IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why did you choose an IS over a Q50?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 07:52 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
It can be argued if there's more tech overall, but one can say "enhanced" on the Q50 in two of the safety techs I can think of:

1. Around view monitoring (360 deg cameras vs IS rear camera only)
2. Active Lane Control (nudges steering back in lane vs IS Lane Departure Alert which is an audible alert only)
I never understood this arguement, mastered by Acura fans "oh it has tech". Actually it doesn't its some optional electronics everyone else, in most cases LESS tech has but your package is named "the technology package". NAV and a 500watt sound system is not tech. Everyone has that.

The IS LFA gauges are simply like nothing else not the LFA. What about that?
The IS you can change the temperature with a finger
The IS has optional VGRS
Overseas, rear steer is an option
LED headlights (not HID)
LED seperate housing..this surely makes for an expensive replacement in an accident lol (smh)
The Nuluxe is not just a fake leather but environmentally friendly

etc etc (I honestly need to read up more on the IS)

Electronics are nice clearly but what about ENGINEERING. You know the actual car? Isn't that more important? For example we know the IS is based of the class leading GS platform. We know that super adhesives were used to give it a tighter chassis. We know LFA engineers had a had on the IS as the GS.

To me that is important. And I"m not saying one is better than the other but I think many here are missing or unaware of what the IS offers.

Originally Posted by Glashub
Had a 2IS loaner -- was not impressed with the quality of materials vs the Genesis and Acura's I owned. imo Acura leather is much better, the backup camera excellent -- and the Genesis had better materials through out except for several switches and lack of wood. The 2IS I had was a 2013 with 13K miles. The wood trim was nice I guess but the leather seats were already looking beat up and there were stains on them. The GUI was 2nd rate even by the standards of the Genesis which was introduced in 2009, The back up camera was terrible and looked standard definition. I really don't get the love for the 2IS. Also bothersome to me -- the yards of black boring dashboard.

Oh my -- that little bitty low def screen plopped in the middle of the dash with the sun falling on it and making it unreadable. And the exposed ventilated seat controls added like an after thought with the cheap looking dials. All in all, I didn't feel upscale in the 2013 IS -- I felt depressed. It was a depressing environment to me.

The fact that IS250 probably cost more than an Acura TL -- and does cost more than a Genesis 6 banger (delivering 330hp) really puts into perspective just how much value these brands deliver and how much of a premium a "legendary" brand can get . The world class ownership experience? I got that with the Genesis. Bought the car and never had to go to the dealer for anything except oil change at 7.5K and service at 15K.

That's world class ownership experience.
Don't agree with much of this but thats your opinion.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-11-13 at 07:56 AM.

Old 07-11-13, 07:54 AM
Ntowens
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for being of maximum service to our country. Are you talking about dealer invoice or sticker (MSRP)? You can get below MSRP on the IS..
It is my pleasure to serve.

I was refering to $750 over Dealer Invoice. I forgot to mention that I would also qualify for $750 in military money, effectively bringing me to right @ Invoice. I know that is a pretty good deal compared to what others are getting (some are paying MSRP), but I was making a comparison to the Infiniti deal, where I may get $1250 UNDER Invoice. Of course it will all also depend on the residuals and money factors of each.
Old 07-11-13, 07:56 AM
Ntowens
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stillhart
Based on your whole post above, I don't think there's a wrong choice for you. They're both great cars and you'll clearly be happy with either. No need for anxiety IMO. You should enjoy the process since you know that either way you'll be getting a sweet ride. My $0.02
Where is the 'like' button? Well stated, good point! I feel better already - lol.
Old 07-11-13, 07:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ntowens
Where is the 'like' button? Well stated, good point! I feel better already - lol.
Completely agree All about personal preference, no bad car here or really in this segment. We are pretty lucky and it will be great to see the new Q50 and IS parked together repping JDM

Old 07-11-13, 08:06 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It is my pleasure to serve.

I was refering to $750 over Dealer Invoice. I forgot to mention that I would also qualify for $750 in military money, effectively bringing me to right @ Invoice. I know that is a pretty good deal compared to what others are getting (some are paying MSRP), but I was making a comparison to the Infiniti deal, where I may get $1250 UNDER Invoice. Of course it will all also depend on the residuals and money factors of each.
Then you have to ask yourself this imo -- does the 2K savings with the Q50 compensate you enough for being a 1st mover and in essence an unpaid beta tester for tech that is all new to Infiniti and has yet to be reviewed?

Blueprint you're so right about the engineering -- good point.

About the 2IS -- I was very careful to make it clear that is my opinion and I might add it's nowhere near expert. On the other hand it seems that I may be one of the few people on this forum who hasn't been wedded to the Lexus brand for generations. I have owned other brands and may be able to give a different perspective.

Last edited by Glashub; 07-11-13 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-11-13, 08:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
The steering tech on the Q50 is definitely intriguing. It makes it look like the steering auto aligns itself and takes a lot of feel out of the road..
steering will probably be disaster - i dont think it will be buggy, they have sensors to stop that, but considering how much feeling was lost when going to EPS instead of Hydraulic, while EPS still has connection to the wheels, I cant imagine how will it feel without any connection.... well, I guess it will feel like Gen 2 Prius, just heavier.

