Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Saw 3 at the dealership today... impressions

Old 07-05-13, 08:24 PM   #1
dseag2
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

Default Saw 3 at the dealership today... impressions

Black/Flaxen Luxury- Very sharp. Like the Flaxen interior better in the IS than the GS for some reason. The wood is really nice as well.

Atomic Silver/Black base model- The Atomic Silver is off the charts IMO. It has a bronze tint to it but in no way comes off as gold (kiss of death). The color really has depth and splits the difference between Silver Lining and Nebula Gray. It is a really warm, interesting silver. The only shortcoming is that is isn't offered on the F-Sport.

White/Red F Sport- Love the red interior. Not the bright red like Infiniti and BMW use, but a more subdued red that you can live with everyday. I was also okay with the Nuluxe. It actually seems more grippy than leather for spirited driving. Also, my GS has Nuluxe in quite a few places so I guess I've gotten used to it.

I was impressed with the exterior of the IS, although unlike others have said IMO it didn't differ that much from the pics. It does have a nice stance. I also thought the interior was sharp, and the seats in all models fit like a glove. I think the interior looks upscale, modern and can compete with the best in class.

The F Sport was sitting in the delivery bay and was not driveable, so I will wait until things cool down a bit on the Lexus lots before I go back in for a test drive. I prefer a smaller car, and the IS still has good storage space with the fold-down rear seats. If it drives well, my GS may be sitting on the lot some time in the future. That is, unless a new coupe is announced.

One quick story... there was a guy in a Mercedes E Coupe at the dealership that asked me if that was my GS and how I liked it. Maybe we have another convert.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

dseag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 08:42 PM   #2
SW13GS
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseag2 View Post
Atomic Silver/Black base model- The Atomic Silver is off the charts IMO.
I agree, awesome color, very different. It reminds me of like a nickel type finish, if you think about nickel faucets and things...

2013 GS350 AWD Luxury Package, Liquid Platinum with Flaxen Interior
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, Maximum Steel with Indigo Blue/Brown interior
~Previous Lexus Vehicles~
2010 ES350, 2003 ES300 In the family: 2004 LS430, 1998 LS400
SW13GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 09:03 PM   #3
mush
Pole Position

hows the interior vs 4GS?
i still think the GS is going to be rarer and that is what i like. that cla45 amg looks really nice and its not much more than a is350 f sport
Old 07-05-13, 09:09 PM   #4
SW13GS
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mush View Post
hows the interior vs 4GS?
I obviously will let dseag respond since he was who you were asking, but I felt the interior was a clear step down from the GS which I was expecting. Materials are much better in the GS, finishing is much better and the overall feel is significantly more upscale in the GS.

With that said, overall I thought the interior of the 3IS was very good for its price point, some hard plastics but mainly the lower doors and lower door panel materials that are out of touch range. I do feel the interior quality is better in the IS than the new ES.

2013 GS350 AWD Luxury Package, Liquid Platinum with Flaxen Interior
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, Maximum Steel with Indigo Blue/Brown interior
~Previous Lexus Vehicles~
2010 ES350, 2003 ES300 In the family: 2004 LS430, 1998 LS400
SW13GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 11:08 PM   #5
Hoovey2411
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (16)

Quote:
Atomic Silver/Black base model- The Atomic Silver is off the charts IMO. It has a bronze tint to it but in no way comes off as gold (kiss of death). The color really has depth and splits the difference between Silver Lining and Nebula Gray. It is a really warm, interesting silver. The only shortcoming is that is isn't offered on the F-Sport.
F-Sport in Atomic Silver elsewhere outside the States. Shame, Lexus makes another blunder

Click the image to open in full size.
|Version 3.5 |TLN #918|
GIANTS|NINERS|SHARKS|WARRIORS
Hoovey2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 02:34 AM   #6
Fizzboy7
Lexus Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Fizzboy7

The GS is a much greater car than the IS. Keep it and enjoy it!
Saw Atomic Silver the other day and it looked like silver with a layer of dirt on it. It was depressing.
Old 07-06-13, 10:29 AM   #7
HIDPH
Sponsor
Trader Score: (5)

Yes, I have to admit that the GS is much more upscale and offers more given its higher price point. The 3IS is more of a fun factor thing and probably has more aftermarket parts available for customization. I love both the IS and GS and they both offer different things (both of awesome cars). Lexus has done a great job with the F-Sport line imo.
HIDPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 12:41 PM   #8
Hoovey2411
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDPH View Post
Yes, I have to admit that the GS is much more upscale and offers more given its higher price point. The 3IS is more of a fun factor thing and probably has more aftermarket parts available for customization. I love both the IS and GS and they both offer different things (both of awesome cars). Lexus has done a great job with the F-Sport line imo.
There's no need to admit anything. The GS is a nicer car. Materials speak for themselves. IS and GS are catered to two different demographics. The common denometer between the two is they both own the fun factor of their segments in certain trims
|Version 3.5 |TLN #918|
GIANTS|NINERS|SHARKS|WARRIORS
Hoovey2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 01:30 PM   #9
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW13GS View Post
I obviously will let dseag respond since he was who you were asking, but I felt the interior was a clear step down from the GS which I was expecting. Materials are much better in the GS, finishing is much better and the overall feel is significantly more upscale in the GS.

With that said, overall I thought the interior of the 3IS was very good for its price point, some hard plastics but mainly the lower doors and lower door panel materials that are out of touch range. I do feel the interior quality is better in the IS than the new ES.
I completely agree on all counts.

dseag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 02:45 AM   #10
jagged
Driver School Candidate

4GS interiors are very refined and more luxurious than 3IS.

In my opinion, what probably hurts 4GS' potential is that the new ES is already out and competes with it in the Lexus showroom. So a customer looking for a mid-sized sedan may be in a dilemma whether to go for more comfort at a lower price point or go sporty driving at a premium.
jagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 02:45 AM

Tags
350, atomic, cabernet, gs, lexus, liquid, silver, sport