Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LFA Inspired Speedometer thoughts

Old 07-07-13, 04:41 AM   #1
SunnyPanx
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default LFA Inspired Speedometer thoughts

I just test drove the IS 350 loved it , iv booked the f sport and i am really concerned about the fact that i cant physically see the kph on screen at all times , instead i will have to look down and keep checking what speed i am going , especially if i am to slow down before a speed radar which happens a lot here in the gcc especially the hidden ones.

Aside from that everything checks out for me , do you think its something you just have to et used to and adapt? they should have at least provided secondary display on the front window.

What are your thoughts if u think its a major concern i am considering downgrading for the sole purpose of having a standard speedometer as strange as it may sound.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
SunnyPanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 04:59 AM   #2
corradoMR2
Lexus Champion

You mean your concern is the lack of a Heads Up Display (HUD)? The digital numeric speed is always indicated on the 8" display so it should just be a minor glance down as with majority of vehicles.

I know HUD is a convenience with my RX but when I drive my CT, I just look a few centimeters lower to get my speed...no biggie. Don't let this sway you away from the IS and if the digital speed readout absolutely bothers you, go for the non-F-Sport with its traditional analogue gauges.

corradoMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 10:33 AM   #3
John510
Lead Lap

I don't quite understand the post. The speedometer is digital inside the tach and is easily read after you get used to the gauges. I like to slide my tach over so I can see the radio display on the dash and use the screen for the nav.
John510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 12:34 PM   #4
SW13GS
Lexus Fanatic

I think the OP is under the impression that the F Sport gauges do not always display the speed depending on the mode...which is not the case.

2013 GS350 AWD Luxury Package, Liquid Platinum with Flaxen Interior
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, Maximum Steel with Indigo Blue/Brown interior
~Previous Lexus Vehicles~
2010 ES350, 2003 ES300 In the family: 2004 LS430, 1998 LS400
SW13GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 04:03 PM   #5
03LX470
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyPanx View Post
I just test drove the IS 350 loved it , iv booked the f sport and i am really concerned about the fact that i cant physically see the kph on screen at all times , instead i will have to look down and keep checking what speed i am going , especially if i am to slow down before a speed radar which happens a lot here in the gcc especially the hidden ones.

Aside from that everything checks out for me , do you think its something you just have to et used to and adapt? they should have at least provided secondary display on the front window.

What are your thoughts if u think its a major concern i am considering downgrading for the sole purpose of having a standard speedometer as strange as it may sound.
In Oman you're lucky to have some great features. Like you can get F-Sport with Adaptive Cruise/Pre-Crash as well as remote engine start. In Emirates the dealer is not bringing any of those on the F-Sport and prices are more as usual. Go for the F-Sport and do share some pictures!

2012 LX570 Satin Cashmere Metallic with Black / Saddle Tan
03LX470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 10:22 PM   #6
SunnyPanx
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the feedback , let me give you an example of what i mean :

. say your driving thorugh a road with a speed limit of 80 kph with a hidden radar that allows you to speed upto 99 without flashing , say im speeding over and above 100kph , the issue with the digital speedometer is tracking the speed while reducing it so you can bring it under the speed limit in time , i dont think that the f sport speedometer is as accurate as the analogue being it digital that is really my only concern.

. basically it is easier for me to track the analogue dial while reducing speed to aoid radar rather than staring at digital numbers going down hoping it changes in time i hope you get my point.

. i gave the dealership my feedback now their concerned im going to change my mind at the last minute and they don't want to give me an f sport to test drive so i wont really know how it works till i actually purchase the vehicle.

I would really appreciate it if someone can post a youtube video detailing the digital speedometer in action.
Old 07-07-13, 10:35 PM   #7
03LX470
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyPanx View Post
thanks for the feedback , let me give you an example of what i mean :

. say your driving thorugh a road with a speed limit of 80 kph with a hidden radar that allows you to speed upto 99 without flashing , say im speeding over and above 100kph , the issue with the digital speedometer is tracking the speed while reducing it so you can bring it under the speed limit in time , i dont think that the f sport speedometer is as accurate as the analogue being it digital that is really my only concern.

. basically it is easier for me to track the analogue dial while reducing speed to aoid radar rather than staring at digital numbers going down hoping it changes in time i hope you get my point.

. i gave the dealership my feedback now their concerned im going to change my mind at the last minute and they don't want to give me an f sport to test drive so i wont really know how it works till i actually purchase the vehicle.

I would really appreciate it if someone can post a youtube video detailing the digital speedometer in action.
I don't think the problem you describe exists with the F-Sport. The speed display change rate on analogue and digital should be the same perhaps even faster with the digital as its not a rotary movement and can skip the numbers in between.

However bear in mind cars are not designed with people in mind who are looking to break certain traffic laws and how to get away with it.

Just track the car if you really want to speed.

Meanwhile I cannot imagine not getting the F-Sport. Infact the F-Sport speedometer is a big part of the IS purchase decision

2012 LX570 Satin Cashmere Metallic with Black / Saddle Tan

Last edited by 03LX470; 07-07-13 at 11:08 PM..
03LX470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 10:56 PM   #8
SunnyPanx
Driver School Candidate

you have a point , im just going to have to physically test it out before i make a decision .
Old 07-08-13, 08:26 AM   #9
SW13GS
Lexus Fanatic

Bear in mind that the analog speedometer in a modern car is also a digital device nowadays. I think you are way overthinking this...

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, Maximum Steel with Indigo Blue/Brown interior
Old 07-08-13, 02:40 PM   #10
pocky
mooncake master
Trader Score: (11)

First world problems. ^_________^
pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 02:47 PM   #11
John510
Lead Lap

How about you don't speed? Problem solved
John510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 03:03 PM   #12
Stillhart
Rookie

The real trick is to know how fast you're going from your RPM and gear selection. You shouldn't be looking down to figure out your speed, you should know from the sound of the engine and feel of the speed. Once you can do that, you don't need your speedo anyways.
Stillhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 03:37 PM   #13
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW13GS View Post
Bear in mind that the analog speedometer in a modern car is also a digital device nowadays. I think you are way overthinking this...
he is over thinking it because LFA got digital speedo because old school one couldnt follow the engine revving fast.

so this is... faster... not slower.
Old 07-08-13, 04:11 PM   #14
SW13GS
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't even think about it, but you're right...that is why the LFA has a digital speedo.

Also to that point...Formula 1 cars have digital speedos too.

Old 07-08-13, 07:03 PM   #15
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (15)

new IS will not 'outrun' digital or analog guages.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 07:03 PM

Tags
2014, 250, car, digital, gauge, gs, inspired, is250, lexus, lfa, odometer, speed, speedometer, sport