IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Missing TPMS reset switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-13, 09:30 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Missing TPMS reset switch

Hmmm. This is weird. Manual shows TPMS reset switch is next to trunk release button but its not there in my car. Does anyone know where this button is? I have Fsport model with Nav.
Old 07-06-13, 09:48 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

just a hunch but look further under the dash. Usually they are deep down there where you really have to look
Old 07-06-13, 10:06 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

You're right I really had to look hard and touch every where under kneeair bag area. Found it next to odb port. Why did Lexus made this so hard to reach.

Last edited by dojoman; 07-06-13 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-07-13, 05:10 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
You're right I really had to look hard and touch every where under kneeair bag area. Found it next to odb port. Why did Lexus made this so hard to reach.
Seasoned Lexus owners are probably chuckling here since this has been the location of the TPMS for most of the last 2 gens of several models and it's always been a pain to find! I'll have to get on my hands and knees again, twist my back to find this darn button

Q: On a related note, can the 3IS recognize two TPMS sets like in the 2IS and do we have to get this programmed by Lexus or it's a DIY task this time around?
Old 07-07-13, 09:00 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Seasoned Lexus owners are probably chuckling here since this has been the location of the TPMS for most of the last 2 gens of several models and it's always been a pain to find! I'll have to get on my hands and knees again, twist my back to find this darn button

Q: On a related note, can the 3IS recognize two TPMS sets like in the 2IS and do we have to get this programmed by Lexus or it's a DIY task this time around?
It doesn't look like you can. On my 2IS you could do it and button was so easy to reach.
Old 07-07-13, 01:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

It doesn't look like you can. On my 2IS you could do it and button was so easy to reach.
Ouch, I hope you're wrong since us northerners buy a second winter set

If we can disable the warning on the 3IS, I'm good with that, but if it's like the 2IS, if you don't have TPMS on your second set or if it's not registered, the warning is on all the time
Old 07-07-13, 05:40 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Ouch, I hope you're wrong since us northerners buy a second winter set

If we can disable the warning on the 3IS, I'm good with that, but if it's like the 2IS, if you don't have TPMS on your second set or if it's not registered, the warning is on all the time
There must be a way to register a second set but haven't read thru the book yet.
Old 07-07-13, 07:23 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There must be a way to register a second set but haven't read thru the book yet.
I won't be surprised there is only a reset button as Lexus has changed the way the TPMS is registered in the system. On my RX, I can only see the reset button as well. So every time you swap a set of tires and rims, you follow the procedure in the manual to register your other set of TPMS..

I was told by a tire shop previously that with two set of TPMS on the system, Toyota has some problems occasionally which busted the system somehow, So Lexus/ Toyota has changed the design by using a reset button.
Old 07-08-13, 04:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by AndyL
I won't be surprised there is only a reset button as Lexus has changed the way the TPMS is registered in the system. On my RX, I can only see the reset button as well. So every time you swap a set of tires and rims, you follow the procedure in the manual to register your other set of TPMS..

I was told by a tire shop previously that with two set of TPMS on the system, Toyota has some problems occasionally which busted the system somehow, So Lexus/ Toyota has changed the design by using a reset button.
Thanks AndyL. As you know, I'm strongly considering purchasing a winter tire set for my 3IS. So if the 3IS is like the RX, it looks like I can buy a new winter set with new TPMS valves and reset/register it myself without going to Lexus?
Old 07-08-13, 10:02 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks AndyL. As you know, I'm strongly considering purchasing a winter tire set for my 3IS. So if the 3IS is like the RX, it looks like I can buy a new winter set with new TPMS valves and reset/register it myself without going to Lexus?
I think it is possible. Even for 2IS, I didn't buy winter tires from Lexus. Only the TPMS from the dealership. Find a tire shop who is familiar and good at TPMS and you should be fine. But i forgot whether I had the dealership to register the TPMS to the system or it was the tire shop. Have to check with tire shop again.

For the RX, I believe I had the tire shop putting everything together (TPMS, tires and wheels)
Old 12-09-15, 02:07 AM
DomLec
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got myself a second set of wheels for winter. I also bought the TPMS transmiter for them and they are installed right now. Unfortunately the TPMS on my 3IS only has 1 memory slot and I haven't find a way or the tool to flush that memory and be able to do the switch myself. Since the dealership charges me $75 to do it, I rather research and buy the goddamn tool so I can do it myself. So for now, on my winter tire set, I have a permanent warning light on in the dash...

Anybody know what is needed to do this at home?
Old 12-09-15, 04:22 AM
Habit7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATEQ QuickSet Tool

I purchased one of these and have successfully retrieved the current TPMS sensor codes from the ECU. I'm not anticipating any issues with uploading new TPMS sensor codes to the ECU (overwriting current set). Still waiting for winter tires to arrive so it will be a few days before I can confirm. Purchased tool from www.racing king.ca
Old 12-09-15, 07:54 AM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An alternative to reprogramming your TPMS is to get clone type sensors. I did it and had them cloned to my OEM sensors. They work perfectly on my winter tires and I never have to get the ECU reprogrammed. The only disadvantage is that they were about $20 more each compared to the regular TPMS. It's worth it though because Lexus quoted me $65 for each time they have to reprogram it.
Old 12-09-15, 08:08 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by goldengame
An alternative to reprogramming your TPMS is to get clone type sensors. I did it and had them cloned to my OEM sensors. They work perfectly on my winter tires and I never have to get the ECU reprogrammed. The only disadvantage is that they were about $20 more each compared to the regular TPMS. It's worth it though because Lexus quoted me $65 for each time they have to reprogram it.
Can your clone type sensors display pressures per location on the dash? Mine didn't and I waited for 2 years (Sep 2013) before I gave up having my IS as a testbed for Bartec and demanded the tire shop to replace them with OEM sensors recently. Problem solves. Pressure comes up on the dash and I find it very crucial to see what is happening in winter driving.

FYI - mine are EZsensors which have not been easy for me. My tire shop claims the problem lies with the programming and it is on the Toyota/Lexus side that Bartec USA couldn't resolve yet.
Old 12-09-15, 08:32 AM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Can your clone type sensors display pressures per location on the dash? Mine didn't and I waited for 2 years (Sep 2013) before I gave up having my IS as a testbed for Bartec and demanded the tire shop to replace them with OEM sensors recently. Problem solves. Pressure comes up on the dash and I find it very crucial to see what is happening in winter driving.

FYI - mine are EZsensors which have not been easy for me. My tire shop claims the problem lies with the programming and it is on the Toyota/Lexus side that Bartec USA couldn't resolve yet.
Mine report the actual pressure levels to the car. I bought them and had it cloned at OKTire in Canada. Lexus warned me that it may not report the values, but I decided to take the risk and it ended up being fine

Quick Reply: Missing TPMS reset switch