IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How are you going to deal with the front license plate on F-sport? (Merged Threads)

Old 07-11-14, 12:17 AM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Name:  lexus.jpg
Views: 3638
Size:  50.3 KB

Rather have it without the license plate holder, but stupid ny makes you do it
Old 07-11-14, 04:15 AM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IS3Fguy
I just use zip tie. I didn't want to spend $$$ to get a tow hook and plus it looks off with tow hook mount. Here is the picture.

It's better without license plate, but I am really tired of constantly looking over my shoulder to see if there is a police.

Last edited by IS3Fguy; 07-11-14 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-11-14, 12:10 PM
OrionLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just use zip tie. I didn't want to spend $$$ to get a tow hook and plus it looks off with tow hook mount. Here is the picture.

Aside from not having a front plate at all, this is the best mounting position I've seen yet (I really don't like the off-center mounts personally) - do you have more shots of this, such as from a diagonal angle or from the side? I'm guessing the plate isn't actually perfectly vertical then, with the bottom slanted in a little more, right?
Old 07-11-14, 07:28 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by OrionLex
Aside from not having a front plate at all, this is the best mounting position I've seen yet (I really don't like the off-center mounts personally) - do you have more shots of this, such as from a diagonal angle or from the side? I'm guessing the plate isn't actually perfectly vertical then, with the bottom slanted in a little more, right?
Here you go. View from side and top.
How are you going to deal with the front license plate on F-sport? (Merged Threads)-pjx2rm4.jpg

How are you going to deal with the front license plate on F-sport? (Merged Threads)-vkaoyoc.jpg
Old 07-11-14, 11:53 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the best mount I've seen yet as well, well done!
Old 07-13-14, 01:23 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Thank you very much - I'm totally gonna mount mine in the same position!! Do you have any close-up pics that show how you mounted it with zip ties?

Also, had another thought - are there any sensors in that lower area that this mounting position could possibly interfere with, such as for park assist, radar cruise control / precollision, lane departure alert, etc.?

Last edited by OrionLex; 07-13-14 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-13-14, 08:16 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Thank you very much - I'm totally gonna mount mine in the same position!! Do you have any close-up pics that show how you mounted it with zip ties?
Thank you for sharing IS3Fguy!

Yeah as OrionLex stated, if you could provide some closeups or more detailed instructions on how you zip tied it, that would be fantastic. Did you use 4 zip ties total? Where do they connect to on the license plate bracket exactly?

Also, where did you get the black license plate frame that's tinted in the front?

It looks excellent ,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 07-13-14, 08:20 PM
L0ngJ0hn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I zip tied mine in the same fashion but on the right side. I'll be getting the tow hook adapter eventually.

Also you forgot to blur one of the green info pillars in the pic and we can see your shoe and shoe prints on the floor. This info in the right hands can be used to track you down.. j/k

Last edited by L0ngJ0hn; 07-13-14 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 08:33 AM
stevieb54
Driver School Candidate

I see no one here has mentioned this about the cons of no plate. Although its a fixit tix or a fine from a meter maid when parked, the thing that NO ONE has me tioned is whats called "Probable Cause", thats any reason a cop can pull you over. There was a ***** cop on my town that thought he was the king of DUI arrests, he would use this as his PC to find something bigger to bust you on. So my point is if you had a drink or two at dinner and driving home someone like this will use this as a deason to pull you over. Now let the **** hit the fan. So far i have see. And liked the US millworks plate back on page one,aybe by now they have a bolt for a 3IS. I have an ultra white and a calif plate maybe if i paint it uw it wont stand out that much
Old 07-15-14, 10:36 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I am going with no front plate. I have light tint all around including the front side windows, so even if I have a front plate, there is still a reason for a traffic stop.
Old 07-15-14, 06:49 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars for the last 17 years.

Got stopped 3x

I'll take my chances.
Old 07-16-14, 12:44 AM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plate location

I have a front plate because it is the law. With that said mine is mounted in the center of the grill over the center bar of the grill area. (F Sport) I live in a very warm climate and I wonder if the plate mounted low blocks some of the air flow to the radiator.
Old 07-16-14, 04:42 AM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Also, had another thought - are there any sensors in that lower area that this mounting position could possibly interfere with, such as for park assist, radar cruise control / precollision, lane departure alert, etc.?
I just used two zip ties and it holds very tight. Just use a black bracket. I bought mine from Canadian Tire for $5.99. The gray cover does not come with it and it is $10.99. The black bracket comes with many holes that allow you to choose where you want to loop the zip ties in. I don't think it will interfere with any sensors. I don't think there is any sensors down below there. Let me know if I am wrong.
Old 07-16-14, 04:43 AM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Larry96815
I have a front plate because it is the law. With that said mine is mounted in the center of the grill over the center bar of the grill area. (F Sport) I live in a very warm climate and I wonder if the plate mounted low blocks some of the air flow to the radiator.
I thought that is where it is supposed to be mount. Post a pic please.
Old 07-16-14, 09:13 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

I just used two zip ties and it holds very tight. Just use a black bracket. I bought mine from Canadian Tire for $5.99. The gray cover does not come with it and it is $10.99. The black bracket comes with many holes that allow you to choose where you want to loop the zip ties in. I don't think it will interfere with any sensors. I don't think there is any sensors down below there. Let me know if I am wrong.
Okay, I think that I found the black license plate frame & the smoke (gray) license plate guard that you are referring to:

Plastic Black License Plate Frames, 2-pk
Product #37-2374-2
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pl...-0372374p.html

License Plate Guard, Smoke
Product #37-7498-8
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/li...-0377498p.html

Thanks for all the information. I am going to see if I can find similar products down in the U.S.

I am surprised that you only used 2 zip ties though - I thought you would need 4 due to the four holes in the frame & guard. Maybe your 2 zip ties were extra long so that each passed through 2 holes (top to bottom)?

~ Im2bz2p345

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How are you going to deal with the front license plate on F-sport? (Merged Threads)