS over a Q50?

Old 07-10-13, 01:38 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yeah, IS actually has more advanced tech there.... so I am confused what more tech Infiniti has?
It can be argued if there's more tech overall, but one can say "enhanced" on the Q50 in two of the safety techs I can think of:

1. Around view monitoring (360 deg cameras vs IS rear camera only)
2. Active Lane Control (nudges steering back in lane vs IS Lane Departure Alert which is an audible alert only)
Old 07-10-13, 04:37 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be in the market for a new vehicle relatively soon, probably around October of 2014 and as things are now, it would be very difficult to choose the IS over the Q

The benefits of the IS is that I'll get tried and true Lexus reliability and service, and I do prefer the EXTERIOR styling better.

Infiniti had a very novel concept with the Q50... They have a sports version, like Lexus. With OPTIONS! These options include things like leather, wood, rain sensing wipers, fog lights, and the list goes on. A RWD Q50 Sport can be fully loaded and still have an MSRP of under $53k
Old 07-10-13, 07:33 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Direct Adaptive Steering sounds like just another name for VGRS which is available in the IS350 F-Sport. VGRS can be changed between Normal and Sport+ mode in the IS350 F-Sport so the IS doesn't lose out in the steering adjustablity.

Even better, the IS350 F-Sport has AVS -- adjustable adaptive shocks which isn't available in the Q50
Actually this is not the same thing. In the Q50's optional Direct Adaptive Steering,there is no physical linkage between the steering wheel and the wheels. There are three computers (for fail safe) and some sensors to monitor the driver's driving input. More on the link.. It is a world first application on a consumer car....it changes the fundamental of how steering works.

See the video below. It was linked from the freshalloy.com

Last edited by AndyL; 07-10-13 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-10-13, 07:56 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impressive technology. Almost like having a "gyro" on a car. Might have to test drive a Q50 and feel it in action.
Old 07-10-13, 11:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Why did you choose an IS over a Q50?
I haven't but here's why I would. Simply interior. The 3IS sought to take on one major thing: "fun to drive", although that's inspiring coming from Lexus, that doesn't cut it for a "Luxury" manufacturer. Sadly the Q50 has much more attractive materials than the 3IS - and no we're not talking about design which is subjective folks - cabin materials. Clear cost cutting is still plaguing the Lexus brand on anything sub $50K. But I must say to Infiniti's credit considering their past, the Q50 is a step in the right direction so well done

Originally Posted by Stillhart
Every time I see the interior of an Infinity, it looks just plasticy and janky. I didn't even bother considering them this time around.
Sounds like you're just making a generality. I don't think you've seen the new Q50 vs the old G or even the new JX/QX60 then. They actually have quality cabin materials. I suggest seeing them in person vs inter web pictures
Old 07-11-13, 12:22 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I haven't but here's why I would. Simply interior. The 3IS sought to take on one major thing: "fun to drive", although that's inspiring coming from Lexus, that doesn't cut it for a "Luxury" manufacturer. Sadly the Q50 has much more attractive materials than the 3IS - and no we're not talking about design which is subjective folks - cabin materials. Clear cost cutting is still plaguing the Lexus brand on anything sub $50K. But I must say to Infiniti's credit considering their past, the Q50 is a step in the right direction so well done

Sounds like you're just making a generality. I don't think you've seen the new Q50 vs the old G or even the new JX/QX60 then. They actually have quality cabin materials. I suggest seeing them in person vs inter web pictures

I have to disagree with you here. I've sat in the GS350 F-Sport which is a benchmark in its segment IMO and I've recently sat in the new IS250 F-Sport. Interior-wise, there is nothing that leaps out at me that says cheap or low rent. A GS350 owner would not feel an appreciable downgrade if he sat in the IS250 F-Sport interior.

Regarding the handling, ALL luxury brands in the compact segment are competing for BOTH Sport and luxury. The ES deals with the pure luxury component. IS has to be both. Any brand wanting to survive in this cut-throat compact luxury sport-sedan segment has to be sporty--the buyers want it ALL : Sports + cushy luxurious ride.

