IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Had a chance to ride in and sit in a 14' 350 F-Sport, rambling thoughts vs 07 IS350

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-13, 11:23 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok saw this and had to chime in. Just drove our dealerships first 2014 IS 350 F sport AWD about 150 miles to the customers house. I really like what they did with the suspension. These things are much smoother and handle better than the 2IS's. On the interstate the car was almost "too quiet" compared to the 2IS. In sport mode there is not much body roll, and I think I got this thing up to 75 or 80 on an entrance ramp before the tires started squeeling and started to let go. I do really love the way it handles. After 150 miles and close to 2 hours of drive time It really did leave me wanting more though. I figured with the 3.5 and same 6 speed as the GS, this car would have to be quicker. It might be quicker by the numbers, but it didn't feel or sound like it in the "butt-o-meter Something about this cars feels what I can only describe as "un-eventful". Might be the electric power steering.?.? I don't know. Keep in mind this was an AWD F sport so It wasn't the 8 speed transmission. Maybe that makes things a bit more exciting? When it's time for my next one, I'm going GS for sure. It just feels so much more involving to drive.
Old 07-05-13, 11:26 AM
DrivenSoul
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I was seriously starting to doubt my own abilities HAHA I guess my idea of feeling a car through the passenger seat or even watching from the outside is less innovative than I thought!

Glashub if it's the engine noise that's bothering you, I know the new FR-S/BRZ and I thought the lexus has it too is this "sound generator" pipe that pumps engine noise into the cabin when you get on the gas... You could try figuring out where it is and plugging the bugger up to see if it helps. As far as suspension... I think the only way around it is new springs, I hope Swift Springs will make some springs for it or any other company as long as the drop isn't too aggressive, you could get away with them on stock shocks at least for a while!

Last edited by DrivenSoul; 07-05-13 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-05-13, 11:27 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DrivenSoul
I don't think you understand that you have your own opinions in this world as does everyone else. No one wants to hear 2 pages of high-nosed talk... Ever. I got the point in your first post, and I acknowledged it, respected your feedback, took it into consideration, but stood by mine. Not because I think mine is more right, but I know what my thoughts were and I'm just putting onto the screen what I thought. If anyone reads this and thinks I'm wrong, nothing is stopping them from experiencing the car for themselves and making their own opinions on it.

In fact it would be great if they read my post and felt perplexed. Because if it moves them to check one out in real life, they can get rid of the tons of useless praise for the new IS that is all over the net and actually judge it for themselves. If I was wrong and they can't confirm anything about what I said, then they know for sure it's an excellent car! And I was wrong! *shrugs*
Don't worry about him. He tried to tell me I can't determine I don't like the car unless I drive it first, even though the majority of my gripes had nothing to do with driving dynamics. He also tried to tell me there's no way I can estimate acceleration figures and determine for myself it wouldn't have the performance I'd want to have in my next vehicle, even though at the time we already knew it was using an identical power plant in a heavier car as the current IS 350 which is what I have now. He has a habit of attacking an individuals opinion when it doesn't agree with his own.
Old 07-05-13, 11:36 AM
DrivenSoul
Rookie

Haha that's what I figured, but I still let it get to me! There isn't only one way to look at things. I guess I was just trying to explain to him that.
Old 07-05-13, 12:51 PM
Tonyy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your thoughts OP. It's nice to hear EVERYONE's opinions and thoughts. No one is right or wrong and unfortunately that other member came off like a douche.

Everyone has a right to speak their own mind. It's when others tell you it should be "this way", "that way" , or "what you think is wrong" is when it gets out of hand.
Old 07-05-13, 01:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I never said anybody was wrong...I just said that in order to know how a car handles and drives you need to drive it, not just ride in it..a viewpoint that was shared by several other members not just me. I don't see how anybody can fault the logic in that.
Old 07-05-13, 01:00 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I feel like we're stuck in some bizarre Flat-Earth Society where people are arguing that the planet is not round.

Are we now actually taking seriously reviews on car-handling which don't actually involve driving the car?

Last edited by natnut; 07-05-13 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-05-13, 01:15 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Somehow, reviews like these on chassis dynamics and car suspension seem more credible to me than the OP's non-driving "handling review".

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

First Place : 2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport

on any other type of road, the IS clearly exhibits Lexus’s traditional top priority: serenity. On typical highway surfaces, minute twitches in the steering wheel and nearly imperceptible shifts of the body offer only the slightest hint of what lurks within. But charge into a series of quick bends and the IS completely changes its character. Turn-in is crisper in the Lexus than in either the BMW or the Cadillac, a fact borne out by its first-place slalom finish in spite of a mediocre skidpad performance.
Highs:
A most delightful split personality, heavenly seats.

