Top of the range 3 series = 335i
Top of the range IS = IS350

Base IS = IS200d (discontinued)
Base 3 series = 316i/d, 318i/d

midrange 3 series = 320i/d, 325i/d, 328i
midrange IS = IS220d, IS250, IS300h

Top range 3 series = 330i/d, 335i/d, M3
Top range IS = IS350, IS-F

Last edited by UpSideDown; 07-24-13 at 02:22 AM.
Old 07-24-13, 07:38 PM
Stillhart
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright everyone, I'm just going to leave this here for posterity:

I've decided to go with the BMW 335i. I think both the Lexus and the BMW have great styling, inside and out. It's a matter of if you like the Euro or the Japanese styling. I have no strong preference either way so that's a wash for me. I think they both have great handling, with the slight advantage to the Lexus. I think they both have lots of cool tech bling, though the BMW can be optioned to have more than the Lexus. The Lexus should be the more reliable car, but it's the first model year and it's only been out a month so hard to say at this point.

The main differentiator between these two is clearly the engine. The Lexus engine is just not that great and the BMW engine is just spectacular. If they were close to the same (like if I were comparing the IS350 to the 328i), the Lexus would probably have gotten my choice, but it's not close.

Once I realized that I was already looking around to see what I could buy to increase the power on the IS, I knew it wasn't the car for me. The BMW has the power already and needs no mods.

As a bonus, they started making the current BMW in 2012, meaning you can get used ones! I have found several with almost every option available and less than 10k miles for $10-15k under MSRP. They're still under warranty, etc. I can afford a new one, but why bother when I can get an almost new one for less than the IS?

For me right now, the BMW is the better car. Good luck to everyone who finds themselves in the same dilemma. I think you can't go wrong with either car. I said it before and I'll say it again, I actually WANTED to like the Lexus more. It took me a while to realize that I just don't. I wouldn't blame anyone for choosing the Lexus.

EDIT - Oh, and THANK YOU! I appreciate all the great input and feedback I got in this thread and on the forum.

Last edited by Stillhart; 07-24-13 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-24-13, 09:00 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stillhart
The main differentiator between these two is clearly the engine. The Lexus engine is just not that great and the BMW engine is just spectacular. If they were close to the same (like if I were comparing the IS350 to the 328i), the Lexus would probably have gotten my choice, but it's not close.

[...]

For me right now, the BMW is the better car. Good luck to everyone who finds themselves in the same dilemma. I think you can't go wrong with either car. I said it before and I'll say it again, I actually WANTED to like the Lexus more. It took me a while to realize that I just don't. I wouldn't blame anyone for choosing the Lexus.
As I was reading your post, I thought I was reading my own thread I started lately to compare the 335 and IS350! Engine was the main reason I was drawn to the 335. I too really wanted to like the Lexus more. In fact, I still love the car and hope they change the engine for 2015. But from driving both cars back-to-back on the same day, the 335's engine was just superior in every possible way. I'm definitely getting the 2015 IS if they change the engine (335 is my wife's hehe...).

Both cars are good choices, and I wouldn't consider the S4, Q50 or any other car of the category. IS and 335 FTW!

Last edited by Aeromotive; 07-24-13 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-25-13, 03:09 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Stillhart
Alright everyone, I'm just going to leave this here for posterity:

I've decided to go with the BMW 335i. I think both the Lexus and the BMW have great styling, inside and out. It's a matter of if you like the Euro or the Japanese styling. I have no strong preference either way so that's a wash for me. I think they both have great handling, with the slight advantage to the Lexus. I think they both have lots of cool tech bling, though the BMW can be optioned to have more than the Lexus. The Lexus should be the more reliable car, but it's the first model year and it's only been out a month so hard to say at this point.

Once I realized that I was already looking around to see what I could buy to increase the power on the IS, I knew it wasn't the car for me. The BMW has the power already and needs no mods.

As a bonus, they started making the current BMW in 2012, meaning you can get used ones! I have found several with almost every option available and less than 10k miles for $10-15k under MSRP. They're still under warranty, etc. I can afford a new one, but why bother when I can get an almost new one for less than the IS?

EDIT - Oh, and THANK YOU! I appreciate all the great input and feedback I got in this thread and on the forum.
I know that you've already made your choice but I thought you might be interested in this IS vs ATS vs 3 series review.

Seems like the reviewers echo your thoughts but their priorities in judging a car are different from yours leading them to make the opposite decision from yours :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8056838