IMO, the new IS NAILED this combination especially with the adaptive F-Sport suspension.

I admit I haven't driven the new Q50 but the Q50 has to be hell of a game-changer in both ride/handling balance if it is to beat the new IS in this department.

Last edited by natnut; 07-11-13 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-11-13, 12:37 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Here's an example of how half-baked Infiniti technology and implementation is :

The hybrid system in the M35h, lauded for being the fastest hybrid in the world is going to be in the new Q50.

There's a little shameful secret that Infiniti doesn't want the world to know :

Besides the fact that the GS450h spanks the M35h in real world fuel efficiency, the battery in the M35h OVERHEATS and the 0-60 slows down by as much as a second after a few acceleration runs.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the real world, after heavy track time, the GS450h hybrid overtakes the M35h in a timed endurance race. The Infiniti hybrid system seems to be all flash and bang to look good on paper but has no sustainable consistent performance.

My only hope is that Infiniti has worked out the shortcomings in the hybrid system before putting it into the new Q50 hybrid since I'm seriously considering the Q50 hybrid as a cheaper alternative to the GS450h.

Last edited by natnut; 07-11-13 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-11-13, 03:12 AM
TXDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually like the Q50's styling better than the 3IS, but it is lower on my list for these reasons...

- No ventilated seats... in a car that can easily option above $50K that is not acceptable.
- Split Folding rear seats are only available on the top trim level... huh? Doesn't make sense, but I want this feature but not at that costs.
- 3IS is a little more compact, works for me since it is just the two of us.
- 3IS is lower in cost.

If the Q50 had ventilated seats and 60/40 split rear seats in a lower cost trim level it would be a hard decision.
Old 07-11-13, 04:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Actually this is not the same thing. In the Q50's optional Direct Adaptive Steering,there is no physical linkage between the steering wheel and the wheels. There are three computers (for fail safe) and some sensors to monitor the driver's driving input. More on the link.. It is a world first application on a consumer car....it changes the fundamental of how steering works.

See the video below. It was linked from the freshalloy.com

http://youtu.be/TJOrA-Dt_jQ
this is bad, not good... you want connection so you can feel the road in a sporty sedan.

This is going to be worse than when EPS just came out. It is probably cheaper, because you dont need all that hardware like in VGRS.

No wonder there are no reviews of Q50 yet.
Old 07-11-13, 05:23 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed. Something really odd about no reviews. The good news about lots of tech in cars is that people are seduced by it, want it, and it sells cars. The bad news is that a lot of tech just doesn't work well and can drive down reliability ratings. I like that Lexus trickled down or moved over proven tech or kept new tech to a minimum cuz luxury to me is never having to go to the dealer again.
Old 07-11-13, 06:47 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

I agree with you on the cabin materials and less cost cutting in Q50.

I look at the Infiniti brand in detail more than before because the cost cutting in 3IS vs 2IS is apparent to me, primarily in the interior. I ended up choosing the 3IS because of the overall quality, the styling, and the particular dealership experience.

Discussion with various forum members here on the material and details in the door panel concludes that Lexus aims to separate IS from GS. Fun to drive and more nimble are the main selling points for IS while preserving the essence of Lexus quality. IMO, the 2IS interior was above its own class and that's why we have been spoiled.

I have found the interior lighting suffers quite some cost cutting in 3IS. LED interior lighting is missing in 3IS. Lexus Canada brochure for the 3IS still says "white LED interior illumination with fadeout" but it is a mistake. I think it is copied from the Lexus GS brochure somehow.

Some casual and more basic design (compared to 2IS) is apparent when opening front and rear dome light/map lights ....they just combine the map light and front dome light into 3 lights and if you notice in rear person, the light is not pointing properly to the clear square area for the map lights...