Lows:
Can feel remote and lazy when insufficiently challenged.

Verdict:
Slumbering Lexus wakes up, woos us, and wins us over.
I'd say Matt Farah has some credibility as a car reviewer as well :

Guess what? Car and Driver and Matt Farah agree with my own personal test-drive impressions. I'm more inclined to believe them than the OP's "review" from the passenger seat.
Old 07-05-13, 01:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by natnut
Are we now actually taking seriously reviews on car-handling which don't actually involve driving the car?
Believe it LOL. I can't believe I am getting any resistance at all to the idea that one needs to have driven the car to know how it handles or drives. To me thats just basic logic. You have a couple people here who just want to dislike this car for whatever reason, to justify keeping their 2IS's or whatever and they will latch onto any negative feedback, even from somebody who's only experience is being driven around the block by a Lexus salesman. Somehow we're supposed to swallow that as equal to our own experiences having driven the car? Or the published reviews from professional test drivers who compared it directly to its competition?

To the OP, why didn't you drive the car yourself?

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-05-13 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-05-13, 01:21 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Thanks guys, I was seriously starting to doubt my own abilities HAHA I guess my idea of feeling a car through the passenger seat or even watching from the outside is less innovative than I thought!

Glashub if it's the engine noise that's bothering you, I know the new FR-S/BRZ and I thought the lexus has it too is this "sound generator" pipe that pumps engine noise into the cabin when you get on the gas... You could try figuring out where it is and plugging the bugger up to see if it helps. As far as suspension... I think the only way around it is new springs, I hope Swift Springs will make some springs for it or any other company as long as the drop isn't too aggressive, you could get away with them on stock shocks at least for a while!
DrivenSoul, if you read carefully. 2GSKaizen and Glashub are actually DISAGREEING with you on the handling of the 2014 IS. And yes, both of them have actually driven the 2014 IS.
Old 07-05-13, 01:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by natnut
DrivenSoul, if you read carefully. 2GSKaizen and Glashub are actually DISAGREEING with you on the handling of the 2014 IS. And yes, both of them have actually driven the 2014 IS.
I was going to be nice and not point that out LOL Glashub's issue with noise is in his 2IS loaner which he hates, not his new 3IS.
Old 07-05-13, 01:31 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Everyone has the right to an opinion.
Notice how 2GSKaizen and Glashub simply voice their opinion on the car - without negatively quoting another member, without making it personal, and without denying another member of the right to an opinion.
Old 07-05-13, 01:44 PM
DrivenSoul
Rookie

oops well at least UpSideDown kinda agrees, I was quickly going down the thread and noticed he posted twice, he actually wasn't two people.

And Pete, thanks for the feedback. I never look at something and say it's good or perfect etc. I always try to find the flaw in things, maybe it's just my mentality but if someone told me something was perfect, I would still tear it down in my mind and come to the conclusion for myself, I'm not going to just trust what someone says because they have a big magazine logo above the review. I interned with an automotive magazine for half a year in the editorial department and YES I even had an article or two and you know what? Everyone there is just regular people, only difference is they are working to write their opinion on things not just doing it for fun as I am here. At the end of the day it's still only an opinion granted we got more technical and had some more facts.. Same idea.
Old 07-05-13, 01:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I interned with an automotive magazine for half a year in the editorial department and YES I even had an article or two and you know what? Everyone there is just regular people, only difference is they are working to write their opinion on things not just doing it for fun as I am here. At the end of the day it's still only an opinion granted we got more technical and had some more facts.. Same idea.
Uh. no. The difference is they thoroughly test (which includes, yes, driving) each car before they write their viewpoints.

Are you really saying that your passenger side ride down the street with a Lexus salesman driving is "the same kind of thing just less technical and with less facts" as a thorough comparison road and track test by an automotive publication?!?!

Is this Mars? Am I being punk'd or something?
Old 07-05-13, 02:00 PM
DrivenSoul
Rookie

I'm baffled you can't get through your head still that I have said nothing this entire time about driving dynamics as you like to put it and only on the way the car rides while on my ride in the car.

You're punking yourself out of this world with your delirium and resistance man.. lol

Quick Reply: Had a chance to ride in and sit in a 14' 350 F-Sport, rambling thoughts vs 07 IS350