IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Oil Change advice on a new 3IS

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-13, 03:15 PM
mmims2000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change advice on a new 3IS

Hey guys, fairly new to the forum and just wanted throw out a question in hopes someone has some good advice.. I took the plunge last weekend a bought a beautiful new Obsidian on Rioja Red 350RWD F-Sport, that I just LOVE. Now, as the original owner of the car, I want to take the best care possible of it, and make sure it lasts for a long time.

I'm used to the old-school philosophy of changing the oil shortly after purchasing (i.e. at like 500 or 1000 miles), and then keeping up with regular oil changes every 3k (regular) or 5k (synthetic). The owner's manual suggests the first oil change be at 10k miles unless driving in really harsh conditions (which I don't at all). Do you think it's worth changing the oil right away or should I wait until the first service? I'm also strongly hesitant to wait 10k miles between subsequent changes because it just goes against everything I've been taught over the years, even with synthetic oil (which I plan to use after my 1st oil change). However, that's what the owner's manual says to do and it seems like manufacturer would know best.

What do you guys think? It seems like relatively cheap maintenance to change the oil more often in order to keep the car running well, but if there is absolutely no need to do this to newer cars, than I'll save myself the money (especially since I'm using synthetic) and hassle. Thanks guys!
Old 07-03-13, 03:26 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. I test drove a 3IS earlier this week and it was awesome

3k is way too often, even the factory service interval is 5k for regular oil. Synthetic you can probably go 10k-15k. Oils are a lot better now, engines burn cleaner, 3k oil changes are an old relic. The owners manual for the new IS says its 10k oil changes now? I know for 2IS it was every 5k.

If you feel unsure you can send your oil off to blackstone labs for an oil analysis and TBN count. They can then recommend you a service interval and most likely the true service interval will be more then 5k which the factory recommends on regular. I've started shifting the vehicles at the house to synthetic just to get longer intervals out of them and therefore less labor.
Old 07-03-13, 03:28 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer is giving me free oil change/service at 1,000 miles and 5,000 miles.. I've read alot about how engines have progressed and the need for 3k or even 5k oil change intervals are simply not needed. I think the recommended intervals now are 10k-15k.

I think thats how Jiffy Lube and those places stay in business is by sticking to the old school methods, lol
Old 07-03-13, 03:35 PM
mmims2000
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Congrats on the purchase. I test drove a 3IS earlier this week and it was awesome

3k is way too often, even the factory service interval is 5k for regular oil. Synthetic you can probably go 10k-15k. Oils are a lot better now, engines burn cleaner, 3k oil changes are an old relic. The owners manual for the new IS says its 10k oil changes now? I know for 2IS it was every 5k.

If you feel unsure you can send your oil off to blackstone labs for an oil analysis and TBN count. They can then recommend you a service interval and most likely the true service interval will be more then 5k which the factory recommends on regular. I've started shifting the vehicles at the house to synthetic just to get longer intervals out of them and therefore less labor.
Thanks for the advice! Yah, my owner's manual suggests every oil changes at 10k, 20k, 30k, etc., and makes a provision for changes at 5k, 15k, 25k, etc. if driving under really harsh conditions.
Old 07-03-13, 03:46 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

most cars get classified under harsh conditions anyways but if you want to find out for sure the blackstone oil analysis will tell you

your dealer didnt give you any free oil changes for purchasing the car? Usually get 2 years of changes. I started doing my own oil recently with synthetic
Old 07-03-13, 04:04 PM
mmims2000
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
most cars get classified under harsh conditions anyways but if you want to find out for sure the blackstone oil analysis will tell you

your dealer didnt give you any free oil changes for purchasing the car? Usually get 2 years of changes. I started doing my own oil recently with synthetic
I have two free services -- 5k and 10k -- but at 5k they don't really do much. The oil change comes at 10k. I've never heard about the blackstone alaysis, but that is a great suggestion and definitely something I'll look into!
Old 07-03-13, 05:01 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Brand new, I've always changed the oil at 50-75 miles on the odometer. Then at the 5k, and every 5k afterwards.
Old 07-03-13, 06:34 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

my dealer usually recommends 700 for first service. followed by 8000 every subsequent services.
Old 07-03-13, 06:56 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Lexus changed the oil change interval for 3IS. For 2IS I remember doing one at 1k for first oil change and program personalized settings but now it's 5k and you can pretty much customized the car in setting. No need to have dealer do it.
Old 07-03-13, 06:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I had them change the oil at 5K, and then obviously at 10k, and I will go to 10k changes as per the manual from now on.

Congrats on your new car!
Old 07-03-13, 07:03 PM
Zlots
Driver School Candidate

I was looking through the Lexus Warranty and Services guide and the first section is called "complimentary services". It lists the first 2 services as free, 5k and 10k. I think people need to know that these are included in the purchase of the car and shouldn't be considered something "given" to you. Hopefully sales people aren't try to pass that off as such.
Old 07-03-13, 07:04 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I stopped by my local Valvoline oil change place. The guy wouldn't even do the oil change. Told me I'd be wasting my money. That the car comes with break in oil and that engines are typically flushed at the factory. He told me to wait until 5k miles. This is a guy who makes money doing oil changes.
Old 07-03-13, 07:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

It really doesn't need to be changed even at 5k miles, BUT, these engines do not come with break in oil.
Old 07-03-13, 07:20 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't even know how breakin oil differs from regular oil. Two people at my dealership told me to wait until at least 5k but if it made me feel better than to go ahead and change it as often as I like.
Old 07-03-13, 08:29 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
I stopped by my local Valvoline oil change place. The guy wouldn't even do the oil change. Told me I'd be wasting my money. That the car comes with break in oil and that engines are typically flushed at the factory. He told me to wait until 5k miles. This is a guy who makes money doing oil changes.
They may make their money doing oil changes, but they didn't design the car. Lexus has no desire to cause problems down the road by lengthening the oil change interval. Unless you are in a severe service mode just do what the manual says and change it at 10k. No car has break in oil anymore, that is a thing of the distant past. Many people do the first change at some low mileage because, well, that's the way dad and granddad did it. A Lexus is not your dad's or grandfather's car.

I would never take a Lexus to the quickie oil change places....either do it yourself or have Lexus do it for peace of mind.

Last edited by Evitzee; 07-03-13 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Change advice on a new 3IS