IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How are you going to deal with the front license plate on F-sport? (Merged Threads)

Old 07-21-14, 05:26 PM
zarraz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to see if the evo x front plate bracket fits the lexus, its a cleaner look and can be 2 way taped on, for later removal
Old 07-21-14, 06:15 PM
SanDeezy
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zarraz
I am going to see if the evo x front plate bracket fits the lexus, its a cleaner look and can be 2 way taped on, for later removal
Any pics of the evo x license plate bracket?
Old 07-30-14, 08:35 PM
stevieb54
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OrionLex
Aside from not having a front plate at all, this is the best mounting position I've seen yet (I really don't like the off-center mounts personally) - do you have more shots of this, such as from a diagonal angle or from the side? I'm guessing the plate isn't actually perfectly vertical then, with the bottom slanted in a little more, right?
The only problem doing it this way, is your blocking air flow to the radiator.
Old 08-17-14, 06:12 PM
asmartinez
Driver School Candidate

Got to this thread through a Google search to confirm what my dealer told me. I just got my IS250 F-Sport a few weeks ago in Fremont and the dealer said that since it's a sport grille, I can just keep the front plate in the trunk. Anyone else been told this? On my last car (2012 Celica gt), I drove in California for about 7 years before I finally got a fix it ticket. Wasn't even pulled over for it, though. Had parked in west Hollywood and came back to my car a few hours later with the ticket on my windshield. Had been pulled over prior to that for other reasons and no cop ever mentioned the plate to me.
Old 08-17-14, 06:45 PM
gvan1998
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asmartinez
Got to this thread through a Google search to confirm what my dealer told me. I just got my IS250 F-Sport a few weeks ago in Fremont and the dealer said that since it's a sport grille, I can just keep the front plate in the trunk. Anyone else been told this? On my last car (2012 Celica gt), I drove in California for about 7 years before I finally got a fix it ticket. Wasn't even pulled over for it, though. Had parked in west Hollywood and came back to my car a few hours later with the ticket on my windshield. Had been pulled over prior to that for other reasons and no cop ever mentioned the plate to me.
LOL the dealer is telling you to break the law.
Old 08-18-14, 10:17 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

l am not sure if this is still applicable, but Federal Law (which supersedes state law) saids that if the import/foreign import cars which were not designed to have front plates (like ours for instance), it's not required.

This differs than US made cars is not applicable since they have by design a built-in license plate mount.

I've driven in my IS in Seattle and Vancouver with no issues with no front plate.
Old 08-18-14, 10:30 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gvan1998
LOL the dealer is telling you to break the law.
Yup. It's just like tint on the front Windows. It's technically against the law, but it's up to the discretion of the cops to enforce it or not
Old 08-19-14, 05:59 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As long as you carry the plate with you in the car, if a police officer decides to worry about the front plate for some reason, you were probably doing something that you should not have been doing, that is why he pulled you over. As long as you have it in the car and say that you just ordered the front bracket and it was on backorder so that is why it is not on the car, they should be pretty cool about it, or give you a fix it ticket. either way you will be okay...
Old 08-19-14, 06:10 PM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL. I got pulled over today by a local cop who thought I didn't have a front plate because she didn't see it. I so graciously pointed out to the young officer that I did, it was just not on the grill and was offset. After she sheepishly walked back from around the front of my car she sent me on my way.

BTW, in VA a front plate in the trunk or floorboard won't fly.
Old 08-19-14, 07:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

No issues (yet) with having tinted the clear dealer plate cover a few months back. I tinted it a little darker than the smoke plate covers available from automotive shops since I find those not dark enough.

I'm happy with the result since you can still see the numbers, yet the plate blends in better with the spindle grill.
Attached Thumbnails How are you going to deal with the front license plate on F-sport? (Merged Threads)-isplate1.jpg  
Old 08-19-14, 07:41 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
No issues (yet) with having tinted the clear dealer plate cover a few months back. I tinted it a little darker than the smoke plate covers available from automotive shops since I find those not dark enough.

I'm happy with the result since you can still see the numbers, yet the plate blends in better with the spindle grill.
i was thinking of doing this also, but worried it still might be illegal to cover the license plate in any way. Anybody know the law regarding this in California?
Old 08-22-14, 10:07 AM
focker828
Driver School Candidate

I'm totally against the plate on the grill so after searching for days I came across this and wanted to share.

Its a Electric Hide-Away Power Retractable License Plate by Altec.
Old 08-22-14, 12:45 PM
Skunkwerx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by focker828
I'm totally against the plate on the grill so after searching for days I came across this and wanted to share.

2014 IS250 Show N Go - YouTube

Its a Electric Hide-Away Power Retractable License Plate by Altec.

Read the reviews on this on Amazon. Does not appear to be very sturdy at speed.
Old 09-03-14, 11:22 AM
imnew09
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS3Fguy
As I promised, here is the close up pic with the two zip ties

I think i found it

Amazon.com: Cruiser Accessories 79150 Mounting Plate, Black: Automotive Amazon.com: Cruiser Accessories 79150 Mounting Plate, Black: Automotive
Old 09-03-14, 12:32 PM
mrkjsn
Rookie

I had the same hide-away license plate holder posted above in my previous car. It's just not worth having. I used to fuss about license plates and where to put them so it doesn't "ruin" the car, but at the end of the day, it must be done and trying to work your way around it will only cause more headaches than it's worth. Having it on the tow hook looks silly to me because it doesn't look symmetrical and zip tying it in front of the radiator probably affects your radiator's ability to keep your engine cool. Might not destroy your engine but the engineers left that part open for the radiator/AC for a reason. Find a black frame that have thick edges so it covers most of the plate except for the actual numbers and mount it where it should be mounted in the front and center.

Here's what I did for the wife's CT. Sucks to live in a state that requires a front plate, but oh well.

Name:  08A547E8-AF5F-48F7-AB00-7A8EFA62358D_zpsmabfi9ln.jpg
Views: 9944
Size:  98.2 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How are you going to deal with the front license plate on F-sport? (Merged Threads)