3IS: Front dome light

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/user...9103/note.aspx

2IS: Front dome light

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/...4143/note.aspx

The rear dome light is even worse...

Last edited by AndyL; 07-11-13 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-11-13, 07:00 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TXDriver
I actually like the Q50's styling better than the 3IS, but it is lower on my list for these reasons...

- No ventilated seats... in a car that can easily option above $50K that is not acceptable.
- Split Folding rear seats are only available on the top trim level... huh? Doesn't make sense, but I want this feature but not at that costs.
- 3IS is a little more compact, works for me since it is just the two of us.
- 3IS is lower in cost.

If the Q50 had ventilated seats and 60/40 split rear seats in a lower cost trim level it would be a hard decision.
TXDriver, glad that you pointed out the split folding rear seats. For some reason, I overlooked this feature in the paper list that was given by the salesman. It actually says" 60/40 Split RR seat". Speaking of the trunk space in Q50, there is a interesting space increasing feature which I doubt it is on the brochure. With the spare tire removed and the fact that the entire top floor board in the trunk can be lowered down, the trunk space can be increased vertically. The Q50 in Canada comes with run flat all season tires.
Old 07-11-13, 07:12 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a 2IS loaner -- was not impressed with the quality of materials vs the Genesis and Acura's I owned. imo Acura leather is much better, the backup camera excellent -- and the Genesis had better materials through out except for several switches and lack of wood. The 2IS I had was a 2013 with 13K miles. The wood trim was nice I guess but the leather seats were already looking beat up and there were stains on them. The GUI was 2nd rate even by the standards of the Genesis which was introduced in 2009, The back up camera was terrible and looked standard definition. I really don't get the love for the 2IS. Also bothersome to me -- the yards of black boring dashboard.

Oh my -- that little bitty low def screen plopped in the middle of the dash with the sun falling on it and making it unreadable. And the exposed ventilated seat controls added like an after thought with the cheap looking dials. All in all, I didn't feel upscale in the 2013 IS -- I felt depressed. It was a depressing environment to me.

The fact that IS250 probably cost more than an Acura TL -- and does cost more than a Genesis 6 banger (delivering 330hp) really puts into perspective just how much value these brands deliver and how much of a premium a "legendary" brand can get . The world class ownership experience? I got that with the Genesis. Bought the car and never had to go to the dealer for anything except oil change at 7.5K and service at 15K.

That's world class ownership experience.

Last edited by Glashub; 07-11-13 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-11-13, 07:44 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The steering tech on the Q50 is definitely intriguing. It makes it look like the steering auto aligns itself and takes a lot of feel out of the road. But how would you know your wheels are out of balance (as I've had the dealer do a bad job before and only way I knew was steering wheel feel) and other various feedback given with a connection to the road. I think the tech has some great features, bitnitnwill be curious how early adopters take to it and if issues arose.

To the OP of the thread, like yourself, I've flirted with different brands for a while. I've always liked Infiniti cars and this last winter we began looking at new cars. Considering all the different vehicles in their lineup and how they drove the V8 engines were fun to drive and the cars were enjoyable. But I never felt like the new lineup clicked and having seen the new oval design on the Q50 was reminiscent of the old IS350. Looks too feminine.

My wife also drove the two brands cars and found the Lexus to be more sporty, but more comfortable and the amenities to be nicer, given it doesn't have as much flash as Infiniti. But often times, you don't use all those extras.

I think either car you would be pleased with, but between my sister owning an infinity and my household now owning two Lexus vehicles for the first time, I think Lexus was the better choice. Granted dealerships have some influence on this decision, but I like the more masculine and finished lines on Lexus cars. For a long time I think Toyota has been very bland in their designs. But since the LFA, all that has changed as well as the birth of the F sport branding.

Good luck and post pics when you get a new car, whichever it may be.
Old 07-11-13, 07:47 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Haha funny i was looking on the Q this morning then i happen to see this thread, i like them bought but i still got a few months to decide since i'm still parting out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why did you choose an IS over a Q50?