As to interesting part - it adjusts the steering wheel ratio, not just how heavy it is, just like what VGRS does in Lexus... except that it is probably cheaper to do without real connection.
Old 07-11-13, 08:22 AM
Ntowens
Driver School Candidate

Then you have to ask yourself this imo -- does the 2K savings with the Q50 compensate you enough for being a 1st mover and in essence an unpaid beta tester for tech that is all new to Infiniti and has yet to be reviewed?
I have to say, that I am an "early adopter" when it comes to many things "techy".

Also, because I lease, I think I can live with potential bugs (that probably will be fixed via software upgrades). Especially considering the short window I will have the car compared to most conventional buyers.

So I guess I don’t mind being an "unpaid beta tester" - but I like the title!
If I go with the Q50, I will try to get that on my license plate. lol
Old 07-11-13, 09:01 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
except that it is probably cheaper to do without real connection.
So you think extending the steering rod out a few more inches is more expensive than redundant computers with all the programming that goes along with it and steering actuators and cameras that all work together? I'd love to know your basis for this assumption. It's very clear which car company is doing the bulk of the cost cutting, and charging for it.

Last edited by Ramon; 07-11-13 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-11-13, 09:12 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

I have to say, that I am an "early adopter" when it comes to many things "techy".

Also, because I lease, I think I can live with potential bugs (that probably will be fixed via software upgrades). Especially considering the short window I will have the car compared to most conventional buyers.

So I guess I don’t mind being an "unpaid beta tester" - but I like the title!
If I go with the Q50, I will try to get that on my license plate. lol
lol. That would be a great title on a plate. In my business really smart people are always trying to get me to be an unpaid consultant.
Old 07-11-13, 09:46 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ramon
So you think extending the steering rod out a few more inches is more expensive than redundant computers with all the programming that goes along with it and steering actuators and cameras that all work together? I'd love to know your basis for this assumption. It's very clear which car company is doing the bulk of the cost cutting, and charging for it.
Considering the IS is based on the all new GS platform and the Q50 is one again FM based, I think its fair to say Lexus spent more time on the actual car than on just electronics. Both also use the same old engines except the 300h which is all new (the Q50 hybrid is based on existing tech) I agree that the new Q50 steering could be very very cool if it works, who wouldn't want to adjust things? On the other hand with the Lexus which was tested at numerous race tracks around the world ,the steering was chosen by engineers to provide what they felt was the best match for the car.

Two ways going about different cars.

I just think its really unusual the Q50 has yet to be driven or tested yet while Lexus boldly let experts drive pre-production cars last fall to production cars this spring where it has fared very very well in comparisons.

Lets understand the IS is the rare car not for "everyone" like a more volume car like the Q50, ES or TL. Lexus having an ES allows the IS to basically go kinda crazy. Contrarily Nissan cannot slip with the Q50 as the G37 accounted for 60-70% of sales most years this past decade.

Old 07-11-13, 11:25 AM
Ntowens
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by glashub
lol. That would be a great title on a plate. In my business really smart people are always trying to get me to be an unpaid consultant.
"bta-tstr" ?
Old 07-11-13, 11:39 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Considering the IS is based on the all new GS platform and the Q50 is one again FM based, I think its fair to say Lexus spent more time on the actual car than on just electronics. Both also use the same old engines except the 300h which is all new (the Q50 hybrid is based on existing tech) I agree that the new Q50 steering could be very very cool if it works, who wouldn't want to adjust things? On the other hand with the Lexus which was tested at numerous race tracks around the world ,the steering was chosen by engineers to provide what they felt was the best match for the car.

Two ways going about different cars.

I just think its really unusual the Q50 has yet to be driven or tested yet while Lexus boldly let experts drive pre-production cars last fall to production cars this spring where it has fared very very well in comparisons.

Lets understand the IS is the rare car not for "everyone" like a more volume car like the Q50, ES or TL. Lexus having an ES allows the IS to basically go kinda crazy. Contrarily Nissan cannot slip with the Q50 as the G37 accounted for 60-70% of sales most years this past decade.
The IS is a mass produced car just like the Q will be. There's nothing rare about it. It has LFA style gauges, it's not an LFA.
Old 07-11-13, 11:53 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

"bta-tstr" ?
I like it. You gave it some thought.
Old 07-11-13, 12:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ramon
The IS is a mass produced car just like the Q will be. There's nothing rare about it. It has LFA style gauges, it's not an LFA.
I didn't mean rare as in "ferrari" but its rare in execution. I'm well aware they are both mass produced. The point is the IS has a much smaller demographic to hit, marketing is aimed at people who want to be different and the styling inside and out shows. Contrarily the Q50 sells 60-70% of Ininfiiti sales, it is their volume car and is much safer and will sell higher volume (hopefully).

Old 07-11-13, 04:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I have to disagree with you here. I've sat in the GS350 F-Sport which is a benchmark in its segment IMO and I've recently sat in the new IS250 F-Sport. Interior-wise, there is nothing that leaps out at me that says cheap or low rent. A GS350 owner would not feel an appreciable downgrade if he sat in the IS250 F-Sport interior
Agreed, the GS is probably best in class when it comes to interior. For what it's worth, the IS isn't as bad as the ES, but it is still a step below the GS. Namely the centerconsole trim / remote touch area and largely the door panels. Sit in a Q50 and you'll see its a bit more plush than the 3IS.

Quick Reply: Why did you choose an IS over a Q50?