IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS nav and multimedia system

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-13, 01:29 AM
jagged
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3IS nav and multimedia system

I'm curious, is there a way to allow nav setting while driving?

Yesterday, I got to do a short road trip on my new IS350 with a friend navigating for me and we realized that we couldn't set destinations while moving. We had to pull over a gas stop just to tinker with the system and it was quite burdensome.

There are also other features in the multimedia that couldn't be access while moving so I'm curious about it as well.

Is this normal for any car with built-in Navi? It's the first time Lexus (or any car brand) offered built-in navi in my market so I'm not very familiar with such systems yet.

I may be wrong but several years ago, I rented a Prius in Europe and I remember being able to play around with the built-in Nav system while a friend was driving.
Old 07-07-13, 06:04 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not played with the 3IS but in the 2IS, the only way to set the nav while in motion was to use the voice system. Other than that, the destination had to be programmed into one of the memory spots. It was the same way to place a phone call, either voice or speed dial memory.
Old 07-07-13, 06:15 AM
SexyElaine
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
I have not played with the 3IS but in the 2IS, the only way to set the nav while in motion was to use the voice system. Other than that, the destination had to be programmed into one of the memory spots. It was the same way to place a phone call, either voice or speed dial memory.
Seriously ??? Not for nothing this would really suck for me but I guess it'll only reinforce my decision to finally not get a navigation system on my next ride !!! I just got a new smartphone and the navigation on it is the simplest and best nav I've used thus saving my $$$ from having not to opt for the OEM nav

Last edited by SexyElaine; 07-07-13 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-07-13, 06:27 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

All Lexus NAVs are set that way.
Old 07-07-13, 06:32 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SexyElaine
Seriously ??? Not for nothing this would really suck for me but I guess it'll only reinforce my decision to finally get a navigation system on my next ride !!! I just got a new smartphone and the navigation on it is the simplest and best nav I've used thus saving my $$$ from having not to opt for the OEM nav
Actually, talking to the system was not bad at all. It just took an initial learning curve. I would imagine that the 3IS voice system is much easier to use as it recognizes real world language versus the programmed commands of the previous version.
I am a firm believer in an OEM navigation system as I feel the integration into the car has many more aspects that can be realized until it is used.
Old 07-07-13, 06:42 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by SexyElaine
Seriously ??? Not for nothing this would really suck for me but I guess it'll only reinforce my decision to finally get a navigation system on my next ride !!! I just got a new smartphone and the navigation on it is the simplest and best nav I've used thus saving my $$$ from having not to opt for the OEM nav
You probably meant "...not get a navigation system..." ?

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
Actually, talking to the system was not bad at all. It just took an initial learning curve. I would imagine that the 3IS voice system is much easier to use as it recognizes real world language versus the programmed commands of the previous version.
I am a firm believer in an OEM navigation system as I feel the integration into the car has many more aspects that can be realized until it is used.
The decision for me to getting NAV (or not) was a question of the balance between the tech/convenience, interior look/design, and cost. With the base 3IS, the interior look, screen size/color and design of the dash is the same as with the NAV option so in Canada the extra $3250 for NAV and moonroof over the base F-Sport was not worth it for me especially since I have my Smartphone and a portable NAV if ever I need it the rare time. However, If it was like the 2IS where the dash looks much nicer with the NAV (IMO), I'd probably go for it for the extra 3K.
Old 07-07-13, 07:34 AM
SexyElaine
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
You probably meant "...not get a navigation system..." ?

The decision for me to getting NAV (or not) was a question of the balance between the tech/convenience, interior look/design, and cost. With the base 3IS, the interior look, screen size/color and design of the dash is the same as with the NAV option so in Canada the extra $3250 for NAV and moonroof over the base F-Sport was not worth it for me especially since I have my Smartphone and a portable NAV if ever I need it the rare time. However, If it was like the 2IS where the dash looks much nicer with the NAV (IMO), I'd probably go for it for the extra 3K.
My bad and corrected oooppppss !! It's good to know that the screen and interior is the same whether there's a nav or not ?! I agree the 2IS interior looked so much better with the OEM nav system.
Old 07-07-13, 08:41 AM
unc879wins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would prefer ML availability without having to include NAV. But since it does, then getting NAV is lesser evil than not getting ML.
Old 07-07-13, 10:28 AM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do it from voice control. I don't know a single car that will allow you to enter destinations while moving. My avalanche is the same way.
Old 07-07-13, 05:40 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=1188
Old 07-07-13, 05:42 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

There are certain things that you can do while driving except entering address. I was able to browse mp3 files while moving.
Old 07-07-13, 05:50 PM
Alant514
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone getting a update message? I tried to update it but it always tells me it failed.
Anyone have a clue on how to update it?
Old 07-07-13, 05:56 PM
unc879wins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

$190 for that solution. Interesting.
Old 07-07-13, 06:49 PM
Stillhart
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John510
You can do it from voice control. I don't know a single car that will allow you to enter destinations while moving. My avalanche is the same way.
Our old Honda Civic ('06?) let us use it while in motion.

While i understand why the manufacturers would want to not let you do it, I don't agree with the nanny policy. If the passenger is setting the Nav, there's no danger.

Thanks for that link to the bypass device. That will definitely come in handy if I go with the Lexus...
Old 07-07-13, 07:33 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Alant514
Anyone getting a update message? I tried to update it but it always tells me it failed.
Anyone have a clue on how to update it?
You need to have a paired bluetooth cell phone with data connection connected. I was able to update it. It only takes about 10 min.

Quick Reply: 3IS nav and multimedia system