IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS nav and multimedia system

Old 07-07-13, 11:46 PM
TXDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stillhart
Our old Honda Civic ('06?) let us use it while in motion.

While i understand why the manufacturers would want to not let you do it, I don't agree with the nanny policy. If the passenger is setting the Nav, there's no danger.

Thanks for that link to the bypass device. That will definitely come in handy if I go with the Lexus...
There are others that make bypass units for toyota/lexus cars. I'm sure they will develop one for the 3IS. But I think there is some trade off there. While in bypass I think the nav solution might drift. I don't think these are 'always on' bypass units. But don't take my word for it, read up on it.
Old 07-08-13, 12:02 AM
saferisk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXDriver
There are others that make bypass units for toyota/lexus cars. I'm sure they will develop one for the 3IS. But I think there is some trade off there. While in bypass I think the nav solution might drift. I don't think these are 'always on' bypass units. But don't take my word for it, read up on it.
This might be worth looking at, I'm pretty sure that the 3IS wont differ too much and someone will find a way http://www.wikihow.com/Override-Lexu...on-Motion-Lock
Old 07-11-13, 10:14 AM
jagged
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried playing videos from their USB drive? I kind of remember that instruction manual says that files like AVI, MPEG4, etc on the USB can be read.

But I've been unsuccessful so far.
Old 07-11-13, 07:14 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jagged
Has anyone tried playing videos from their USB drive? I kind of remember that instruction manual says that files like AVI, MPEG4, etc on the USB can be read.

But I've been unsuccessful so far.
I've also tried this and I'm not sure what the point of the A/V mode is when you cant even play anything. Ive tried all different file types and folder naming without any luck.

I also dont know the point of having surround sound or Dolby digital either. When you insert a DVD movie you get to hear the great soundtrack of the movie in Dolby Digital but no picture appears just a blue screen. Lexus is very confusing
Old 07-11-13, 07:17 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
Actually, talking to the system was not bad at all. It just took an initial learning curve. I would imagine that the 3IS voice system is much easier to use as it recognizes real world language versus the programmed commands of the previous version.
I am a firm believer in an OEM navigation system as I feel the integration into the car has many more aspects that can be realized until it is used.
When you get used to using SIRI on your iphone and start having to talk to your navigation system i sit there and pause bc I have no idea what to say
Old 07-11-13, 09:14 PM
NightFury
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by John510
You can do it from voice control. I don't know a single car that will allow you to enter destinations while moving. My avalanche is the same way.
my MINI allows me to do basically anything. enter addresses, use facebook, twitter, rss feeds. only thing it won't do is show video.
Old 07-12-13, 12:50 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by gocubs08
I've also tried this and I'm not sure what the point of the A/V mode is when you cant even play anything. Ive tried all different file types and folder naming without any luck.

I also dont know the point of having surround sound or Dolby digital either. When you insert a DVD movie you get to hear the great soundtrack of the movie in Dolby Digital but no picture appears just a blue screen. Lexus is very confusing
First A/V mode requires a 4 pole AUX cable. It says so in the manual. However the manual isn't much clearer than that. I've tried playing around with one at our dealership using a Droid Razr and iPhone 5 and couldn't get it to work. I know some older video ipods support video out of the headphone jack. I think you can use an iPhone 5 or 4s running that 4 pole aux cable and an apple cable that changes to composite and then a cable that goes from composite to USB. So you'll end up plugging in 2 cables to the car. Video will not display (even with DVD) without the car being in Park and parking brake engaged.
Old 07-12-13, 06:12 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Originally Posted by offroad200
First A/V mode requires a 4 pole AUX cable. It says so in the manual. However the manual isn't much clearer than that. I've tried playing around with one at our dealership using a Droid Razr and iPhone 5 and couldn't get it to work. I know some older video ipods support video out of the headphone jack. I think you can use an iPhone 5 or 4s running that 4 pole aux cable and an apple cable that changes to composite and then a cable that goes from composite to USB. So you'll end up plugging in 2 cables to the car. Video will not display (even with DVD) without the car being in Park and parking brake engaged.

Do you have to have the Mark Levingston Audio to watch a DVD? I have the standard audio and the DVD plays the audio but just a blue screen for video, even in park
Old 07-17-13, 08:12 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Originally Posted by gocubs08
Do you have to have the Mark Levingston Audio to watch a DVD? I have the standard audio and the DVD plays the audio but just a blue screen for video, even in park
You do not have to have Mark Levinson to watch a DVD. I just checked. Remember the parking brake has to be engaged as well as in park to watch a movie.
Old 07-17-13, 08:36 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats slightly strange because my car does everything while on the move. Havent yet used the voice command either
Old 07-17-13, 08:36 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by offroad200
You do not have to have Mark Levinson to watch a DVD. I just checked. Remember the parking brake has to be engaged as well as in park to watch a movie.
During the test drive last time, I noticed there is a video in in an IS without navigation and with stock sound system.

Does it mean when in parking mode, you can actually watch a DVD or a video coming from a media player?

In Japan, the 3IS all come with blu-ray playback capability (stock and Mark Levinson). If DVD can be played in 3IS, it is not too bad..
Old 07-17-13, 08:43 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Thats slightly strange because my car does everything while on the move. Havent yet used the voice command either
It may vary from country to country. In UK, is it allowed to receive TV signal when the car is idle or at a very slow speed when you are stuck in traffic?
Old 07-17-13, 12:38 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Originally Posted by AndyL
During the test drive last time, I noticed there is a video in in an IS without navigation and with stock sound system.

Does it mean when in parking mode, you can actually watch a DVD or a video coming from a media player?

In Japan, the 3IS all come with blu-ray playback capability (stock and Mark Levinson). If DVD can be played in 3IS, it is not too bad..
Haven't tried a non nav car yet. I will check that out and report back.
Old 07-17-13, 12:53 PM
offroad200
Instructor

A non nav car will not play DVD's. It still has an A/V mode so it may play videos that way.
Old 07-17-13, 01:00 PM
Timmah
Driver

you can always call destination assist.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3IS nav and multimedia system